Education Pioneers Analyst Fellow Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2015

3.6

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

Very involved multi-step hiring process including sample data analysis, phone interview, 1 on 1 interview, and group project/presentation. Succeeding in the interview process, however, does not guarantee you a position, which depends entirely on matching you with an interested partner organization.

Interview Questions

• Very standard set of interview questions and scenarios   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Education Pioneers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial steps include submitting an online application and completing a data exercise. If selected, you'll participate in a phone interview and then if you advance to the final round, it will be a group interview. If given an offer, you move to the placement process where they try to match you with a partner organization and project.

Interview Questions

• When is a time you've dealt with an ambiguous situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. They followed up in a few days with an excel test. The test was on basic skills of organizing data in a file that they sent and then writing short answers to questions about what the data suggested, what recommendations you could make, etc. I found the excel test pretty straightforward but I would suggest brushing up on excel skills like making tables, graphs, etc. I also found that the excel test took me longer than the 90 minutes they referenced despite the fact that I've spent a lot of time on excel for work over the past 5 years. I don't know if perhaps I spent too long on answering the short answer questions or something else. Afterward, they contacted me to schedule a phone interview, which I scheduled online.

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There was a detailed online application, optional reception, several hours long Excel test, phone screen, and a several hours long in-person group interview (individual exercise, presentation, group exercise, presentation). This was followed by a 2h break and a 'mandatory reception.' THEN I was accepted into the placement process, and you have to re-do your resume and wait for a placement suggestion so you can go for an interview with an organization where you might actually work! I'm surprised there were no blood tests or tough mudder races. So yes, it was a long process, especially if you consider that this is for a 10 month fellowship that pays $45k. I'm 90 days in and haven't received a placement suggestion yet. The upside of all of this is that I learned a ton about education reform and met many current fellows, all of whom were generous in talking about their experience and giving advice. I believe that EP is a great opportunity for the right people--that is, someone a few years out of college who really wants to get into data-related education reform work and who doesn't have another avenue to do so.

Interview Questions

• What was one time when you had a difficult interpersonal situation at work, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the Analyst Fellowship in February and soon after received an critical thinking assignment. This exercise was a data analysis task using Excel. I recommend reviewing some concepts in Excel beforehand, otherwise, the exercise required mostly common sense mixed with some technical/statistical ability. About a month later, I received an invitation for a phone interview, which I scheduled online. The interview was conducted by an Education Pioneers alumni. She was very pleasant, but a little robotic as the questions were obviously pre-defined and structured to achieve consistency in the interviews. At this point, I am waiting to hear about the group interview, and they are very clear about the timeline of the notification, with all dates posted on their website.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (New Orleans, LA) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application, did a quantitative excercise and had a phone interview. My phone interview consisted of basic behavioral questions and a scenario. I also got the chance to ask questions from an alum.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you worked with someone who had a different work style?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

The process is made up of 4 parts: Submit Resume, Quantitative Exercise, Behavioral Interview, and Group Interview. It allows you to slowly to decide whether you would like to take the job. It also gives you a great perspective about the company. I enjoyed meeting a lot of the people involved in the program, but ultimately decided not to take the job

Interview Questions

• Dissect data and come up with presentation and present it in 90 min   Answer Question

Didn't get the city that I wanted

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

Three interview rounds. First was an online application, second was an excel exercise, and the third was a group interview day with several other applicants. The time limit for the in person case study passes really quickly so beware of the time.

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA).

Interview

Initial application is an online form - standard resume, cover letter, why do you want to work for us, etc. If they like what you see, they send you a quantitative Excel exercise to complete in one hour. If they like that, you get invited to a group interview. The group interview is the nerve-wracking part. It's a multi hour process the includes individual work, group work, and one on one "scenarios" with others. I actually enjoyed it. Great experience, and they go out their way to try and make it not stressful (as much as it can be). Met some interesting people with surprisingly diverse backgrounds. After the group interview there's a happy hour sort of meet and mingle. Nice, but I do wish there had been more alumni there to talk to about their experience. This concludes the group portion. If you pass the group portion, there is a final phone interview. If you pass that, you're in. Overall I had a very positive experience, considering I didn't get the job. They make an effort to make it positive and answer any questions you have. My only complaint was that my geographic preference was cut, and they never really told me that I should re-select geographic preferences.

Interview Questions

• Questions widely vary, lots of quantitative ones, and lots looking to see your passion for education and your team player abilities. Nothing too crazy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Education Pioneers (Boston, MA) in May 2012.

Interview

It was pretty intense - a preliminary application, then you were invited to a online test of sorts involving data analysis & manipulation in Excel, then if you passed that, you were invited for a phone interview. The finalists were then interviewed in competitive group half-day interviews, where about 20 candidates met at the same time to complete two steps. The first was an individual data analysis and presentation, and the second was working in a small group to put together a group presentation while you were being observed. It was intimidating beforehand, but during the group interview itself I actually enjoyed the challenge.

Interview Questions

• I think the hardest part for me was the online analysis in Excel, because it was timed and devoid of context. For the group interview, the task was placed in a case study context and it was clearer what the objective was, so I actually found that easier. I also just liked actually interacting with people in person not just following automated directions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was actually given a conditional offer, which I gladly accepted. When I got the offer, I was told it was very likely they would be able to find me a placement. Then the woman responsible for my placement (whom I had never met throughout the interview process) apparently didn't think me qualified or something, because she made very little effort to place me - she got me only one interview with a prospective sponsor organization, one that she admitted was highly unlikely to take any fellows. She strung the whole process out over almost the whole summer - even when the program was supposed to start in August. Her attitude and treatment of me really colored my opinion of the whole organization, which up to that point I had been favorable impressed with.