Edelman

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Edelman.

Interview Details – Employee set up an informational interview for me with HR. Just so happens they had a position the recruiter thought I was well-suited for--so she set me up with a brief interview on the spot. Afterwards I was brought in for a formal interview with team, where I also took a writing test.

Interview Question – DC is a city filled with people of conviction. Public relations and public affairs for a global company can mean doing business for groups whose views may differ starkly from your own...it's important to think about whether you willing to tow the line regardless, before you sit down. Also, depending on the account, you may need to brush up on your issues...once you're in the door, you are expected to be an expert...whether that's healthcare, policy, energy, etc. or all of the above.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not in a position to negotiate. I took a pay cut to get the job. But Edelman rewards high performers, and if that's you, you can catch up pretty quickly.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Edelman in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied to Edelman for an open Account Executive position in June through the website and never heard anything.

In October, I was invited to attend a recruiting event and at the time, was far along in the interview process somewhere else and almost didn't attend. It was my first smoozing event, so I was a little uncomfortable, but I attended. I was impressed with the employees I met there, and the recruiters were really open and friendly, and helped determine what level I would be appropriate for, what I'm interested in and introduced me to people. After the event, I followed up with everyone I met with a nice note, including the recruiter.

The recruiter asked me back for an informational interview, where I met with more people from the company, learned a little bit more about what they do, and had an opportunity to pitch myself a little bit. I was again impressed with the people at the company that I met. This took place at the end of October. The recruiter was very forthcoming with information, noting that there wasn't a position open at my level yet, but there are expecting it to open soon.

In November, I was called in to actually interview for the Senior Account Executive position. The fabulous recruiter was detailed with who I would be meeting with, so I was sure to check out my interviewers Linkedin profiles and do a quick search to have an idea of who I would be meeting with. The interviews went well and right before Thanksgiving, I was asked to come back again to take a spelling and grammar test, and submit a timed writing sample.

Then the holidays were upon us. It took until January for them to actually get back to me with a final YOU GOT THE JOB! and an offer letter, but I was so happy when it finally came. So often when applying for jobs, people are unresponsive and blow you off, but this wasn't the case with my Edelman experience. The recruiter kept me in the loop throughout December and was very kind to ease my distress--it was the holidays and so many decision makers were understandably out of the office with their families.

Over all, I had a very positive experience with the interview and hiring process at Edelman and it just goes to show that good things are worth the wait!

Interview Question – What do you feel your worst quality is? An area that you can work on?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was very easy. During my informational interview and my actual interview the recruiter and I discussed salaries and my offer set me in a good position for promotions and raises.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Edelman in November 2011.

Interview Details – Really smooth interview process. The HR department was responsive and always answered emails and phone calls promptly. Everything went well until the offer came through and they were not willing to negotiate on salary or benefits. Oddly, was given the hard sell and guilt trip when I declined the offer.

Interview Question – What role do you play on a large team?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Compensation package, asked for 2-3K more and was rejected.

Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Edelman in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was referred by an SAE and encouraged to talk with their new SVP of digital. The SVP was a great guy, got along fantastically in our several conversations but it was tough to get specifics of the position from the HR person. I didn't get the position title, a job descripton or a salary range until the last meeting I had. Even though it was a digital strategy position, I had to take the writing test. Not a bad experience per se but the HR and SVP didn't communicate very well and it tuned out the position they wanted me for fell into a category about 2 levels below where I was in my career. I made my salary requirements and position details very clear to the SVP but the HR person was left out of that conversation. Kind of sucks because had I known those details I would not have spent money flying myself down twice.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Edelman in July 2007.

