Economist Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at Economist Group

Interview Details – Responded to an internship post, contacted by HR admin and came into interview with two people from HR who asked me a pretty standard set of questions. The following week met with the hiring manager, who also asked me a standard set of questions.

Credentials + experience, evidenced on the resume shown through.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a strategic project you worked on that provided a solution to a challenge   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Director Interview

Director
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Economist Group.

Interview Details – The process was initiated by a recruiter who contacted me about the opportunity. Over the course of two months, I completed five interviews (3 in person and 2 via video conference) and an 1.5 hour presentation. I found all of the interviewers to be pleasant and fair but very intelligent. The one piece of advice I would give to someone interviewing at The Economist is :be prepared. You should know more than industry jargon and company history. Take the time to go deeper. I had several wonderful conversations that would not have been possible if I had not adequately prepared.

Interview Question – The most unexpected request I received was to put together a 1.5hr presentation on my approach to the position (45 min presentation and 45 min Q&A). It lasted exactly 1.5 hours and the discussion was not solely limited to what was on the screen.   Answer Question

Advertising Sales Executive Interview

Advertising Sales Executive
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Economist Group in June 2011.

Interview Details – Headhunter contacted me at my prior job. First step was to meet with her, then on to the folks at The Economist--whom I met 4 times.

Interview Question – Nothing truly difficult--the sales questions they answered were not difficult at all, rather the constant vetting of my contacts and past business relations was intense.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much of a negotiation phase--stupid idea in retrospect.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Economist Group.

Interview Details – 4 interviews - 1 with HR, 2 with hiring manager, 1 with publisher.
Friendly interview process

Negotiation Details – They offered me $5K less than my asking salary, but within 6 months up'd my salary by $7K. So it all kinda worked out.

Strategy Interview

Strategy
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Economist Group in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through campus and got a call from a recruiter about 5 days later asking me to describe myself as if on a twitter profile. Then I got a call for an interview with the recruiter that was a general interview about my background, experience etc. Finally, there was an assignment- I was asked pick an article from The Economist that I would choose in order to convince someone who has never read the magazine before to read it. I made a ppt. on it and had a final round of interview which again consisted of my past experiences and why I chose the company, this position etc.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose this company and why strategy?   Answer Question
  • Give an example of a situation when you carried a project on your own towards completion.   Answer Question

Sales Executive, Web Interview

Sales Executive, Web
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Economist Group in May 2011.

Interview Details – Very detailed interview, it was for an inside sales position. Went through the resume from top down, detailed highlights in career, what the product was, how we would be beneficial to client. It was an interesting experience.

Practice and sample pitches, role playing, detailed demonstration.

Very careful what you say and how you say it.

One misconstrued statement will result in a decline.

Interview Question – Tell us about your resume   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Economist Group in June 2010.

Interview Details – simple q&a. Told me about the position.

Interview Question – Walk me through you resume   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Interview

Digital Marketing
Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Economist Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interview with HR, direct reporting manager and head of the department;
All went very well in a traditional interviewing style;
They looked nice at that time and later proved nice people in real working environment;
You just need to be confident about yourself and convinced of what you are saying and probably give some new ideas to their questions

Interview Question – Nothing really really difficult or unexpected, however when asked about the details, the nitty-gritty of my school projects I felt a bit unprepared   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You probably won't negotiate if this is your first job

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Economist Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – Can anyone share the standard benefits the Economist offers? Couldn't find out anything about healthcare, pension contribution and maternity leave, can you help please?

Interview Question – Interview was fine and was asked to go to the next round   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Economist Group.

Interview Details – First round phone interview. Second round in person. Both times I was interviewed by people from the team , not HR, and so the interview was quite role- specific. Asked a lot of questions about my past work experience, as well as any potential ideas I had for the product/role I was interviewing for.

Worked for Economist Group? Contribute to the Community!