Edmunds.com

13 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Interview

Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Edmunds.com.

Interview Details – Fairly straightforward. HR phone screen. Phone interview with hiring manger. In-person interview with Directors of different departments. Interviews all occurred within the same week and was really impressed with the office and the projects they were working on. I asked them what the budgeted salary was for the position and told them that although it's less than the competitive market value, I was fine with that given the Edmunds.com brand.

After a week, I got word via email to do the background check and references and a few days later, was told all was good and that I should hear another update soon.

Another week went by and I got notified via email I was passed on to another recruiter.

Another week went by, and I'm asked to provide a W2s from all my last employers via phone. Wait, what? I gave you a list of references with one from each of my past employers; all of whom confirmed they'd been contacted. So I ask why, and I get "Sorry, we can't move forward until you give us the W2s or paystubs."

So I comply, but black out everything they don't need (SSN, wages, etc.) I hear back a week later (via phone) that they need full copies of the W2s, and I inform them that they need to explain exactly why they needed the W2's when they have already contacted all my references and completed the background check, especially when I haven't been given an official offer in writing. Recruiter apologizes and say she'll get back to the team with my concerns.

Then I get a call back a week later with a verbal offer that's $5k below the budgeted salary. And without skipping a beat, she asks me for copies of my W2s again. I told her that I've worked for 5 companies (a mix of Fortune 500 and startup), and none have ever asked for my W2s. Then I stated that if she could give me a legitimate reason, I'd send her the copies right away. She said "it's to confirm your past salaries."

I thanked her for her time and declined the offer after letting her know that the salary from my first job out of college and every job thereafter shouldn't affect my candidacy. Rather, they should focus on and verify the projects I worked on.

Some thoughts to HR here. Don't switch out recruiters in the middle of the process, make all communication via email for record-keeping, and don't ask for unnecessary paperwork. Also, keep your processes cohesive. One recruiter was very quick to answer any questions, updated me at least twice a week even if there was no news, and sent me email summaries of any phone interactions we had. The recruiter I was passed on to did none of this.

Also, W2s should never be used to confirm anything other than employment. This reflects badly on the company and completely nullifies anything positive. Why is it necessary to confirm past salaries when you have a pre-determined budget that's already under market value and has already been offered? It's incredibly off-putting and makes it seem like your priorities are not to build a great product with a great team but to instead, lowball your way towards success.

Interview Question – What was the worst problem you ever experienced on a project?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was under market value and HR demanded W2s from all my past employers, which isn't necessary in the hiring process.

Area Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Edmunds.com in October 2011.

Interview Details – During the interviewing process, this company seemed to be the best thing ever. I was amazed at how nice everybody was and some of the things that they told me about the company benefits. They told me that they encourage spending time at your kids school. They talked about having unlimited paid time off. they have this program that is called ROW where you work when you work and don't when you don't. It's all a lie... don't fall for it. if you take anytime off, you will get fired.

Interview Question – no real difficult or unexpected questions. they want you to believe that they are laid back and easy going.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. it is what it is. take it or leave it

Very Easy Interview

Manager Interview

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Edmunds.com.

Interview Details – Phone Interview with HR, then interview with Peers and Hiring Manager.

Interview Question – Pretty standard review of resume and previous responsibilities.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Area Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Edmunds.com.

Interview Details – I applied online after seeing the posting on linkedIn. Initially I was declined a phone screening, but a month later I saw the job re-listed and persuaded the recruiter to a phone interview through email. Phone screen was very slack and didn't provide a lot of details but lead to a in-person with hiring manager. In person lasted about an hour followed up with 3 additional phone interviews with hiring manager/ their manager and VP. Everyone wanted to know which dealers I knew and could sell in my first week. And honestly it seems they simply wanted to grab a rep from one of the competition.
At the time I am writing this no decision has been made yes or no and it has been 4 months since the process started. I decided to write the review now because personally my interest has been lost due to the time, lack of organization, and service. The area I was interviewing for was already with out a rep and so the accounts in the area are now approaching a year without a rep.
I do understand the need to carefully make a new hire decision, but as a seasoned sales consultant I always try to view a situation from the customers perspective. Personally if I had been paying for a service for a year with out service, well hopefully you get the idea.

Interview Question – At every level of the interview process all they wanted to know is how many dealers I had a personal relation with, and who I could walk up to and sell during my first week.   Answer Question

Systems Operations Intern Interview

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Edmunds.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Was referred to another intern position from a recruiter.

Interview Question – Everything was typical, nothing unexpected. Interview was pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Edmunds.com in April 2011.

Interview Details – I e-mailed the CIO my resume, and went in for an interview weeks later. In the interview, we went over my resume and I was asked what I wanted to get out of working at Edmunds. We then discussed which department might be best for me. It was a very relaxed, very easygoing interview.

Brooklyn, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Edmunds.com in June 2013.

Interview Details – Starts with a recruiter; it helps to be referred. They use LinkedIn alot.
Many questions about how your current position would fit with Edmunds.
The recruiter will talk a lot about Edmunds; your main questions will come from the local manager. They will ask you about your current contacts. The Job will really depend on weather they think you can start making sales immediately; they want your "Rolodex" !
You will do two phone interviews and then a face to face; you may have a phone interview with an "upper manager". That will still all be about who you know.

Interview Question – There were detailed questions about what dealers I knew and who I knew.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a higher salary; but it put a target on my back.
Make sure your start date is on the 1st of the month; your "ramp up" will be based on two "CALENDAR" months NOT 60 days. If you start on Feb 28th, that counts as a calender month. Very important, because you will be held accountable for any cancellations that happen. You will need all the time you can manage to get a handle on your territory.

Administrator Interview

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Edmunds.com in September 2009.

Interview Details – It was very easy

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Accepted with the offer

Business Intelligence Interview

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Edmunds.com in February 2009.

Interview Details – Screened by recruiter-they were not thrilled, but passed me on to the hiring manager. He asked few questions and then passed me back to the recruiter that said I would be bored in the position.

Interview Question – how the tool the were working with had its limitation but they didn't have the money to replace it, so what would I do.   Answer Question

Client Services Representative Interview

Client Services Representative

Interviewed at Edmunds.com

Interview Details – it was the easiest interview I have ever been on, Literally.

Interview Question – How I felt about a start up department within an establish company   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Edmunds.com? Contribute to the Community!

Edmunds.com Videos

Edmunds.com – Why Work for Us?

Edmunds.com is a car-shopping Web site committed to helping people find the car that meets their every need.​​Almost 18 million visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edmunds.com interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Edmunds.com employees and interview candidates.