Edelman Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.9

Junior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Edelman (New York, NY).

Interview

Prior to the interview, I was contacted over the phone by the recruiter and was given an overview of what the job entails. A couple weeks later (due to my availability), I was able to come in and meet with a few people from the team I would be working on. Since I interviewed for a design position, we discussed my portfolio, which led to other things like how I work in a team setting, what my strengths and weaknesses are, and what I like to do outside of design/work. From there, I really connected with the people interviewing me based on our personal interests. A day after the interview, I was called with an offer!

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite digital marketing strategy that you have seen?   Answer Question

PR Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Edelman.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen with a recruiter. It was a fine, standard conversation during which she mainly asked me about my experience and what I'd like to do. I never heard back and followed up several times, but ultimately started interviewing elsewhere. I got a new job before I heard anything back from Edelman.

Account Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Edelman.

Interview

Very basic. Do your homework, how your industry and be prepared to talk to your strengths and you'll be fine. Not impressed with recruiters or their lack of follow up/communication and organization. Overall, I had a neutral interview experience - positive experience with the team I interviewed with, negative experience with HR/recruiting.

Interview Questions

• Mostly asked questions about account management and to test my knowledge of the industry   1 Answer

Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Edelman (New York, NY).

Interview

It wasn't an interview. It was just these guys talking at me. They seemed friendly, but one of them was a mess. And they basically just tried to sell me on it. I've realized that when that happens, run as far away as possible, because then you will think it's positive but walk right into a convoluted crapstorm: A place where they have a team member's birthday party while they are secretly firing their colleagues with security escorting them out. And where the people in charge don't really have the right experience so they either go with the flow and tell you things are good, only to reprimand you later.

Interview Questions

• It was really just them talking about themselves and what their division was doing.   Answer Question

Assistant Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Edelman (New York, NY).

Interview

I was referred by an employee. She told me she forwarded my resume, and that day, I got an email from HR (she was SO great by the way) for a phone screening. The next day we spoke on the phone for 30 minutes. I sent her a thank you email shortly after the phone screening and got a callback to come in for an in-person interview. I met with the 3 members of the team I was interviewing for (higher levels), and 1 member of a different team. From entrance to exit, the process took about 2 - 2.5 hours. I got the final round callback a week later, which was the writing test. It was 2 short prompts. I enjoyed the challenges, and it was a pretty creative assignment. I took it 2 days after they sent me the callback, and 3 days after, I got a call from HR with an offer. Naturally, I accepted! I was nervous throughout the entire process as Edelman is a firm I've always wanted to work for, but the actual process was not bad at all. They were SO friendly and very approachable. They make it a conversation, which helps the candidates to loosen up and be themselves.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you knew you couldn't finish a task by a given deadline?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Edelman in May 2015.

Interview

I was planning on moving to the area where the office is located and sent out several letters and resumes, one of which made to someone fairly high up at in HR at that Edelman's office. She sent me a quite nice response inviting me to keep in touch because my experience was a match to their portfolio. She even copied one of their recruiters. I then saw a position on the Edelman website that looked like a match and applied. Soon after, the same recruiter contacted me to arrange an interview. However, the position she listed was for a different city in another state. I mentioned the situation, and the recruiter apologized for the confusion, saying we could discuss both roles, if I'd like. I mentioned I was open to that, with my preference being the city and state I'd originally applied for. We had a good phone interview (I'm out of state), and she said she'd pass the information along to the hiring manager. I did have experience specific to the primary client the position would serve, so the comments from the HR person I'd originally contacted made sense now. A week and a half passed with no news, so I called the recruiter and left a message asking if any decisions had been made. A further week and a half passed passed with no news, so I again left a message asking if any decisions had been made. After two weeks I again called, got voice mail, but instead of leaving a message called my first HR contact and immediately reached her. She said the recruiter had been "out of town" (for nearly a month?), an offer had been made for the primary primary position I was interested in and the secondary position in the other state had been filled. So, let's recap: Edelman wants me to stay in touch because of my skills, then contacts me to set up an interview for a job I didn't apply for. We get that sorted out. Then, Edelman doesn't respond to my reasonable requests for an update on the process. (Note: I am staying in touch, which is what Edelman said it wanted me to do.) Edelman has an outstanding reputation for truly quality work. I've scored its entries in PR competitions, and I've been impressed with what I've seen. However, I hope this interaction isn't indicative of what they're like to work with--at least not with this office. I'm at a level in my career where I've selected and hired agencies when I worked client-side, and this created a less-than-ideal impression.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Edelman (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Shortly after submitting an online application, I was contacted by an HR rep based in Seattle. The interview process began with an initial phone screening. While slow to respond, the HR contact was pleasant and helpful. After this call (wherein I was told I'd be contacted next-day to schedule an in person) there was a gap of over a week wherein the interviewer was unresponsive. Eventually the interview was scheduled and conducted. I met with two people and discussed my background and the role. Afterward, another week of unresponsiveness from the company. All in all, a somewhat frustrating experience.

Interview Questions

• They inquired about social media fluency, willingness to perform "less glamorous" parts of the job, as well as desire to learn more about the financial services sector.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Edelman.

Interview

Phone interview with HR (30 min) - basic questions about background. Went well. In-person interview at DC location with 2 mid-upper management employees. They didn't seem to appreciate higher education (Masters degrees) and diverse work experiences. They seem to want someone with formal PR/communications experience, regardless of subject matter expertise. For example, I have a background in research and two masters degrees in public health and business, but they verbalized that I would be making a "huge" career change and the transition would be difficult to enter their Healthcare department.

Interview Questions

• What specific communications experience do you have? Why Edelman?   Answer Question

Assistant Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Edelman (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed with an HR representative and we had a 30 minute interview. At the end she told me that there were no positions available and that I reach out a significant period later. So I did and followed up with her. She emailed me back with positions available and applied. She emailed me to schedule something and never responded. I emailed her at least five times in the time span of 3 months. As a HR representative at a highly respected firm, I am utterly shocked at how unprofessional the HR representative is. It's one to say that there aren't any emails, but another to just completely not respond. Very unprofessional HR at such a great company which is unfortunate.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Edelman.

Interview

I was invited to a "mixer" for the enrichment program. There was a panel with current employees and then an hour to mingle with the employees and ask them questions about the program. It was kind of awkward because they did not ask us any questions, but left it open for us to brag about ourselves or ask them questions about Edelman.