Education Pioneers

www.educationpioneers.org

Education Pioneers Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 28, 2014

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview Details – The first round was just the online application. After passing that round, you are asked to complete a timed critical thinking exercise on line. My questions were surrounding how to help charter school leadership gain community engagement. Several facts about the school were given and you had to create a plan of action for going about getting the community involved in success of the students. After that round I had a group interview (some people do the in depth interview first). The group interview was about 2 hours long. We had decide on an organization to turn around a failing school and create a presentation to address how we came up with our recommendation given the information. Lastly, there was an in depth interview with an Ed Pioneers consultant.

Interview Question – In depth interview question: Speak about a professional situation in which you implemented structure where there was previously lots of ambiguity.   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in January 2014.

Interview Details – There was an online application, then an exercise, then a phone interview. I did not advance from the phone interview to the final interview. The questions were rather vague and did not ask about specifics. They wanted to know about my investment in working in education. I wondered if maybe it is possible to be TOO qualified for this job - I was a TFA alumni and had extensive experience working in education. They might want someone who is coming in from the outside, so to speak.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had difficulty working with another person   View Answer

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview Details – 4 rounds, two on line, a phone interview then a group interview

Interview Question – They ask you for feedback on your performance and your groups performance the day of the group interview.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview Details – First, there is the online application, and followed by a timed critical thinking exercise, in which you are supposed to address a school issue. Then I was invited to a one-on-one skype interview, and the last stage of the process is a group interview.

Interview Question – I was not prepared for this question (I am paraphrasing): if given the chance,what education policy will you propose?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Education Pioneers

Interview Details – The process included numerous steps, but fairly straightforward. The first step was an initial application which included my resume. I was then invited to complete the critical thinking exercise, which included answering two case study type questions. The exercise is timed, and given parameters about a school district, I was asked to make recommendations and describe how I would go about solving the problem. I was also asked how Education Pioneers would help to further my career. Upon completing that task, I was then invited to an in-depth interview, which took place over the phone. I was asked typical interview questions, as well as what I would bring to the fellowship. Lastly, upon successfully passing this step I was invited to the group interview day in which candidates were put in groups and asked to choose which CMO to recommend to a school district.

Interview Question – Describe how you handle uncertainty   Answer Question

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship

I applied online - interviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2014.

Interview Details – After completing the initial application and a critical thinking exercise, participated in a phone interview. Next step will be group interview. Questions were as expected - describe a time you implemented change, when was a time you went above and beyond what was expected, how did you handle a time when you conflicted with a fellow group member, etc

Interview Question – Describe a time when expectations changed, how you handled it and what were the outcomes   Answer Question

Interviewed at Education Pioneers

Interview Details – Detailed process. Starting with timed online assessment and project. It's a project management type problem -- so think about how you map out and organize a team to solve a problem (timeline, decision-making criteria etc.) You also have to answer some essay questions relating to your interest. Next round is phone interview. Behavioral questions. Passion for education. Etc. Group interview day they give you a case scenario and observe you working through it in a group setting. The next day you have to submit a written reflection on the process. Overall very pleasant process. Very nice staff.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you exceeded expectations. I was ready for the failure questions, but not as ready to toot my own horn this way. They appreciate very specific examples on questions.   Answer Question

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship

I applied online and interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview Details – First there's an initial application. Then, there's a timed emailed critical thinking exercise that also includes questions about why you want the position. Then, there's an in-person interview, a group interview, and a written reflection.

Interview Question – What is your biggest professional shortcoming (or something like that)?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Education Pioneers

Interview Details – Application process is long- first step is filling out the application, second step is an online timed case study, third step is individual interview, fourth step is group interview/activity. I only made it to the individual interview. Interviewer was friendly and relaxed, but apparently they just record your answers and put them into a computer. So the next step must be divided by some sort of algorithm. Interviewer told me that they look for people with diverse backgrounds but I'm not sure that's the case, as I have no education policy experience and was not advanced.

Interview Question – Questions were all pretty canned- toughest one was probably "Describe a time when you dealt with ambiguity?"   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2013.

Interview Details – Detailed and intensive process. First you complete your application online, then you have to do a timed 90 minute online critical thinking exercise. Mine was about a fictitious tutoring company and I had to use some data within the excerpt to develop solutions for some of the issues they may have. its important to read carefully and be detail-oriented but also think about the function and operations.
if you do well on that you are asked to sign up for a phone interview slot. The questions were pretty straightforward. Be pleasant, specific, concise, use your resume to help you. After that you are asked to come in for a group interview. you are given a situation/case study and asked to work in a sizable group (which is quite difficult) to develop a plan to answer a prompt. your team then has a 5-10 minute presentation with some time for questions from the other team you are presenting to. People you are presenting to take on different roles so it is important that you or a team member know how to address many points of view. They are looking at your people management skills here. Again, be pleasant. I'm not sure what the winning combination of characteristics are because most of the people on my team did not get in (i did not see them after that) and in general the statistics they told us about indicated that the fellowship is very selective.

Interview Question – I am paraphrasing:

describe a time when you implemented a change. What happened and how did you measure that?
tell me about a time when you had to work with difficult people. What did you do and what happened?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. you are told about your fellowship amount in advance.

Worked for Education Pioneers? Contribute to the Community!