Edmunds.com

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

2.7

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Edmunds.com in November 2014.

The interview process started with a phone interview about basic computer science knowledge. This interview lasted about 15-20 minutes. The next interview was also by phone, but with the supervisor of the department I would be working with. They asked questions about work experience and general programming attitudes/experience. After the interview I was given a small coding assignment that was to be turned in by the end of the following day. The final interview was at the Santa Monica HQ. I met with 3 people and we discussed more advanced topics in computer science and about the company's direction and my future role within the company.

Interview Questions

Salary vs Driving Distance didn't make sense for me.

Tier III Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Unless you have 3 months to wait for a decision, do not apply. This was without a doubt the most frustrating process I have ever been through. Also, the management team works with the mentality that auto dealers are the most difficult, hard to crack, rubik's cube there is in sales. Also, don't waste your time researching their product during the interview process, the management team is all over the map, and communication is extremely poor.

Interview Questions
    • They don't look at your resume from one interview to the next, so be prepared to review it each step of the way.   Answer Question

After seeing high turn over rate, and the nature of the interviewing process, it seemed like it would not be a good place to work.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Edmunds.com.

They reached out to me via LinkedIN. The recruiter was very nice (aren't they all!) but they seemed to really stress the high base. It almost seemed like that was supposed to make just jump ship. Then they set me up to talk with another manager and someone else. The titles were very confusing. There were lots of delays as if they were looking for someone else. They also did something that really confused me; they talked bad about the person that left! I knew that person! I turned down the position but they called me again; talked about the base and then almost got angre when I said it was a bad time for me to make a move.

Interview Questions
    • What dealers do you know that you could close tomorrow?   View Answer

The reviews on Glassdoor and talking to friends in the industry.

Java Developer Interview

hiring manager scheduled, called in and asked for project experience, what the company does, what the position for, basic java questions, very friendly, going on for 40 minutes approx..

Sales/Account Executive Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Edmunds.com.

Fairly good experience - recruiter was knowledgeable and asked good questions. Did phone interview with the hiring manager, then an on-line assessment test, and then an in-person interview with the hiring manager. Had final phone interview with the VP. Used a pretty cool on-line tool called Checkster to do the reference check. Background check was standard. Total time about 3 weeks.

Data Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Edmunds.com in July 2014.

Applied online with an employee referral. Received an email for a phone screening 2 days later. During the phone screening 3 days later the HR person informs me that he/she forgot to let me know that the position was actually already filled the day before. This is was bummer, but the HR person was gracious enough to give me helpful leads for applying to other companies.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult behavioral questions; just typical "Tell me more about X,Y,Z from you resume."   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Edmunds.com.

Applied online, was contacted my a recruiter who set me up for a screening interview. Received a call the following week telling me that another (temp) recruiter would be taking over the interview process for the position and that they would have to reschedule.
    Rescheduled but received a call that week saying they needed to reschedule AGAIN. Sure, why not.
    When the screening finally happened they told me they would send me an email for interview on-site. Went for on-site interview with the director, manager, trainer and two senior account managers.

Director was first. I like her a lot as she seemed intelligent, composed, nice, and knowledgable. All questions about my experience.
    Manager interview was like talking to an angry robot. All situational questions
    Trainer didn't have my resume on hand. Showed up late. Would ask situational questions and try to respond with you with, "ok, so you mean xyz?". Which would have been great but she was almost never close to what I was communicating. Was she even listening???
    Two senior account managers looked like they were thankful to finally have a break from their work. Seemed mostly like they didn't care much about the job. It was mostly open forum for me to bounce questions with them and seemed like they had no idea what their own jobs entailed.

Interview Questions
    • Almost all situational questions of how to handle sales teams and customers.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Edmunds.com.

Mostly web design and coding question.

Product Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Edmunds.com.

Fairly straightforward. HR phone screen. Phone interview with hiring manger. In-person interview with Directors of different departments. Interviews all occurred within the same week and was really impressed with the office and the projects they were working on. I asked them what the budgeted salary was for the position and told them that although it's less than the competitive market value, I was fine with that given the Edmunds.com brand.

After a week, I got word via email to do the background check and references and a few days later, was told all was good and that I should hear another update soon.

Another week went by and I got notified via email I was passed on to another recruiter.

Another week went by, and I'm asked to provide a W2s from all my last employers via phone. Wait, what? I gave you a list of references with one from each of my past employers; all of whom confirmed they'd been contacted. So I ask why, and I get "Sorry, we can't move forward until you give us the W2s or paystubs."

So I comply, but black out everything they don't need (SSN, wages, etc.) I hear back a week later (via phone) that they need full copies of the W2s, and I inform them that they need to explain exactly why they needed the W2's when they have already contacted all my references and completed the background check, especially when I haven't been given an official offer in writing. Recruiter apologizes and say she'll get back to the team with my concerns.

Then I get a call back a week later with a verbal offer that's $5k below the budgeted salary. And without skipping a beat, she asks me for copies of my W2s again. I told her that I've worked for 5 companies (a mix of Fortune 500 and startup), and none have ever asked for my W2s. Then I stated that if she could give me a legitimate reason, I'd send her the copies right away. She said "it's to confirm your past salaries."

I thanked her for her time and declined the offer after letting her know that the salary from my first job out of college and every job thereafter shouldn't affect my candidacy. Rather, they should focus on and verify the projects I worked on.

Some thoughts to HR here. Don't switch out recruiters in the middle of the process, make all communication via email for record-keeping, and don't ask for unnecessary paperwork. Also, keep your processes cohesive. One recruiter was very quick to answer any questions, updated me at least twice a week even if there was no news, and sent me email summaries of any phone interactions we had. The recruiter I was passed on to did none of this.

Also, W2s should never be used to confirm anything other than employment. This reflects badly on the company and completely nullifies anything positive. Why is it necessary to confirm past salaries when you have a pre-determined budget that's already under market value and has already been offered? It's incredibly off-putting and makes it seem like your priorities are not to build a great product with a great team but to instead, lowball your way towards success.

Interview Questions
    • What was the worst problem you ever experienced on a project?   Answer Question

Offer was under market value and HR demanded W2s from all my past employers, which isn't necessary in the hiring process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Edmunds.com in February 2014.

I had 2 phone interviews. 1 with my direct report, and 1 with his. I was then brought on site and did 4 ~1hr interviews with a lunch break with my direct report. The process went really well overall. My first interview was a 1 on 1 with my now bosses boss. He had me do a parser with a recursive node builder algorithm. He was very patient as I got nervous a little way through and needed some extra time. The second interview was another 1 on 1. The next was an interview with my now boss and team lead. We mostly talked about design and architectural questions with some basic algorithms and implementations. My last interview was with another team lead and his manager. This was the most challenging of all of the interviews. They asked some detailed questions about threading, some algorithm questions, etc.

I came out of the interview feeling very challenged, but looking forward to the opportunity. Everyone was really nice and I got a good overall feeling.