Education Management Corporation
www.edmc.edu Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

Education Management Corporation Interview Questions & Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA

Updated Mar 21, 2014

Getting the Interview

17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Education Management Corporation in June 2012.

Interview Details – a brief interview with 2 different people

Interview Question – can you hold a conversation ( not lying, this is what the requirements are ). The gentlemen interviewing me followed up by saying .... we can train you how to use psychology to get the results you want from people.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was offered. I took the job because I was desperate

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Education Management Corporation in August 2010.

Interview Details – The company didn't call me for an interview until 4 months after apply, at which point I didn't know what they were looking for anymore. The manager didn't ask me questions where I could really speak -- I think she just wanted to hear herself. She painted this rosy picture of a wonderful department that worked hard and did a good job, yet when I got there it was a disaster -- people worked long hours (sometimes overnight), processes were poorly managed, individuals were having nervous breakdowns (definitely not what she told me I could expect).

Interview Question – "Tell me what you can do to make me look good."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation -- take it or leave it.

Assistant Director of Admissions Interview

Assistant Director of Admissions
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Education Management Corporation in May 2010.

Interview Details – Did a 30 minute phone interview, met with Sr. Director of admissions, and director of admissions, waited about 1 week to hear back, another week to receive offer letter

Interview Question – Sell me this pen...   Answer Question

Assistant Director of Admissions Interview

Assistant Director of Admissions
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Education Management Corporation in August 2010.

Interview Details – 1 Phone interview and 2 in office interviews

Interview Question – Role playing a call pretending to call a student on 1st in office interview. No background or warning.   Answer Question

Recovery Specialist Interview

Recovery Specialist
Greentree, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Education Management Corporation in February 2012.

Interview Details – I had an interview with a staffing agency on a monday in February 2012, they called me to have and interview with edmc Wednesday that same week. I then recieved a call that thursday that they wanted me to start working money the following week. Very smooth process.

Interview Question – What would you be able to bring to the department?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, it was more pay than my current job at the time.

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Education Management Corporation in May 2010.

Interview Details – The best way to get an interview is to have a current employee submit it for you. Since there are $500 referral bonuses, just find someone on Linked In and I'm sure they'd be happy to submit you. There's a phone call for pre-screening. Make it sound like you love to talk to and solicit people over the phone and that you have a passion for education.

Interview Question – They pretty much hire anyone who can speak effectively, so just don't be nervous. Be big on "quaility conversations," like asking open ended question that are followed up with developing questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't much of one. They now start most people out at one rate, around $34k I think, then it goes up to around $40k, I think, once you make it through training. Only do this job if all you care about is the salary mentioned above. There really are no other incentives, like job satisfaction or work-life balance.

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Education Management Corporation in May 2012.

Interview Details – When I was told that I was to be interviewed a second time by the Director of Admissions, I was not told that I would be interviewing as an admissions representative of South University, Therefore, I was not properly prepared in knowing more specifically about South University. I wasn't made aware that I would be working for an online division of an existing brick and mortar university.

Interview Question – Did not have a most difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation stage. I was told what I would make as a trainee and told about the $5,000.00 increase when out of the training pod.

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Education Management Corporation in May 2011.

Interview Details – Pretty basic interview, asking about former experience and qualifications. Seems to be about getting an idea of how you are in conversation as much as what exactly you're saying. Took a good while to get back to me after the interview for a job offer, but overall not a bad experience.

Interview Question – Nothing too surprising   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Education Management Corporation in May 2009.

Interview Details – Easiest interview of your life. Make sure the person sitting across from you likes you. You're hired.

Negotiation Details – Ask for what you are worth. But now, I would not ask for me than 40k to start. You won't get it.

Pittsburgh, PA

Interview Details – This was an intensive two day mass interviewing for Admissions Representative. EDMC was looking for people with at least a Bachelor's Degree, the ability to sell online eduction, as well as people with friendly personalities.

The first step was a computer survey with asked a number of scenario questions, personality questions and "how do you deal with ...." questions. This was followed by an initial, triage interview to determine who would be passed onto the hiring managers. Common background, skills and what would you do in this instance question were asked. If this interviewer felt you did well, you were then interviewed by a hiring manager. This interview was only 10-15 minutes long.

The hiring manger then asked questions about how you would handle yourself in certain situations, such as being part of a team, in a controversial situation, in their work environment, etc. Additionally, you were asked how your work experience, as shown on your resume, would help you in this job. The job was explained and you were asked whether you felt you could handle this job. This manager was looking for someone comfortable talking with people who were pursuing master and doctorate degrees. This interview took about an hour.

The hiring manager was not conversant on benefits, vacations, etc.

Interview Question – How did I handle a controversial situation or person in any of my previous jobs?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation interview questions and advice in Pittsburgh, PA. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees and interview candidates.