Education Pioneers Graduate School Fellowship Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A very thorough process which started with on-line application followed by a timed on-line critical thinking exam. After this there was a short (30 minute) 1:1 face-to-face interview with an EP rep, and then a longer phone interview, finally a longer group interview / interaction.

The Group Interview takes place in multiple cities around the country and takes 1/2 day. The purpose of this group interview (my opinion) is to understand how you interact in a team setting, get a better view of your critical thinking, analytical and reasoning skills and

At the end of your Group Interview EP reviewers will ask the group questions about their recommendations and potential shortcomings/challenges.

Everyone I dealt with was very professional, knowledgeable and helpful. The process is extremely well organized and managed like clock work. I was also very impressed with the other candidates in terms of intellect and a teamwork/check-your-ego-at-the-door attitude which would make them great people to work with.

Interview Questions

• Group interview asked us to review a case study and prepare and deliver a group presentation providing recommendations, explanation of the reasoning behind our recommendations and potential implementation problems, resource requirements etc.

At the end of your group's presentation you are asked questions to get a feeling for how you handle yourself

All this was done under the review of EP personnel and under a very strict time limit.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Upon acceptance into the Fellowship program they begin the process of actually placing you with a partner organization.

Fellowships are all at fixed rate for the term (10 weeks or 1 year). I don't know if there is any movement in this for some of the more expensive cities.

Other Interview Reviews for Education Pioneers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Begins with an online application and critical thinking exercise. If you're accepted for the next round you'll have a ~30 minute phone interview with an EP alum. After that you will potentially get an offer for the in-person group interview day. This is a two hour event where you'll work with a team on a hypothetical problem for a local school district. If they're still interested after that you may receive an offer from EP, but you'll then have to wait to hear about a placement. I have accepted a conditional offer, but will still need to interview with my placement company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working in education reform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

1. Online application: basic information followed by online test for devising a strategy plan for a troublesome school.
    2. phone interview: standard experience and behavioral questions
    3. group interview: group of 4-5 people.
    ----Now EP decides whether they hire you or not, could be 10 month or 1 year long placement---
    4. placement with actual employer interviews (haven't happened)

Interview Questions

• During phone interview, they presented a case where one school could not find good teachers and asked about how you were going to solve it if you were hired as a consultant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The conditional offer is tricky, but they are very helpful in telling you what to expect.

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

I initially submitted my resume online. Within couple of hours, got a computer generated email that I am being invited to take the online exam. I was given a week to take the exam but maybe able to delay if you are too busy take the 1.5 hour exam. You just need to email them. After the exam, once you pass it, they will send you another email that you have pass the exam and gave you a timeline when to expect you will be contacted again for an interview. Approximately 4-6 weeks, I got an email to interview. Interview is standard. 45 mins long. They will email you again if you pass and if you will move to the group interview. Still waiting. I applied very early sometime in September and was advise to wait until January for the next step

Interview Questions

• What can you contribute to our partners? It only sounds difficult since I don't have enough information about their partners.   Answer Question
    • What you can contribute to our partners? It's sounds hard only because I don't have enough background about their partners   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Education Pioneers (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Pretty clear process - apply online, if they are interested they will follow up with a request for you to do an online critical thinking case study exercise. Then, a 30-60 min phone interview, then you may be selected for an in person group interview.

Interview Questions

• What was a solution or change your proposed, how was it received by your peers and what kind of impact did the change have (and how did you measure it)   Answer Question

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Education Pioneers in January 2014.

Interview

Applied online first and then got the critical thinking test online. If you pass these two steps, you will have a chance to do an in-depth phone interview. Finally a group interview to analyze a real case. Wait for the offer.

Interview Questions

• How did you implement a plan in your professional life when the circumstance is not clear?   Answer Question

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

I completed several phases of the interview process. After reviewing my application, EP emailed saying that they would like to move forward in the process by sending an exercise for me to complete. Although I don't remember the details, the exercise consisted of a scenario of an imaginary education nonprofit organization; your job is to discuss how you would approach the scenario. I was told that I 'passed' that portion and was asked to set up a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of the questions that have been listed here in these reviews (Thanks - they helped me prepare!) I was told that I 'passed' this interview and was invited to a 'Group Interview Day'. I really did not know what to expect, but the Group interview was basically like a timed school group project, with a staff person in the background watching what's going on. You are given a scenario during the introduction phase of the group interview day, which you brainstorm alone, quietly, for about 15 minutes before being divided into pre-organized groups.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time that you had a conflict with a coworker. What was it and how did you resolve it.   1 Answer