Economist Group Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

3.3

Marketing Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was pretty lengthy but overall a big joke and waste of time.

When I applied it never said in the job description that this was a "indefinite full time position but with no benefits" as I first found out from the HR person during our phone interview. Then after going to the next round of meeting the manager in person, she later had me complete a homework assignment... Again, why is this so much work for a full time position with no benefits?!

After I came in again to meet the rest of the team and did a presentation, they all acted kind of strange towards the end and uninterested. I guess that was my fault, I couldn't have cared less about this role after finding out there was no benefits. It's like really what's the point?

Advice to the The Economist, no one is going to be passionate about working for this company if you're not going to treat them like an employee and rip them of their benefits.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. What drew me into this position. Questions about marketing/email campaigns. If after a week on the job and you go to celebrate with friends, how would you describe your first week? What made it so successful, how would you know you made the right choice in working here?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Economist Group.

Interview

The interview process was somewhat lengthy, but fair. I had 4 separate interviews over the course of 30 days. I also had to take a short quiz/analytical exercise as part of the process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pleasant, but I used a recruiter

Manager Interview

Interview

Responded to an internship post, contacted by HR admin and came into interview with two people from HR who asked me a pretty standard set of questions. The following week met with the hiring manager, who also asked me a standard set of questions.

Credentials + experience, evidenced on the resume shown through.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a strategic project you worked on that provided a solution to a challenge   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY).

Interview

The process was initiated by a recruiter who contacted me about the opportunity. Over the course of two months, I completed five interviews (3 in person and 2 via video conference) and an 1.5 hour presentation. I found all of the interviewers to be pleasant and fair but very intelligent. The one piece of advice I would give to someone interviewing at The Economist is :be prepared. You should know more than industry jargon and company history. Take the time to go deeper. I had several wonderful conversations that would not have been possible if I had not adequately prepared.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected request I received was to put together a 1.5hr presentation on my approach to the position (45 min presentation and 45 min Q&A). It lasted exactly 1.5 hours and the discussion was not solely limited to what was on the screen.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY).

Interview

4 interviews - 1 with HR, 2 with hiring manager, 1 with publisher.
    Friendly interview process

Negotiation

They offered me $5K less than my asking salary, but within 6 months up'd my salary by $7K. So it all kinda worked out.

Advertising Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

Headhunter contacted me at my prior job. First step was to meet with her, then on to the folks at The Economist--whom I met 4 times.

Interview Questions

• Nothing truly difficult--the sales questions they answered were not difficult at all, rather the constant vetting of my contacts and past business relations was intense.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much of a negotiation phase--stupid idea in retrospect.

Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied through campus and got a call from a recruiter about 5 days later asking me to describe myself as if on a twitter profile. Then I got a call for an interview with the recruiter that was a general interview about my background, experience etc. Finally, there was an assignment- I was asked pick an article from The Economist that I would choose in order to convince someone who has never read the magazine before to read it. I made a ppt. on it and had a final round of interview which again consisted of my past experiences and why I chose the company, this position etc.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose this company and why strategy?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a situation when you carried a project on your own towards completion.   Answer Question

Sales Executive, Web Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Very detailed interview, it was for an inside sales position. Went through the resume from top down, detailed highlights in career, what the product was, how we would be beneficial to client. It was an interesting experience.

Practice and sample pitches, role playing, detailed demonstration.

Very careful what you say and how you say it.

One misconstrued statement will result in a decline.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Economist Group (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

simple q&a. Told me about the position.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Economist Group (London, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

Can anyone share the standard benefits the Economist offers? Couldn't find out anything about healthcare, pension contribution and maternity leave, can you help please?

Interview Questions

• Interview was fine and was asked to go to the next round   Answer Question