Edmunds.com

2.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Tier III Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Unless you have 3 months to wait for a decision, do not apply. This was without a doubt the most frustrating process I have ever been through. Also, the management team works with the mentality that auto dealers are the most difficult, hard to crack, rubik's cube there is in sales. Also, don't waste your time researching their product during the interview process, the management team is all over the map, and communication is extremely poor.

Interview Questions
    • They don't look at your resume from one interview to the next, so be prepared to review it each step of the way.   Answer Question

After seeing high turn over rate, and the nature of the interviewing process, it seemed like it would not be a good place to work.

Data Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Edmunds.com in July 2014.

Applied online with an employee referral. Received an email for a phone screening 2 days later. During the phone screening 3 days later the HR person informs me that he/she forgot to let me know that the position was actually already filled the day before. This is was bummer, but the HR person was gracious enough to give me helpful leads for applying to other companies.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult behavioral questions; just typical "Tell me more about X,Y,Z from you resume."   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Edmunds.com.

Applied online, was contacted my a recruiter who set me up for a screening interview. Received a call the following week telling me that another (temp) recruiter would be taking over the interview process for the position and that they would have to reschedule.
    Rescheduled but received a call that week saying they needed to reschedule AGAIN. Sure, why not.
    When the screening finally happened they told me they would send me an email for interview on-site. Went for on-site interview with the director, manager, trainer and two senior account managers.

Director was first. I like her a lot as she seemed intelligent, composed, nice, and knowledgable. All questions about my experience.
    Manager interview was like talking to an angry robot. All situational questions
    Trainer didn't have my resume on hand. Showed up late. Would ask situational questions and try to respond with you with, "ok, so you mean xyz?". Which would have been great but she was almost never close to what I was communicating. Was she even listening???
    Two senior account managers looked like they were thankful to finally have a break from their work. Seemed mostly like they didn't care much about the job. It was mostly open forum for me to bounce questions with them and seemed like they had no idea what their own jobs entailed.

Interview Questions
    • Almost all situational questions of how to handle sales teams and customers.   Answer Question

Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Edmunds.com.

Fairly straightforward. HR phone screen. Phone interview with hiring manger. In-person interview with Directors of different departments. Interviews all occurred within the same week and was really impressed with the office and the projects they were working on. I asked them what the budgeted salary was for the position and told them that although it's less than the competitive market value, I was fine with that given the Edmunds.com brand.

After a week, I got word via email to do the background check and references and a few days later, was told all was good and that I should hear another update soon.

Another week went by and I got notified via email I was passed on to another recruiter.

Another week went by, and I'm asked to provide a W2s from all my last employers via phone. Wait, what? I gave you a list of references with one from each of my past employers; all of whom confirmed they'd been contacted. So I ask why, and I get "Sorry, we can't move forward until you give us the W2s or paystubs."

So I comply, but black out everything they don't need (SSN, wages, etc.) I hear back a week later (via phone) that they need full copies of the W2s, and I inform them that they need to explain exactly why they needed the W2's when they have already contacted all my references and completed the background check, especially when I haven't been given an official offer in writing. Recruiter apologizes and say she'll get back to the team with my concerns.

Then I get a call back a week later with a verbal offer that's $5k below the budgeted salary. And without skipping a beat, she asks me for copies of my W2s again. I told her that I've worked for 5 companies (a mix of Fortune 500 and startup), and none have ever asked for my W2s. Then I stated that if she could give me a legitimate reason, I'd send her the copies right away. She said "it's to confirm your past salaries."

I thanked her for her time and declined the offer after letting her know that the salary from my first job out of college and every job thereafter shouldn't affect my candidacy. Rather, they should focus on and verify the projects I worked on.

Some thoughts to HR here. Don't switch out recruiters in the middle of the process, make all communication via email for record-keeping, and don't ask for unnecessary paperwork. Also, keep your processes cohesive. One recruiter was very quick to answer any questions, updated me at least twice a week even if there was no news, and sent me email summaries of any phone interactions we had. The recruiter I was passed on to did none of this.

Also, W2s should never be used to confirm anything other than employment. This reflects badly on the company and completely nullifies anything positive. Why is it necessary to confirm past salaries when you have a pre-determined budget that's already under market value and has already been offered? It's incredibly off-putting and makes it seem like your priorities are not to build a great product with a great team but to instead, lowball your way towards success.

Interview Questions
    • What was the worst problem you ever experienced on a project?   Answer Question

Offer was under market value and HR demanded W2s from all my past employers, which isn't necessary in the hiring process.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Edmunds.com.

Phone Interview with HR, then interview with Peers and Hiring Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard review of resume and previous responsibilities.   Answer Question

Systems Operations Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Edmunds.com in November 2013.

Was referred to another intern position from a recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was typical, nothing unexpected. Interview was pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Edmunds.com in April 2011.

I e-mailed the CIO my resume, and went in for an interview weeks later. In the interview, we went over my resume and I was asked what I wanted to get out of working at Edmunds. We then discussed which department might be best for me. It was a very relaxed, very easygoing interview.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Edmunds.com in September 2009.

It was very easy

Accepted with the offer

Business Intelligence Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Edmunds.com in February 2009.

Screened by recruiter-they were not thrilled, but passed me on to the hiring manager. He asked few questions and then passed me back to the recruiter that said I would be bored in the position.

Interview Questions
    • how the tool the were working with had its limitation but they didn't have the money to replace it, so what would I do.   Answer Question