Economical Insurance Group Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Dec 22, 2014
Updated Dec 22, 2014

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

It only took me 20 seconds after meeting the senior hiring manager to decide that I wasn't interested in working for Economical. He treated other employees rudely before we even started the interview!

Reading between the lines of what he and another manager described as the job description, they wanted an experienced technical lead to come in and clean up the mess that they had created, and if you failed you would be the fall-guy. It was a perfect setup, but absolutely disgraceful behaviour. Oh, and apparently people/groups refused to speak to each other so the role also required a talent for walking through political mine fields. Unbelievable! I was so disgusted I simply through the interview, and acted like I didn't know anything which shut it down.

Interview Questions
    • Translating what they really meant was the only challenge, but it wasn't that difficult to decipher.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Economical Insurance Group in November 2014.

Over the phone interview, consisted of going over my previous employments listed on my resume and what I did there. They asked me to list one thing I enjoyed the most, and one thing I enjoyed the least from my previous work experiences. They asked about why I had such an interest working in an insurance industry firm, and what I would be expecting from it. They asked if obtaining my CIP designation as something I was interested in (seems a lot/overqualified for a CSR position...) and where I see myself in 5 years. They asked whether or not I have references, and how I would respond in a situation where someone was calling in with a heated tone of voice. The over-the-phone interview took about 20 minutes, and they said if I was a successful candidate that they would get back to me. This was for a CSR entry level position at the Square One Mississauga, ON location.

The interview was very straightforward in the sense that all the person did was list questions, and type them up (I could hear a clicking keyboard), it wasn't a "back-and-forth" interview per se.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one thing you liked least about your previous employment (for ALL your listed previous employments); how are your previous employment positions related to what you would be doing at EIS?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Economical Insurance Group in September 2014.

contact you via email, phone interview, and then in person interview.
    they explained to you what the job entails in the phone interview, after you got the email for second round, you need to complete a personality test, at the in person interview, they ask you mostly behaviour questions.

Underwriting Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Economical Insurance Group.

Typical questions. Why economical? Why the insurance industry? First interview was done over the phone. After the phone interview I was asked to fill out a data entry test as well as a personality assessment.

Interview Questions
    • The HR recruiter asked if I would have a problem purchasing a parking pass at my own expense (Approx $20/month).   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Economical Insurance Group in January 2014.

I applied online and I received a call asking me to come in for an interview about 2 weeks later. It was a panel consisting of 2 interviewers. The interview was about 45 minutes long and the questions were the usual type. There was nothing unexpected and the interviewers were very nice and accommodating. I received a call 2 weeks later with the news that I was unsuccessful. However, the interviewer couldn't have been nicer about it and even encouraged me to apply in the future as I had some great qualities they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that a co-worker shared something inappropriate with you. What did you do?   View Answer

Claims Interview

Dreadful process from interview to last day of work. No one knows what they are doing.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult personal situation and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    Non Negotiable

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Economical Insurance Group.

Was contacted by the department administrative assistant via phone to set up an in-person interview. I was interviewing with another company at the time, and Economical moved their interview schedules up to coordinate with my other interviews. The interviewers were very friendly, and were very open about what their timelines for getting back to me would be.

Technical Analyst Interview

Very slow and painful.

Interview Questions
    wasn't very pleasant. They wanted someone like me with a vast amount of relevant experience but didn't want to pay for it. Took a few tries. Walked away twice before getting what I wanted.

Underwriting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Economical Insurance Group in June 2012.

first got the phone call from leader to schedule date to interview , and interview 1:1 for twice after 2weeks got the phone call and confired which day come to work .

Claims Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Economical Insurance Group in June 2010.

The interview takes place with the hiring manager and another team leader. The questions are behaviour based. There is an initial phone interview in some cases. Depending on how familiar your are with this type of interview your interview can be short or longer. Questions are typically similar to this. What is a situation where you initially failed and then succeeded, what steps did you take to recover and what did you learn from this experience

Interview Questions
    • What is something that you struggle with? / what is your worse trait? How do you plan to overcome this   Answer Question
    I was offered a contract position with no benefits, I negotiated the salary and it was fairly simple