Education Pioneers Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

3.3

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the Analyst Fellowship in February and soon after received an critical thinking assignment. This exercise was a data analysis task using Excel. I recommend reviewing some concepts in Excel beforehand, otherwise, the exercise required mostly common sense mixed with some technical/statistical ability. About a month later, I received an invitation for a phone interview, which I scheduled online. The interview was conducted by an Education Pioneers alumni. She was very pleasant, but a little robotic as the questions were obviously pre-defined and structured to achieve consistency in the interviews. At this point, I am waiting to hear about the group interview, and they are very clear about the timeline of the notification, with all dates posted on their website.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A very thorough process which started with on-line application followed by a timed on-line critical thinking exam. After this there was a short (30 minute) 1:1 face-to-face interview with an EP rep, and then a longer phone interview, finally a longer group interview / interaction.

The Group Interview takes place in multiple cities around the country and takes 1/2 day. The purpose of this group interview (my opinion) is to understand how you interact in a team setting, get a better view of your critical thinking, analytical and reasoning skills and

At the end of your Group Interview EP reviewers will ask the group questions about their recommendations and potential shortcomings/challenges.

Everyone I dealt with was very professional, knowledgeable and helpful. The process is extremely well organized and managed like clock work. I was also very impressed with the other candidates in terms of intellect and a teamwork/check-your-ego-at-the-door attitude which would make them great people to work with.

Interview Questions

• Group interview asked us to review a case study and prepare and deliver a group presentation providing recommendations, explanation of the reasoning behind our recommendations and potential implementation problems, resource requirements etc.

At the end of your group's presentation you are asked questions to get a feeling for how you handle yourself

All this was done under the review of EP personnel and under a very strict time limit.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Upon acceptance into the Fellowship program they begin the process of actually placing you with a partner organization.

Fellowships are all at fixed rate for the term (10 weeks or 1 year). I don't know if there is any movement in this for some of the more expensive cities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (New Orleans, LA) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application, did a quantitative excercise and had a phone interview. My phone interview consisted of basic behavioral questions and a scenario. I also got the chance to ask questions from an alum.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you worked with someone who had a different work style?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Begins with an online application and critical thinking exercise. If you're accepted for the next round you'll have a ~30 minute phone interview with an EP alum. After that you will potentially get an offer for the in-person group interview day. This is a two hour event where you'll work with a team on a hypothetical problem for a local school district. If they're still interested after that you may receive an offer from EP, but you'll then have to wait to hear about a placement. I have accepted a conditional offer, but will still need to interview with my placement company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working in education reform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

1. Online application: basic information followed by online test for devising a strategy plan for a troublesome school.
    2. phone interview: standard experience and behavioral questions
    3. group interview: group of 4-5 people.
    ----Now EP decides whether they hire you or not, could be 10 month or 1 year long placement---
    4. placement with actual employer interviews (haven't happened)

Interview Questions

• During phone interview, they presented a case where one school could not find good teachers and asked about how you were going to solve it if you were hired as a consultant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The conditional offer is tricky, but they are very helpful in telling you what to expect.

Program Interview

Interview

I followed up several times before I got a response, emailing the office that I was applying for went a long way. The HR is national but if they hear from the local office, it helps. The process was standard, it started with an initial screening call with HR, call with prospective manager. Questions about working style, project and event management.

Interview Questions

• They will ask questions about the values, define and prioritize   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

I am just in the 2nd stage but for the critical thinking activity I was asked how I would reduce teacher turnover in a school given a list of data and numbers. I was also asked why I want to work in the education sector. This was easy given my background as a teacher.

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

I initially submitted my resume online. Within couple of hours, got a computer generated email that I am being invited to take the online exam. I was given a week to take the exam but maybe able to delay if you are too busy take the 1.5 hour exam. You just need to email them. After the exam, once you pass it, they will send you another email that you have pass the exam and gave you a timeline when to expect you will be contacted again for an interview. Approximately 4-6 weeks, I got an email to interview. Interview is standard. 45 mins long. They will email you again if you pass and if you will move to the group interview. Still waiting. I applied very early sometime in September and was advise to wait until January for the next step

Interview Questions

• What can you contribute to our partners? It only sounds difficult since I don't have enough information about their partners.   Answer Question
    • What you can contribute to our partners? It's sounds hard only because I don't have enough background about their partners   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

The process is made up of 4 parts: Submit Resume, Quantitative Exercise, Behavioral Interview, and Group Interview. It allows you to slowly to decide whether you would like to take the job. It also gives you a great perspective about the company. I enjoyed meeting a lot of the people involved in the program, but ultimately decided not to take the job

Interview Questions

• Dissect data and come up with presentation and present it in 90 min   Answer Question

Didn't get the city that I wanted

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

The first round was just the online application. After passing that round, you are asked to complete a timed critical thinking exercise on line. My questions were surrounding how to help charter school leadership gain community engagement. Several facts about the school were given and you had to create a plan of action for going about getting the community involved in success of the students. After that round I had a group interview (some people do the in depth interview first). The group interview was about 2 hours long. We had decide on an organization to turn around a failing school and create a presentation to address how we came up with our recommendation given the information. Lastly, there was an in depth interview with an Ed Pioneers consultant.

Interview Questions

• In depth interview question: Speak about a professional situation in which you implemented structure where there was previously lots of ambiguity.   Answer Question