Education Advisory Board

Updated Oct 30, 2014

3.1

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Education Advisory Board.

I had been trying to apply for jobs at ABC for about a year on their website. I applied 3 times, spending a total of 6 hours tailoring resumes and cover letters for entry-level research positions, paying $35k-$40k (I was only a year out of school with three internships). I never heard a response.

Then, someone close to me who used to work at ABC sent in my resume to HR internally and said, "Here, I think this guy would be good at your company."

Next thing I know, I get called up for an interview. HR chose to submit me for consideration for an Analyst position at EAB, paying $50-72k a year. (I read the job description and found myself very confused; I was unqualified for it nor did I understand it. Also, I was more experienced in healthcare than in education).

That leads to my first point. If they thought I might be worth $50-72k, then they certainly wouldn't have ignored me for lower level positions. It seems like applying on the website is useless; networking is key.

Next came a phone interview, it was easy, basic stuff. It was odd that they asked me, "Why do you think you're good for this position," especially when I didn't select the position.

Then came an Excel test. I'm great at Excel, so it was a breeze. I had one hour to make a few spreadsheets.

After that, they called me immediately, seeming to be very excited and eager to interview me [i'd give the specifics as to how I knew they were very interested in me, but it would reveal my identity]. They scheduled me for a 3 round interview over 4 hours. There was a case study question with the first one, and the second two were just talking with my team, talking about my experience and what we'd be working on.

My interviews went okay, good, and excellent, but it was grueling. At the end of it, the Director told me twice, "Well, we'll see you soon!"

Well, that was misleading. After the month-long process, I was told I didn't get the job. I asked to be considered for other ones, and got no reply. Dropped like a ton of bricks. It was a bit devastating. A recent grad getting considered for a mid-level job? It was a bad idea in the first place. My experience tells tales about their HR system and their corporate culture.

I don't think I'll apply there again.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Education Advisory Board in October 2014.

A current employee submitted my resume and I got contacted for a 1st round phone interview after just two days. We set it up for the next week. The recruiter called on time, the interview lasted for around 25 minutes and she was very nice and responsive to what I said. At the end she told me she would be talking to the hiring team right after she got off the phone with me to choose candidates for an on-site interview, but would let me know either way. I got an email a week later that they didn't have a position for me.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions and then some tailored to research: Why did you choose your college/major; what is your writing style and how has it changed; tell me about the last research you did (with specifics), why are you interested in our company, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Education Advisory Board in February 2014.

First round phone interview followed by in-office interview with two case studies and one written test. The phone interview was very general: asking questions about what I value in a work environment, what I value in research, how I believe I have evolved as a writer, what would I have changed about my undergraduate institution, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Advisory Board in February 2014.

The recruiters I worked with were very helpful, thorough, and seemed genuinely eager to answer my questions. I applied in November, and with the Holidays, the process seemed to drag on: I had a phone screen with a recruiter, a phone interview with a Senior Research Manager, and was ultimately invited to interview at the Washington DC offices. Everyone was friendly, and the interviews themselves weren't difficult, but the case studies required lots of thinking on your feet - I would definitely encourage applicants to do your homework on types of cases EAB often deals with. They require a writing test for this position, which I completed remotely; but be prepared to do the test after the interviews, pretty sure my case was an exception.

Overall the process was decent, but it took a full month for EAB to get back to me after my final interviews, only to tell me I wasn't offered the job...HR needs to pick up the pace if they want to maintain their professional image.

Interview Questions
    • Relating to Responsibility Centered Management (RCM) Budget proposal by a University vs. a Standard Budgeting model - would have been a bit in the dark had I not researched RCM ahead of time.   Answer Question

Research Consultant, Higher Education Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Education Advisory Board in February 2014.

I engaged in a 30 minute phone interview. I was really only asked one question, "Explain to me your resume." There was one or two very general questions asked after that which I do not recall but these were not very substantive. The only real question I was asked was to explain my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Again, during the phone interview, I was asked to walk the interviewer through my resume. There were no detailed or specific questions. I had expected these to follow, but that was it- "tell me about your resume."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Education Advisory Board in February 2014.

Normal phone interview with their HR with behavioral questions, nothing out of the ordinary. Best way for me to tell the story was to walk them through my resume in a concise manner. Lasted exactly for 30 minutes, the first half was me talking about myself and briefly of my experiences and then the other half was about the group/EAB.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Education Advisory Board.

Submitted application and was quickly invited to interview over Skype. Interview questions were quite brief and typical, "strengths, weaknesses, interest in position, etc." There was no follow-up after interview at all on the next steps in the process, I assume there was no further interest in my application.

Interview Questions
    • "What Challenges have you had in your experience as a researcher?"   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Initial phone interview asked to describe previous research methods and findings. Interviewer did ask very specific questions, but it was mostly conversational.

Interview Questions
    • Describe challenges you faced in the research process and what you did to overcome them   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Education Advisory Board in April 2012.

Recruiter contacted me after I submitted my resume for another position. They asked re: my interest in a general manager position. I proceeded to interview with a recruiter, who then indicated that they needed prior GM experience for this position. As I didn't apply for the GM position nor claim that experience on my resume, it was a bit odd - and seemed to distract them from talking with me about the position for which I seemed a more logical fit.

Interview Questions
    • This GM position covers the gamut from product (software) development to services delivery - implementation and advisory services. Candidates should be prepared to demonstrate that they have worked across all go to market responsibilities.   View Answer