Ecolab Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

Territory Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ecolab in February 2012.

Phone interviews, 1:1 interview, ride-a-long, hiring process (paperwork)

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer calls to repair a piece of equipment and your on the other side of your territory and it's late in the day?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Salary is set in stone

Route Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Worcester, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ecolab in June 2012.

Posts on Ecolab.com/Careers or Careerbuilder, First is phone screening (Sales background, driver history - if you have a DUI or similar on your record even more than 15 years ago good luck, Technical ability) then the online assessment and after that it's a face to face with the District Manager (how's your selling ability, background, why Ecolab), then it's a face to face with the Area Manager for the same thing. If you're lucky like me they did the interview together as a group panel interview (shaves off a week) followed by an unpaid full day ride along (wear a collared button up shirt preferably white with navy dickies because the rep will bring you into accounts and have you help sometimes and you don't want to mess up your business clothes) then it's the drug/background/driving record tests and a few days or a week later it was the offer

Interview Questions
    • "Try and sell me something", Explain your selling process   View Answer
    There is no negotiating, for my area it was 42k a year (real salary is 7k the rest was commission)

Service Tech Interview

The negative reviews on this website do not say anything! Its lazy people who look for the same thing at every job opportunity they get,. How much money i get?, how much vacation i get?, how many bosses is gonna be around?, how long my lunch breaks?,,,,,,, Good Lord! Could these same people take 5 minutes out of there selfish lives and see what the employer (Ecolab) is giving them and just say "thank you"!?? The ignorance is so abundant on this website I'm surprised they even knew HOW to write a review.

Interview Questions
    What negotiation. Im a fair man and Ecolab is a fair company.

Shared Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eagan, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Ecolab in June 2013.

Application via website -- took 2 different tries to get noticed - position was open for 5months. Networked with former co-worker who had connections at company which helped get my name to the top of the list -- had phone interview -- then testing and interview with HR then interview with 3 supervisors..

Interview Questions
    • No questions too difficult - was just honest about my qualifications and desires for the job   View Answer
    no negotiation - offer was acceptable so I accepted.

Route Sales Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Ecolab.

It took 5 interviews and a ride along, then they told me I had to wait 2 months before I could start. When I started my trainer was on vacation and I was put with a guy who had only been with the company for 6 months or so. My boss had VERY little contact with me leaving me to the trainers way of doing things. Worst 4 months (thats how long training is) of my life. A lot of whole lies and half truths...

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard interview questions... my boss isn't great at thinking outside of the box, unless it helps himself   Answer Question
    They make the pay so confusing, you will never FULLY understand it, and you will get boned at some point.

Territory Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ecolab.

phone interview, district manager interview, area manager interview, day in the field

Interview Questions
    • what would you do if a customer calls during diner and has a dish machine down   View Answer
    no real negotiation. it was take it or leave it

District Manager Pest Elimination Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ecolab.

Hope you aren't in a rush. It can literally take months from application to start date. Multiple interviews, personality profiles, physicals, etc can literally take 8-12 weeks. 4-6 weeks is a fast hire . Begins with a phone interview, followed by typically two face to face interviews. Then you will be asked to ride with and shadow someone for a day, which is good because the intended purpose is to decide if you want to take on the position. After that, you will take a physical, sometimes two depending on the position. Once the physical, MVR, and background results come in you will receive an offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly typical personality profile questions, such as "give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer and the positive outcome" and then of course they flip it and ask for an example of a time when it didn't work out.   View Answer
    There really isn't any negotiation at field level. The pay is fairly standard and they will not pay more than the job is listed for. Think Military pay...an E5 gets E5 pay...period

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Ecolab.

They use "Targeted Selection" questions for their interviews (behavioral interviewing i.e. tell me a time when....what did you do about it?). Several interview rounds before offer is made. Kind of lengthy time frame - first it was a phone interview then a one on one with several people and finally a call back for a one on one with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, in hindsight I wish I would have as I found out later I was at the bottom of the pay range and it is nearly impossible to get decent raises.

Executive Supply Chain Position Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Ecolab.

The initial phone interview was with a person in the recruiting department. Ecolab likes to understand current compensation levels and requirements up front. The initial face-to-face interview was with the hiring manager. This interview was focused on qualifications and fit. The next rounds of interviews consisted of two 1/2 days in the office speaking with folks on the team and key stakeholders. Each interview was a little different but generally focused on skills and fit. I interviewed with 10 employee total. At this point the interviews were finished but Ecolab also required a comprehensive professional assessment for this job band, which consisted of personality profiling, critical reason/logic/quantitative tests/vocabulary tests, a business case study which consisted of timed written assignments and a live mock interview, and an interview with their 3rd party team (about 12 hours of total time).

The offer process was very long and required additional internal approvals which apparently are not granted with the initial job req. The time between their decision to make an offer and the final reply was about three weeks. Unfortunately, their final reply was to halt the offer process. No explanation was provided and none of my follow up inquiries were responded to. They went from preparing my offer package to going completely silent and unresponsive. I was disappointed in the way handled the conclusion of the process.

All that said, those interviewing with Ecolab should understand that an Ecolab offer is not a guaranteed job. I recommend you balance that fact against other potential job offers and respective decision deadlines that you may have available. I turned down a great offer in anticipation of the Ecolab offer and did not end up with either position.

Interview Questions
    • Ecolab likes to hold all the card for compensation negotiation. I was surprised how much detail they required on current and previous compensation packages. They did not want to be the first to propose salary and bonus numbers.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Ecolab in November 2012.

Had the first interview after an engineering career fair, was mostly company knowledge questions (why you want to work for boston, why this position, etc.). Was referred to a recruiter in the location I wanted and kept in contact but then they slowly stopped responding regarding that position.