EchoStar Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.7

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at EchoStar (West Lafayette, IN) in September 2012.

Interview

Met them at the Career Fair. Ended talking with them at the fair for around 45 minutes. With Echostar, be prepared for a technical interview. The interview itself was relaxed. They ask you about the items you put on your resume.

Interview Questions

• Please write some code to show you would implement a Singleton Pattern.   Answer Question

Senior Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at EchoStar (Gilbert, AZ) in July 2012.

Interview

2 long months of getting dragged through the interviewing slop, 2 phone interviews and 3 onsite interviews, online testing as well as an online stress test, they interviewed me like i was a convict in review for parole, i was grilled by 4 people about everything from how specific equipment was used to if i was bullied in high-school, it was very intense

Interview Questions

• the one i remember quite well because it seemed to be a trick question was "does rain reflect or absorb an RF signal"   2 Answers

Negotiation

there was no negotiation, it was a take it or leave it offer

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at EchoStar (Atlanta, GA) in October 2011.

Interview

The process started my schools (Clemson) career fair. After Talking to the two representatives they took my resume and invited me to an on campus interview the next day. Most of the questions were based off my resume with few technical questions. A few weeks later I received an email inviting me to their "career day" where they brought in about 15 other interviewees. They split us into two groups and interviewed the first group and gave the second group a tour and had them fill out some paper work. Then the two groups switched. We were fed lunch then it was over around 2pm.

The technical questions asked were along the lines of

Question: What happens when you try to free a null pointer

Question: What is the difference between a process and a thread

Question: What is the difference between the stack and the heap

Question: What is "yoda conditions"
       Answer: this is an obscure question so i'll provide an answer.

Normally you'd write an if conditional like this: if( ch1 == '_' ); however, if you use yoda conditions "if('_' == ch1) { ... }" it allows the compiler to catch the occasional typo "if('_' = ch1) { ..}" i.e. the compiler will say you cannot assign a value to a constant thus catching your error (not typing if('_' == ch1)).

Also they gave us a print out of a program with several errors and we had to identify them all and give suggestions on how to correct them. Make you know what a unit8 is and how using that could be bad for processing a string.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you try to free a null pointer   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between a process and a thread   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between the stack and the heap   1 Answer
    • What is the deference between a semaphore and a mutex   2 Answers

Had a better offer with a better company

Program Manager II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EchoStar (Cheyenne, WY) in September 2011.

Interview

Excellent Interview. Very knowledge and personable. The position seems overwhelming and was able to talk through the details with the interviewers. Had a tour of the buildings. Quite easy going.

Sustaining Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at EchoStar (Atlanta, GA) in August 2011.

Interview

I applied online and after sometime got an email saying that a manager would like to do a phone interview. It took some days to set up the interview time. The interview was to be about a week from the initial contact. There was some confusion with the time zone difference, so had to reschedule. At the end of the interview, the manager told me that if I do not get any response in 2 weeks, that means I am no longer considered for further interviews. By then, I figured it was the end of the road for me.

Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at EchoStar (Englewood, CO) in July 2011.

Interview

I took a test online as part of the application process, before being called for the interview. The test is a weed out. After being called to interview, I went in and there was an onsite test to check basic abilities, it was multiple choice and timed. I interviewed with 3 people all asking questions. One person was the supervisor that I'd be working under. Then, I was told that they would contact me with a decision. I got a call within a week or two.

Interview Questions

• It's been a long time, so I don't remember many specific questions that they ask. I seem to remember that there were general questions about my work history and being asked to describe how I had handled prior work issues.   Answer Question

Technical Support Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at EchoStar (Christiansburg, VA) in June 2011.

Interview

Slow, took 4 weeks to call back

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiations

Hardware Intern Interview

Application

interviewed at EchoStar (Atlanta, GA) in March 2011.

Interview

The first round of interviews were on the college campus. This interview took about 15 minutes and I was given a basic explanation of some of the design work that was done in Echostar and was asked some basic questions about my resume. About 2 weeks later I was asked to visit their company, which is also where the 2nd round of interview took place. This time I was also asked mostly questions regarding my resume. They approached me with an offer about a month after the interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to recall a few specific details regarding a project I had completed several years back.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EchoStar (Cheyenne, WY) in January 2011.

Interview

I had two phone interviews last around an hour each. After the second interview I made numerous attempts to speak to someone regarding the position without any luck. The managing engineer kept saying he would call back, but that they were extremely busy.

Interview Questions

• Describe the communications protocol used for satellite communication.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EchoStar (Denver, CO) in September 2010.

Interview

Odd interview process. Initial screen was an online IQ test which took approx 2 hours to complete. Although I was interviewing for a management position, I suspect they probably administer this same test to everyone from call center employees to directors. Second interview was a technical phone screen which start with a series of basic programming skills questions, but after it became clear I was competent, mostly turned into a what projects have you worked on discussion. Onsite interview consisted of another IQ test, followed by a panel interview with a senior manager and two first line "managers" who probably would not have qualified as team leads in previous companies I had worked. HR contacts had declined to discuss reporting structure or salary range prior to the interview, but it became clear early in the interview that we had a disconnect on seniority level. They also distributed their benefits package to me, which indicated they covered 50% of the employees health insurance, provided up to a 2% 401k match, and no bonuses, stock options, or comp time.

Good luck guys.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the things you might consider when designing a database?   1 Answer