Interview Details – A woman I worked with at my previous job passed along my resume and mentioned I would be interested in relocating to New York. The head of the division called me to ask if I could "swing by and meet some people." I'm not sure if anything formal was ever arranged. I met with four different people, each for 30 minutes. They asked some general questions about my resume and one of them explicitly told me I should probably go work in D.C. instead of New York.
After the interviews, I took a quick AP style test and timed writing test. It was a single open-ended question and was easy enough, but no one told me about it until it was starting.
Honestly, if I hadn't had connections within the company to give me a better sense of how things worked, I doubt I would have wanted the job. That said, I LOVE working at Edelman.

Interview Question – Why do you want to move?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a lot out of negotiation, mostly by playing softball with them. They increased my title once I demonstrated that I had additional experience

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Edelman in January 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR, Panel interview with Account Sup and VP on the phone, in-person with AS and VP in person, and writing test.

Interview Question – How do you interact with the media?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Edelman in July 2007.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by in-house HR about the position. I spoke to the HR person about the position. I was invited in to a 1:1 interview with someone in the practice. After that meeting, I was asked to take a writing test to see if my skills were up to par for the job. I was called about a week later letting me know they had found another candidate for the job.

Interview Question – The interviewer and HR did not ask any difficult questions.   View Answer

Jakarta (Indonesia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edelman in December 2010.

Interview Details – I sent my CV to one of the managers. Within 3 weeks the HR team contacted me and arranged for a test and interview. It was conducted on the same day in December 2010, and the ones interviewed me was my future supervisor and manager. Within days I was called for another interview by HR team, and also negotiated my salary. After we made a deal, I had 1 month notice from my previous office. I entered the company in February 2011.

Overall impression, the office has professional look, albeit several employees' desk are pretty "messy" or loaded with documents. The employees look neat with stylish outfit. But lately some employees I know opt for more casual dress code with jeans and T shirt (digital and creative team members).

The work culture was initially impressive, with proper inductions to initiate new employees, but after a while it seems that as a whole, the team I worked with actually lack some strong discipline and punctuality in terms of submitting work.

Interview Question – As I applied for digital team, they required me to tell about local digital trend.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Actually it seems the number I demanded was not high enough.

Senior Account Executive

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Edelman.

Interview Details – The people involved in the process was highly charismatic.

However with that being said more than 12 hrs plus of interviews both via phone and back to back in person interviews; Edelman fails to be as transparent as they outline on their company website.

Time is valuable. They have wasted both Edelman and my own time, to only decide that the position was not the right fit nor was able to give a an offer that was fair in regards to the job 12 + interviews later.

Edelman may be a very strong company when ranked on the top agencies to work for and on Adage's top PR firms of the nation. Statistics will remain just numbers and the truth of this company is that they are in chaos and disarray.

In terms of the position that was offered neither SVP's , juniors , or senior account executives had qualified answers in regards to my questions asked about their strategy in regards to current industry trends and current accounts that they represent.

In addition no one on the "team" were able to decipher what to do with their managed accounts massive amount of data that they seemed to be sinking in.

Edelman projected a company that is fast-thinking, but in reality Edelman they are hanging on to their perceived perception of the past of being a top PR firm.

Maybe if you want to be considered, ask less questions so you fall under the corporate drones that assimilate to the norms of just being average and working more hours and accounts that they can handle.

Interview Question – "We love that one of your goals is to be a leading leader in the industry, but are you able to do the requested task at Edelman while trying to achieve this goal?"   Answer Question

Interviewed at Edelman

Interview Details – Initial communication was from HR with a brief phone interview, after which I had a series of interviews with the hiring group, including two one-one-one interviews with group leaders followed by a session with a small group of junior staff. About a week following the last interview I received a verbal offer from HR.

Interview Question – I was hired without direct public relations experience. The most difficult question was why I believed I was qualified to work at Edelman.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Edelman

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!

Edelman Videos

Edelman – Why Work for Us?

On October 1, 1952, Daniel J. Edelman and Associates was founded in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago with three employees servicing one client. More than 60 years later, with 67 offices and over 4,800 employees servicing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edelman Senior Account Executive interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Edelman employees and interview candidates.