EchoStar

Relevance Date Difficulty

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Supply Chain Intern
Englewood, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar in March 2010.

Interview Details – Consisted of 2 phone conference interviews, no face interview. Both phone interviews consisted of behavioral interview questions. The first interview consisted of a manager and team member, the second consisted of two managers. Inquiry of technical skills pertaining to Microsoft Office as well as related industry experience. Lack of communication, expectations, and direction within the department; no department-specific job training offered. No prior goal or project established. Internship did offer some perks that a regular new hire wouldn't receive such as: Low Ropes leadership and team building, company specific training courses, and company networking opportunities. Employees did not seem to have a positive attitude about their company; numerous employees warned to consider other opportunities. Culture was confusing and indecisive. At first the department expected 45 hours per week, then it was stated from another internal source not to work over 40 due to being an hourly employee.

Interview Question – various behavioral questions were asked. "Tell me about a time when..."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Housing was negotiated to be provided separate to pay.

Very Easy Interview

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Denver, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at EchoStar in March 2009.

Interview Details – This is an interview for Hardware Engineering Intern for Echostar. It was very behavioral. Was asked questions related my resume only.

Interview Question – What are your weakness and strengths?   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Engineer I
Cheyenne, WY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar in January 2011.

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews last around an hour each. After the second interview I made numerous attempts to speak to someone regarding the position without any luck. The managing engineer kept saying he would call back, but that they were extremely busy.

Interview Question – Describe the communications protocol used for satellite communication.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Denver, CO

The process took a day - interviewed at EchoStar in November 2008.

Interview Details – I was called for an on-site interview. I was interviewed by 2 engineers for the Software Engineering position. I was asked some puzzle type question, eg. If there are 13 identical looking balls, and all except for one weigh the same, how will you tell which one? I was also asked some basic C programming questions. Mostly data structures and thread related.

Interview Question – After the interviewers introduced themselves, they asked me to repeat their names.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Englewood, CO

The process took 3 days - interviewed at EchoStar in May 2010.

Interview Details – Very good interview process. I had a phone interview followed by a one on one interview which was followed by an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of three interviews. I was asked questions like
1) Linux questions, like child processes etc.
2) Some basic data structure questions.
3) Network based questions, such as how routing works, how do you deal with low bandwidth scenarios etc...

Interview Questions

Senior Compresstion Techniction Interview

Senior Compresstion Techniction
Spokane, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at EchoStar in March 2009.

Interview Details – 1st contact was through E-Mail referal. Hiring Manager contacted me and performed phone interview. came in for a 1on 1 and phone igroup nterview w/ senior management. Questions pertained to my knowledge base w/ industry specific test like questions. Other questions were typical self evaluation type of questions. Performed wonderlick IQ test. Drug Screening prior to offer letter.

Interview Question – How would you describe your most difficult decision and describe the results of this decision.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Denver, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at EchoStar in May 2009.

Interview Details – The initial interview was at a college recruiting fair. It was basic, general educational/work background. After a month, I was flown out to Denver for on-site interview. There I had a number of 1:1 interviews, a couple competency tests, and a 2 hour group interview where I was insulted by one of the participants numerous times. Very uncomfortable environment

Interview Question – From looking at your resume it appears you just go along with whatever anyone tells you to do, so why are you here?   View Answer

Engineer I Interview

Engineer I
Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at EchoStar in November 2008.

Interview Details – Saw an ad in the newspaper. There was a open house interview date. At the open house an application form was filled. Followed immediately by a panel interview and a one on one interview.

A technical talk on past projects. A discussion on interest in working on linux platforms. The match was for a embedded engineer therefore ability to work with both hardware and software was discussed.

Following the Job offer mandatory criminal and drug tests are conducted.

Interview Question – What is the most challenging problem that I faced?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No not really. Salary is below average

Engineering Technician Interview

Engineering Technician
Gilbert, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at EchoStar in December 2009.

Interview Details – Received call from recruiter asking very broad questions about my experience, reasons for applying and salary requirements. Recruiter was very friendly and explained a bit about posted qualifications and what job duties would be.
A few days later received call from a manager and set up a phone interview. Phone interview started with manager asking me to tell him about my life. Manager then asked me to ask questions. I asked manager to talk about who the Echostar Gilbert, AZ facility provides services to and how the uplink services business fits into the Echostar group of companies. I did not get answer to these questions. All I heard about was how Echostar is in business to make money and that only the big company investors should be concerned with this info. I was also told that I was asking questions to only find out what Echostar can do for me. It only went downhill from here. I was asked my nationality, if I was a natural born citizen and where I grew up. Answered these questions and I asked relevance of questions and was given a reply that just because I may not fit into position I was being interviewed for that did not mean I may not fit into other positions at Echostar. Was only asked one technical question the entire interview that lasted about 20 minutes. Seems to me that Echostar does not train their managers on proper interview questions or on how to present the company to potential candidates. Maybe this was just a bad apple manager in the Echostar company tree or it could be the norm based on reviews I found by Echostar employees and former employees on this web site and others. Do your research and weigh the good and bad info you find about Echostar before considering applying for Echostar. After I applied for the Engineering Technician position I did some research and the bad outweighed the good. This was confirmed by this horrible interview experience.

Interview Question – What is your nationality and where did you grow up?   View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Englewood, CO

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at EchoStar in November 2009.

Interview Details – I had applied for a multiple Senior Business Analyst openings. The phone inter view was with the IT Recruiter who asked me some Business Analyst question and then I was told that I would have my resume forwarded to multiple hiring managers. At the end of the phone interview I discussed the salary range and the IT Recruiter specifically asked me if the range for Sr BA would work. It was within the market range and I agreed.
I had to complete some skills and Intelligence testing online after my talk with the recruiter. I got a call two weeks later for a on-site interview with two Managers. I had to complete another Test before the interview. I completed the interview and I was offered the position by one of the manager within an hour. I got the call when I arrived home.
Next I had to complete a Drug test and did not hear back for about two weeks. I knew the IT Recruiter was preganent and thus expected some delay. I got a call back with the news that another IT Recruiter was talking over my hiring process. The new IT Recruiter asked to fill out my salary history which I had left blank.
I was offered the position of Program Manager after 5 weeks.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I was offered a salary which not even close to the market value. I mean they were off by a mile. I was shocked. I asked what was the reason behind the salary reduction from the original conversation and the answer was that I would be paid based on my last salary. I explained that they were not hiring my last salary but rather my experience. I asked that I be hired based on critical goals within time lines so I could get to the market value; to prove my worth.
 I had three interviews going and I decided not to go with Echostar. I figured if I could not trust them with their word on my first experience I did not want more of the same. It was great learning experience and I guess I am qualified for to be a Program Manager.