Edline Interview Questions

3.7

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Edline (Chicago, IL) in August 2011.

Interview

Initial screening done by a light technical phone interview. An 'Achiever Test' was then required to be completed online. Onsite interview process was done with several developers for technical interviews, then a discussion of past projects and work experience with a manager, followed by a short discussion with the CTO. After the interview a coding problem was assigned for completion at home.

Interview Questions

• Had to whiteboard the code and UML diagram for a Singleton pattern in java.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate for higher compensation due to the difference in benefits provided by my previous employer.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Edline (Chicago, IL) in August 2010.

Interview

Began with an online IQ/personality test. Only feedback was that I did well. Several weeks went by and my recruiter had to pressure Edline to next steps.

Edline requested sample code which I sent, then set up a face to face. The recruiter said I was the first to get to a face-to-face.

Interviewed with two staff members, a developer and a manager. Very pleasant experience which seemed to go well. Good interview questions. Explained they had a home grown framework and did not use the usual open source solutions like Spring and Hibernate.

Interviewed with the original web site developer and (I am guessing) an architect (although he never heard of several common technologies I mentioned and was taking notes). The "home grown" framework was restated to be a set of utilities rather than a framework. Oddly, the architect stated that after six months he was still learning it. I asked if they used any open source software and that seemed to cause some concern. They indicated they were looking at JSF.

They also asked about outside technical interests. I mentioned Groovy and Grails. The architect said that Groovy would fail because it was "too slow". The other guy said he liked Scala better, although he seemed to know that functional expressions are available in Groovy as well.

The arrangement appears to be everyone works on their own with little oversight. They claim to have never lost a developer (they use the term "engineer"). I could not verify this but I can say I would not have been comfortable there. It seemed to me to be a good place for heads down developers with no interest in recommending new technologies.

The only feedback I received was that Edline was going to take a pass.

Interview Questions

• What Java type is best used to represent money?   1 Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Edline (Chicago, IL) in February 2009.

Interview

After I applied, I was contacted by their HR person, and a phone interview was conducted. From there, I had to take an Intelligence test. I was invited to an office interview, and after a 1:1 interview, was told they would like the VP to meet me. HR contacted me again, and asked me to write a 3 page comparison of a website to a potential better site. Then I spoke with the director, who told me I should come in again for another interview. Then HR called me again, and asked me to complete an application, and told me they would check my background. Then I was made an offer. It was a very sporadic, unorganized hiring process, and left me frustrated often. I found out that their HR was outsourced, which probably explains the lack of organization.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non-existent