Econ One Research

Econ One Research Interview Questions

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Econ One Research

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Econ One Research in March 2011.

I should preface this review by saying I was an intern at Econone prior to being interviewed for an Analyst position. With that said, I did not have a phone interview, but still went through the same on-site interview as all other applicants. The on-site interview consisted of a written exam (knowledge of SAS, excel, case study), a one-on-one interview/ review of your test answers, and then a group interview with about 2 or 3 senior employees. In general, the atmosphere proved to be quite a bit more relaxed than previous interviews. Though the interviewers did have questions, the dialogue within the interview tended to be more of a conversation between people and less of a structured/ uncomfortable Q&A. Overall, I had a fairly positive and stress-free experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Econ One Research in February 2011.

I responded to a posting sent to my graduate program distribution list. The point person requested more materials from me, and then we set up a phone screening. An in person interview followed when I was back in town. At that first interview I spoke with the HR point person, a pair of senior analysts, a consultant and an economist and took a skills test which could be completed in SAS or STATA, another quick test in Excel, and case study questions. The skills test answers were all discussed orally, and the test was very low stress. The organization seemed to try to ensure that their hires can fulfill their tasks on the job, so if you are actually qualified, the tests will be no problem.

I was called back for a second interview a couple of weeks later. That interview was with the economists with whom I would actually work were I to be hired and then involved a lunch out with senior analysts. It went very well.

Everyone at the organization is polite, helpful, and smart, along with being very dedicated to their jobs. If I were a candidate, I would want to work at a place that takes its work as seriously as this one does while also being a collegial environment.

Interview Questions
    I had also applied to a couple of graduate programs at the same time as applying for jobs. By the time of the second interview, I knew I had at least one graduate school offer. I told Econ One I was more likely than not to accept the graduate school offer, but if they needed someone temporarily to fill in, I was happy to do that. They considered this for some time while they continued the search for a permanent hire, but then they eventually negotiated an hourly, temporary consulting contract at a fair rate. They have allowed me to take the time I need for personal obligations. I believe that if you can offer a mutually beneficial arrangement for them, they are willing to consider negotiation within reasonable limits, understanding their first preference is for permanent hires on typical conditions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Econ One Research in March 2009.

It was a very smooth process.

Interview Questions
    • Design a random sample protocol for a given experiment.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Econ One Research in March 2011.

After a phone interview with HR, I had an onsite interview, where I took a written test on SAS/STATA, Excel, and a case study, which was followed by a one-on-one interview with an economist, and a panel interview with a senior economist and senior analysts. Everyone was pretty friendly except for one senior analyst who grilled me on my writing samples. The projects seemed interesting enough, but the work-life balance seems lacking: one analyst basically said the employees have no social life on weeknights and weekends when deadlines are looming. I left knowing they weren't planning to hire me, but I wouldn't have accepted even if they had offered me the position. Luckily I had another interview in _______ the previous day with another prospective employer (which reimbursed me for my parking and travel expenses), and I didn't travel all the way to _____ just for Econ One, which had only offered to pay the steep parking fee to park in their beautiful and historic building.