Edelman Financial Services Interview Questions

Updated Aug 9, 2015

2.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Edelman Financial Services

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edelman Financial Services.

Interview

Phone interview then in person in interview at future job location and then group interview at VA headquarters. Had phone interview with HR girl who was no longer with the company the next month. In person interview with potential future boss I thought went well. Group interview with hq staff went well I thought. Asked to read multiple books beforehand. Each book is about 600 pages; there are a dozen books and each one is about as interesting as the series 7 study materials. Ok. Was told that edelman generally charges 1.25 to 2% for management and that they generally use index funds and etf's. Higher up there says they generally don't have any alpha meaning they really aren't even seeking to beat the market. I guess they are just managing risk? One book says edelman doesn't like index funds or etf's; another says don't follow investment gurus. Seems confusing. Books read like financial planning 101 mixed with basic marketing of edelman's services. Kind of reminds me of an east coast ken fisher. Either way in both cases most of the asset management is going towards killing trees in the form of over the top marketing campaigns.

CSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Edelman Financial Services (Columbus, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

90 minutes. Interview via video conference with 3 people followed by an interview with a financial planner. Video conference feed went in and out. Technology was a bit behind. Interviewers did not appear friendly.

Interview Questions

• If the world ended tomorrow, what would be your one regret.   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Edelman Financial Services (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

This was by far one of the best interview experiences I've ever had! It was relatively smooth and speedy without feeling rushed, which is not an easy thing to pull off when trying to fill multiple positions at the same time, so kudos to the recruitment team for that. I received an email from the recruiter within days of submitting my online application. Over the course of a few weeks, I had one phone interview with the recruiter and two rounds of in-person interviews with my future manager and several coworkers. Salary negotiations took a day or two and the background/credit checks took about a week. All in all, the process from application to clearance took about 6 weeks. The recruiter was accessible and very thoughtful, keeping me informed at every step of the process. She was even willing to reschedule some of my interviews due to poor weather conditions, which goes to show they really care about people, not just filling positions. The interviewers were pleasant and professional. They weren't there to intimidate you or trip you up. They just wanted to get to know you on a professional level, so be prepared for a good mix of skills-based and personality-based questions. My advice for interviewees: Be professional, be prepared and be yourself. And if you aren't familiar with the financial services industry, you should know that if you get hired, you'll need to provide information about any of your outside business activities and outside brokerage accounts. This is necessary because the industry is highly regulated, so the firm must do its due diligence to mitigate any potential risks/damage to its clients, its employees or itself by identifying potential conflicts of interest early on. But don't worry - they are more than willing to answer any questions/concerns you might have, so don't be afraid to ask.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Edelman Financial Services (San Diego, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted by a recruiter for typical screening questions, 20-30 minutes. Contacted by a supervisor within 3-4 days to set up an in-person. Was told by this person I would be receiving info regarding company benefits prior to the interview. Did not receive this or any materials other than the address to the office. The interview was via teleconference with 3 individuals including the supervisor. They basically asked general questions about my work experience. I researched the firm and was prepared but was not asked a single question about the firm, the job, what they were looking for, why I would be a good fit, etc. Due to the very randomness and lack of any questions related to the job posting I believe it was a phantom interview just to document that an 'interview' took place. At one point I even noticed one of the questioners looking away and laughing with someone I could not see since it was on video. A tad unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last job? Describe a significant job related achievement. Describe a life regret.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Edelman Financial Services (Fairfax, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter to set up a phone screen the day after I applied. I was told who it was, how much time to carve out and what time they would call. Phone screen ran a little long but the convo was great. A couple days later I was moved forward to an in person interviews. Before that I think they checked my credit which I thought was weird but understood. My recruiter told me what to expect, how much time it would take and what to do to prepare. It was an all day interview. First interview was with the recruiter, second interview with my future boss and colleague, then my future bosses Boss and another colleague. They asked similar questions but I could tell it was all about how the position interacted with each role. Afterwards, I was asked to do a background screen. I was told if that cleared they would let me know next steps. I was brought in to meet my boss's, boss's boss (phew!) for a final interview. Before meeting him, my now boss prepped me and debriefed me right after. Found out that my background cleared and I was offered the position! I think they checked references at some point too. Before I started I had a stack of paperwork to complete including being fingerprinted. Made onboarding easier onsite. Total time from phone screen to offer was 1 month and 2 weeks. I was able to negotiate salary and was given a few days to consider the offer (pretty standard). Felt like a very professional recruitment and on-boarding!

Interview Questions

• Have you heard of Ric Edelman? If so what do you know about him?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They are willing to negotiate if you are worth it. You have to prove that. They are more than fair. Met me halfway between what they originally offered and what I asked for. I had a counter offer (actually 2) on the table so that probably had an affect,

Client Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Edelman Financial Services.

Interview

My interview experience was negative in my opinion. I would rather not go into specifics in public but it should have raised a lot of red flags. The first two weeks of the job are spent in Fairfax, VA for training.

Interview Questions

• I thought the questions were pretty straight forward. Describe a positive/negative customer service experience, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Edelman Financial Services (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Easy laid back interviiew, very easy, more getting to know you and simple conversation. This is a better approach because nowadays interviews seem fake , and answers are fixated. The interviewer seems to want to know about you as an individual - what your hobbies are , recreational acitivity etc Very nice office setting, laid back office. People were extremely kind and helpful. This looks like a great firm to work for. I did not accept their offer as I received a better opportunity. They do offer a wonderful benefits package.

Interview Questions

• what was a difficult situation you were in and how did you overcome it   Answer Question