Economists Inc Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated May 7, 2015

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Economists Inc

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Economists Inc (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Started off with a phone interview. It was a little bit intimidating as the interviewer was speaking really fast as if she was reading off of a script. However, nothing out of the ordinary.
Next was the in-person interview. I met with the two Vice President who were both very friendly and I felt super comfortable. The panel with 4 other RA was extremely uncomfortable and intimidating. Being interviewed by the RA's almost felt like a personality test, whether they are willing to work with you or not. While the the bulk of the interview was pretty straight-forward, meeting with the RA's felt a little unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Describing an experience manipulating large data-sets?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Economists Inc

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Economists Inc in January 2014.

Interview

Initially applied through my university's jobs board. A few weeks later I had a phone interview which consisted mostly of questions about my background. These focused on my experience working with datasets and doing basic quantitative work. About a week after that I received a call asking me to come to their offices for a final interview (which took place about a month later). The in-person interview day was very pleasant. I never felt under pressure and wasn't caught off-guard by anything. There was an initial catching-up interview with a current RA, followed by interviews with the Vice President, a senior economist, and a group of current RAs. Questions from each interview again focused on background/fit with the organization and experience working with/manipulating quantitative data (especially data provided by a client).

Interview Questions

• Questions were straightforward - just know your resume and projects you've worked on, as well as why you want to work for EI.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Economists Inc (Washington, DC).

Interview

Recruiting coordinator contacted me via email to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in to the DC office for a half-day of interviews - one with the recruiting coordinator, a senior economist, a vice president, and a panel of research associates. Most of the interview questions focused on quantitative background and experience.

Application

Interview

Interview was a 3 hr process, with a short interview with the recruiting coordinator, a PhD Economist, a panel of 4 RAs, and the VP. Questions included: give me a time when you worked with quantitative analysis and how you had to change and manipulate the data set, tell me about a time you worked in a time and had a conflict. Culture is very collegial and conducive for RAs to learn a lot during the 2 years.

Interview Questions

• Our work is cyclical, what would you do during the downtime?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Economists Inc (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

Multiple stage interview process of a head RA with general questions. Panel of RA's had more personality and work habit questions. The PH.D. economists had the most technical on data manipulation with large data sets.

While all interviewers were friendly, the interviews seemed to be done more calmly as they continued. So the head RA was the most controlled, while the PH.D. economists were more relaxed. The group of RA's was in between.

Research Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Economists Inc in October 2009.

Interview

You meet with a recruiter who mostly gives you an overviews of what EI and the RA position is about, then you meet with two senior economists and a panel of 4 RAs. I'd say the panel was the most intimidating, but mostly I think they were just looking for whether or not they would want to sit/work with you all day. Overall I would say it was a good experience.