Echoing Green

3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Echoing Green.

Interview Details – The first round was a 30 minute phone interview with an HR person. A couple of weeks later, I moved on to a second round that included a sit-down interview in Echoing Green's offices with two staff members. I was told that there will be one or two addition rounds of interviews for qualified candidates.

Interview Question – I was asked to share multiple examples of managing and organizing complex projects.   Answer Question

Manager, Social Investment Council Interview

Manager, Social Investment Council
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Echoing Green in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through the standard process. I heard from an outside recruiter offering me an initial phone interview. The recruiter was fantastic throughout the process and the initial interview with her really helped me prepare for the subsequent interviews. The part that did not prepare me well was our salary discussion. She asked my range and despite every effort not to give a number, I felt forced to do so. She said that my number was higher than what they were thinking initially. Assuming that this was a negotiating process, I said that that was ok and I still wanted to move forward, I would be willing to negotiate for the right job. After that interview I was invited to Skype interview with a VP at the company (scheduled about two weeks from first interview). The VP was 10 minutes late and she wasn't as easy a personality as the recruiter. I had trouble finding a way to connect with her. She brought up salary at the end and told me that my number was much higher than what they were able to pay (different language than the recruiter - much higher and able to pay) and seemed very put off by range. I had done my research and was confident that I was asking for a reasonable amount. Nonetheless, I was offered an in-person interview (again, scheduled about two weeks out). In the interim, I was sent two writing assignments. I paid my own way to New York. The interview was schedule in three parts - 1/2 hr each with the VP and a senior associate from the development side and a senior associate from the program side. Again, the VP was running late. The interviews ended up lasting 2.5 hrs, not 1.5 hrs. In addition, the development senior associate included the Director of Development. The Director of Development was personable and it made the interview "easier," the Senior Associate kept asking what seemed like first round interview questions, not third round. The Program Senior Associate was very relaxed and the interview with her was more like a brainstorming session. The VP was no more personable in-person than she had been via Skype. We did not discuss salary at the in-person. I heard from the recruiter less than a week later that I did not get the position. I was given no helpful information as to why not.

Interview Questions

Management Interview

Management

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Echoing Green in December 2010.

Interview Details – Initial communication through headhunter. Very nice people, good energy. I did a one-on-one with my prospective boss then everyone in what would have been my entire department. I also met a number of individuals from other areas of the org. But it did start to get crazy when they asked me to put hours into designing a presentation/pitch. It was a bit much but I did very well. I was sick of the process by the end because I thought they overinterviewed me. Was it really necessary to have everyone and their mother talk to me? I have to say it turned me off because it felt like the place had no boundaries. Plus scheduling was super complicated and annoying, and took a zillion emails.

Interview Question – Easier to explain than to give it verbatim. I pitched funding ideas to a group based on the specs they gave me, but then one of the group members threw a total curve ball and asked about any ideas based on a totally unrelated interest for which I was not prepared.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Partly due to the crazymaking interview process, but more because I got another offer at a higher salary for a better brand for a less challenging job.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Echoing Green? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Echoing Green interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Echoing Green employees and interview candidates.