Education Pioneers

3.3

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2015.

1. Online application: basic information followed by online test for devising a strategy plan for a troublesome school.
    2. phone interview: standard experience and behavioral questions
    3. group interview: group of 4-5 people.
    ----Now EP decides whether they hire you or not, could be 10 month or 1 year long placement---
    4. placement with actual employer interviews (haven't happened)

Interview Questions
    • During phone interview, they presented a case where one school could not find good teachers and asked about how you were going to solve it if you were hired as a consultant.   Answer Question
    The conditional offer is tricky, but they are very helpful in telling you what to expect.

Program Interview

I followed up several times before I got a response, emailing the office that I was applying for went a long way. The HR is national but if they hear from the local office, it helps. The process was standard, it started with an initial screening call with HR, call with prospective manager. Questions about working style, project and event management.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask questions about the values, define and prioritize   Answer Question

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Education Pioneers.

I am just in the 2nd stage but for the critical thinking activity I was asked how I would reduce teacher turnover in a school given a list of data and numbers. I was also asked why I want to work in the education sector. This was easy given my background as a teacher.

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers.

I initially submitted my resume online. Within couple of hours, got a computer generated email that I am being invited to take the online exam. I was given a week to take the exam but maybe able to delay if you are too busy take the 1.5 hour exam. You just need to email them. After the exam, once you pass it, they will send you another email that you have pass the exam and gave you a timeline when to expect you will be contacted again for an interview. Approximately 4-6 weeks, I got an email to interview. Interview is standard. 45 mins long. They will email you again if you pass and if you will move to the group interview. Still waiting. I applied very early sometime in September and was advise to wait until January for the next step

Interview Questions
    • What can you contribute to our partners? It only sounds difficult since I don't have enough information about their partners.   Answer Question
    • What you can contribute to our partners? It's sounds hard only because I don't have enough background about their partners   Answer Question

Analyst Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers in May 2014.

The process is made up of 4 parts: Submit Resume, Quantitative Exercise, Behavioral Interview, and Group Interview. It allows you to slowly to decide whether you would like to take the job. It also gives you a great perspective about the company. I enjoyed meeting a lot of the people involved in the program, but ultimately decided not to take the job

Interview Questions
    • Dissect data and come up with presentation and present it in 90 min   Answer Question

Didn't get the city that I wanted

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Education Pioneers.

The first round was just the online application. After passing that round, you are asked to complete a timed critical thinking exercise on line. My questions were surrounding how to help charter school leadership gain community engagement. Several facts about the school were given and you had to create a plan of action for going about getting the community involved in success of the students. After that round I had a group interview (some people do the in depth interview first). The group interview was about 2 hours long. We had decide on an organization to turn around a failing school and create a presentation to address how we came up with our recommendation given the information. Lastly, there was an in depth interview with an Ed Pioneers consultant.

Interview Questions
    • In depth interview question: Speak about a professional situation in which you implemented structure where there was previously lots of ambiguity.   Answer Question

Summer Graduate Fellow Interview

The group interview process focuses on your leadership ability in a group and your interpersonal communication style as much as it focuses on your ability to come up with an action plan to solve the case. Make sure to reference the pre-readings in your discussion. Also, don't talk over others, be mindful of your audience. No one wants to work with someone overbearing or unaware of social courtesies.

Interview Questions
    • Name an instance in which you faced a challenge with a co-worker. How did you respond to the situation?   Answer Question

Analyst Fellowship - More Info On GROUP INTERVIEW Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

You can read about the initial Excel exercise and phone interview in previous reviews, THIS IS MORE INFO ON THE GROUP INTERVIEW ONLY.

I was presented with a case via email a few weeks before the group interview day. It was a school whose students are struggling with academic performance and they wanted to apply the "restart" program. You are given basic information such as budget, performance, and demographic of the school.

During group interview, I was presented with 3 options for which organization will restart the struggling school. I was also given 90 minutes to decided which organization is best to carry out the restart program and create a 5 minute presentation on my decision (one-on-one presentation with one of the staff members using my computer). They encourage creating graphs,charts, and models from the survey data that is given at the interview. Again, basic information such as student performance, history, budget, and demographics are provided for each option.

Afterwards, we were placed randomly into teams of 3 or 4 for 30 minutes to collectively make a decision on what option is best to carry out the restart program. We are supposed to create a 5 minute presentation to another group and allow 5 minutes for questions of our decision. A few staff members are present to observe how well you work in a team, make decisions collectively, contribute, etc.

The most difficult aspect was absorbing all the information, making a decision, and having data/graphs/charts to support your decision all in 90 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • One-on-one questions: "What are some other factors that influenced your decision", "Please describe any holes in your analysis."   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

I applied online and then received the invitation to the Excel test, which I completely bombed and was not offered any follow-up interview after that...

While I'm sure many people applying for this position will not find the test difficult, I'll give you my background to help you understand the knowledge I brought and hopefully give you a clue as to whether you may find it difficult or not!

I was an English/Psych undergrad, so I took a social stats course and research methods. I also did undergrad research in social psych and used SPSS to analyze. That was three years ago when I applied, and none of my work experience to date utilized data analysis. In preparation, I did get most of the way through an online Excel course (filtered.com) which gave me a passing familiarity with many of the topics on the test. However, I knew the minute I opened the test that it was a doomed cause.

I did attend a reception for this position and was impressed with the people I met there (alums, other prospectives). I will add that they clearly state they are looking for diversity and did feel that being white would be a hindrance in this application. HOWEVER, this had nothing at all with why I didn't get it, I am sure, because my Excel skills were that bad!

Education Pioneer Analyst Fellowship Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

Interview process was long. Involved a phone interview, an excel task, and then a group interview day which is set for the region and it is then your responsibility to reach. Once you are offered a spot in the cohort, the organization is very responsive and you are contacted multiple times. Once you accept a spot however, they are very slow to respond to emails, and ask for very limited information in try to match you with partner organizations. Overall, the positions you are matched with are often not good fits with your skill set. Only after two less than ideal matches did anyone contact me to ask what my skills and experiences actually entailed.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview is tricky in that it involves both you doing analysis independently and then melding your opinions with others.   Answer Question
    Even though I was accepted into the program, EP was unable to match me. Overall the whole experience took forever and they were very unhelpful once I was accepted.