Education Pioneers Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2015

3.3

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

Very involved multi-step hiring process including sample data analysis, phone interview, 1 on 1 interview, and group project/presentation. Succeeding in the interview process, however, does not guarantee you a position, which depends entirely on matching you with an interested partner organization.

Interview Questions

• Very standard set of interview questions and scenarios   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. They followed up in a few days with an excel test. The test was on basic skills of organizing data in a file that they sent and then writing short answers to questions about what the data suggested, what recommendations you could make, etc. I found the excel test pretty straightforward but I would suggest brushing up on excel skills like making tables, graphs, etc. I also found that the excel test took me longer than the 90 minutes they referenced despite the fact that I've spent a lot of time on excel for work over the past 5 years. I don't know if perhaps I spent too long on answering the short answer questions or something else. Afterward, they contacted me to schedule a phone interview, which I scheduled online.

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There was a detailed online application, optional reception, several hours long Excel test, phone screen, and a several hours long in-person group interview (individual exercise, presentation, group exercise, presentation). This was followed by a 2h break and a 'mandatory reception.' THEN I was accepted into the placement process, and you have to re-do your resume and wait for a placement suggestion so you can go for an interview with an organization where you might actually work!

I'm surprised there were no blood tests or tough mudder races.

So yes, it was a long process, especially if you consider that this is for a 10 month fellowship that pays $45k. I'm 90 days in and haven't received a placement suggestion yet. The upside of all of this is that I learned a ton about education reform and met many current fellows, all of whom were generous in talking about their experience and giving advice.

I believe that EP is a great opportunity for the right people--that is, someone a few years out of college who really wants to get into data-related education reform work and who doesn't have another avenue to do so.

Interview Questions

• What was one time when you had a difficult interpersonal situation at work, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Newark, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

After submitting the initial application, then getting invited to fill out a timed (75 minutes) response to a business case (how would you lower teacher turnover), I was invited to schedule a phone interview with one of the EP alumni. The phone interviewer seemed a little wooden in reading the questions and there were a few awkward moments of silence after I answered some questions as if I was expected to say more - the problem with phone interviews is you don't have the visible cues that help in the communication process. I did get to ask questions at the end but didn't feel I really connected and some of her answers sounded very boilerplate.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2015.

Interview

First round interview, with a EP alumnus, for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. I was contacted via email by EP after submiting the application to proceed to the interview. I was given time slots to pick the actual interview time. There were plenty to choose from, morning through evening. The interviewer was nice and friendly. The interviewer sounded like reading off of a list of questions.

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the Analyst Fellowship in February and soon after received an critical thinking assignment. This exercise was a data analysis task using Excel. I recommend reviewing some concepts in Excel beforehand, otherwise, the exercise required mostly common sense mixed with some technical/statistical ability. About a month later, I received an invitation for a phone interview, which I scheduled online. The interview was conducted by an Education Pioneers alumni. She was very pleasant, but a little robotic as the questions were obviously pre-defined and structured to achieve consistency in the interviews. At this point, I am waiting to hear about the group interview, and they are very clear about the timeline of the notification, with all dates posted on their website.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A very thorough process which started with on-line application followed by a timed on-line critical thinking exam. After this there was a short (30 minute) 1:1 face-to-face interview with an EP rep, and then a longer phone interview, finally a longer group interview / interaction.

The Group Interview takes place in multiple cities around the country and takes 1/2 day. The purpose of this group interview (my opinion) is to understand how you interact in a team setting, get a better view of your critical thinking, analytical and reasoning skills and

At the end of your Group Interview EP reviewers will ask the group questions about their recommendations and potential shortcomings/challenges.

Everyone I dealt with was very professional, knowledgeable and helpful. The process is extremely well organized and managed like clock work. I was also very impressed with the other candidates in terms of intellect and a teamwork/check-your-ego-at-the-door attitude which would make them great people to work with.

Interview Questions

• Group interview asked us to review a case study and prepare and deliver a group presentation providing recommendations, explanation of the reasoning behind our recommendations and potential implementation problems, resource requirements etc.

At the end of your group's presentation you are asked questions to get a feeling for how you handle yourself

All this was done under the review of EP personnel and under a very strict time limit.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Upon acceptance into the Fellowship program they begin the process of actually placing you with a partner organization.

Fellowships are all at fixed rate for the term (10 weeks or 1 year). I don't know if there is any movement in this for some of the more expensive cities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (New Orleans, LA) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application, did a quantitative excercise and had a phone interview. My phone interview consisted of basic behavioral questions and a scenario. I also got the chance to ask questions from an alum.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you worked with someone who had a different work style?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Begins with an online application and critical thinking exercise. If you're accepted for the next round you'll have a ~30 minute phone interview with an EP alum. After that you will potentially get an offer for the in-person group interview day. This is a two hour event where you'll work with a team on a hypothetical problem for a local school district. If they're still interested after that you may receive an offer from EP, but you'll then have to wait to hear about a placement. I have accepted a conditional offer, but will still need to interview with my placement company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working in education reform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

1. Online application: basic information followed by online test for devising a strategy plan for a troublesome school.
    2. phone interview: standard experience and behavioral questions
    3. group interview: group of 4-5 people.
    ----Now EP decides whether they hire you or not, could be 10 month or 1 year long placement---
    4. placement with actual employer interviews (haven't happened)

Interview Questions

• During phone interview, they presented a case where one school could not find good teachers and asked about how you were going to solve it if you were hired as a consultant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The conditional offer is tricky, but they are very helpful in telling you what to expect.