Edelman Vice President Interview Questions

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edelman.

A recruiter found me, HR was very receptive after an initial interview. I had an inperson interview scheduled within a week. There were many rounds of interviews with all levels of employees. Also a writing test and personality test. They were very willing to work around my schedule and for each round provided multiple times to meet.

Interview Questions
  • What are some of the reasons that you have been rejected for a new business deal?   View Answer
There is no negotiation. You tell the recruiter what you want in the first interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Edelman

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Edelman in March 2011.

Long long long - had to go back at least 4 times to meet several levels of people - they didn't really want to work around my work schedule and they weren't thrilled that I wanted to come in before 9 a.m. or after 5 p.m.

Interview Questions
    • None - they were so basic it was a joke - they had me interviewed by account executives, senior account executives and questions were - what are your strengths, what are your weaknesses; how would you supervise and treat us -   View Answer
    A joke - they told me this is the offer - take it or leave it - thought it was rude to say the least

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Edelman in May 2013.

I applied through the website and heard back from HR a few days later. They asked me to drive to their Chicago offices (I live about four hours away) to interview with some people. The HR assistant was SUPER friendly and welcoming, and very helpful with any questions I had, although the receptionist seemed a little cold. I first met with two senior level managers in a group interview. They told me upfront that they didn't think I was quite ready for the role I was interviewing for, but that they had a position one level down that they felt I would be ideal for. That was a little awkward, but I appreciated their candor. Then I met with three other people (about a half hour each).

About a week later HR did a phone interview with me, then asked me to come to Chicago AGAIN for another day of interviews -- four more people for half an hour each. Everyone was lovely, smart and welcoming, but I was surprised that the company never offered to reimburse me for travel -- I'd spent a total of 16 hours driving for these interviews (several tanks of gas), plus had to pay for parking each visit, which is $40 in the building.

Anyway, I had two more phone interviews the next week, and then the head HR person called me and said, "We're going to make you an offer next week" and then he proposed a tentative start date of three weeks from that day. I was actually sort of annoyed because this was a Friday, and now I was in this weird limbo of knowing I was going to get an offer -- but not knowing how much they were going to offer me -- AND panicking because this meant I would have to relocate to Chicago within three weeks. I felt it was a little disrespectful to sort of tease me like that.

He then said I needed to complete a personality test and skills test online. The skills test surprised me - there was a TON of math (algebra and higher), which seemed odd considering this is a PR job.

Here's where the experience went sort of badly -- the following week, the one the HR guy promised he would call to make me the formal offer -- came and went without any contact from them. Mind you, my start date is now two weeks away and I still haven't been presented with the formal offer -- and I still have to relocate. So I emailed him and asked if he knew when he would have the offer. He promised he'd have it by the middle of next week. That next week came and went and still nothing. Now we're ONE week away from my tentative start date. I emailed him AGAIN and he finally said, "So sorry, I just got approval on your offer, I'll call you about it shortly." I expected to get the call within hours. Instead, he called THREE days later.

The offer itself was pretty low considering the senior level position and my experience, and it didn't include any relocation, even though they had stalled for three weeks and wanted me out there ASAP. I countered for more money and relocation, and he came back a few days later with $2k in relocation (I would have to front the money, they would reimburse me) but wouldn't budge on salary.

When I eventually turned down the offer, he was really quite rude with me and said, "Well, it would have been nice to know this earlier so we could have looked at other candidates." Um, what?? How was I supposed to know I was going to turn down the offer until you actually MADE me an offer?

The people and culture seemed awesome, but the hiring experience was surprisingly unprofessional considering how massive the company is, and the salary and relo money were really low.

Interview Questions

Salary was too low, relocation was too low, hiring process sort of soured me on the company, felt the culture was a bit too corporate for what I was looking for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Edelman.

I was connected with a recruiter who conducted a phone interview immediately, then had several in-person interviews with key leaders and the team I would ultimately manage. Overall, the process was pretty straightforward and fair. However, the interview process took FOREVER and sometimes I didn't get much information during the lag time, so I pursued other options. Negotiate upfront well before you get your offer.

Interview Questions
    • We're a curious culture. Give me examples of how you've shown curiousity in the past month at work.   Answer Question
    Negotiate up front - be smart about the salary range and other requirements you give when you speak to recruiters after being given an offer! There was little room for negotation once the offer had been made.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source - interviewed at Edelman.

Was contacted through Linkedin. Had interview within two weeks and quick follow-up

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Edelman in January 2013.

Excellent and economic interview experience. Two phone interviews and two on site interviews to meet with seven people. Interviewers were punctual, knowledgeable, gracious, and direct. Each meeting led to increased interest in the firm.

Interview Questions
    Expeditious and fair, painless.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Edelman in February 2011.

The interview process started with a phone conversation or phone screen with a recruiter, who then scheduled in person interviews with senior leaders and hiring managers. I had a total of six in person interviews over the course of two weeks and was presented two opportunities. I also had a follow up conversation with one of the hiring managers to get some specific information about the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to do? Since I was considering and being considered for two different opportunities, which were both very appealing, this was a hard question to answer because it meant choosing between the two positions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Edelman in February 2011.

Fairly straightforward interview - HR phone screening and then interview with SVP and VP on team. Also had to take a writing test where I wrote a public relations strategy for the launch of a new healthcare product and took a spelling a grammar test.

Interview Questions
    Negotiating was difficult with this company. I felt the salary was quite low and tried to negotiate higher, but was told over and over again that this was the average salary for my level in Atlanta. Have since learned Edelman is considered one of the lower paying agencies in general and in Atlanta.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 8 months - interviewed at Edelman in March 2009.

Long and drawn out.

Fast and easy.

Vice President Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Edelman.

One day after submitting my resume I received an email requesting a phone interview with a recruiting vice president. A week later I had a phone interview with the hiring VP, then two weeks later went to the office for a face to face interview with two addiitonal Vice Presidents. Later had a Skype interview with the hiring manager and had to take a 'personality' test. After all that, I never heard another word. They didn't even have the common courtesy to say we don't feel you're the right fit. Unbelieveable.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected thing about the process was having take the personality test.   Answer Question

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!