Education Pioneers

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.3

Analyst Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers in May 2014.

The process is made up of 4 parts: Submit Resume, Quantitative Exercise, Behavioral Interview, and Group Interview. It allows you to slowly to decide whether you would like to take the job. It also gives you a great perspective about the company. I enjoyed meeting a lot of the people involved in the program, but ultimately decided not to take the job

Interview Questions
    • Dissect data and come up with presentation and present it in 90 min   Answer Question

Didn't get the city that I wanted

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Education Pioneers.

The first round was just the online application. After passing that round, you are asked to complete a timed critical thinking exercise on line. My questions were surrounding how to help charter school leadership gain community engagement. Several facts about the school were given and you had to create a plan of action for going about getting the community involved in success of the students. After that round I had a group interview (some people do the in depth interview first). The group interview was about 2 hours long. We had decide on an organization to turn around a failing school and create a presentation to address how we came up with our recommendation given the information. Lastly, there was an in depth interview with an Ed Pioneers consultant.

Interview Questions
    • In depth interview question: Speak about a professional situation in which you implemented structure where there was previously lots of ambiguity.   Answer Question

Summer Graduate Fellow Interview

The group interview process focuses on your leadership ability in a group and your interpersonal communication style as much as it focuses on your ability to come up with an action plan to solve the case. Make sure to reference the pre-readings in your discussion. Also, don't talk over others, be mindful of your audience. No one wants to work with someone overbearing or unaware of social courtesies.

Interview Questions
    • Name an instance in which you faced a challenge with a co-worker. How did you respond to the situation?   Answer Question

Analyst Fellowship - More Info On GROUP INTERVIEW Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

You can read about the initial Excel exercise and phone interview in previous reviews, THIS IS MORE INFO ON THE GROUP INTERVIEW ONLY.

I was presented with a case via email a few weeks before the group interview day. It was a school whose students are struggling with academic performance and they wanted to apply the "restart" program. You are given basic information such as budget, performance, and demographic of the school.

During group interview, I was presented with 3 options for which organization will restart the struggling school. I was also given 90 minutes to decided which organization is best to carry out the restart program and create a 5 minute presentation on my decision (one-on-one presentation with one of the staff members using my computer). They encourage creating graphs,charts, and models from the survey data that is given at the interview. Again, basic information such as student performance, history, budget, and demographics are provided for each option.

Afterwards, we were placed randomly into teams of 3 or 4 for 30 minutes to collectively make a decision on what option is best to carry out the restart program. We are supposed to create a 5 minute presentation to another group and allow 5 minutes for questions of our decision. A few staff members are present to observe how well you work in a team, make decisions collectively, contribute, etc.

The most difficult aspect was absorbing all the information, making a decision, and having data/graphs/charts to support your decision all in 90 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • One-on-one questions: "What are some other factors that influenced your decision", "Please describe any holes in your analysis."   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

I applied online and then received the invitation to the Excel test, which I completely bombed and was not offered any follow-up interview after that...

While I'm sure many people applying for this position will not find the test difficult, I'll give you my background to help you understand the knowledge I brought and hopefully give you a clue as to whether you may find it difficult or not!

I was an English/Psych undergrad, so I took a social stats course and research methods. I also did undergrad research in social psych and used SPSS to analyze. That was three years ago when I applied, and none of my work experience to date utilized data analysis. In preparation, I did get most of the way through an online Excel course (filtered.com) which gave me a passing familiarity with many of the topics on the test. However, I knew the minute I opened the test that it was a doomed cause.

I did attend a reception for this position and was impressed with the people I met there (alums, other prospectives). I will add that they clearly state they are looking for diversity and did feel that being white would be a hindrance in this application. HOWEVER, this had nothing at all with why I didn't get it, I am sure, because my Excel skills were that bad!

Education Pioneer Analyst Fellowship Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

Interview process was long. Involved a phone interview, an excel task, and then a group interview day which is set for the region and it is then your responsibility to reach. Once you are offered a spot in the cohort, the organization is very responsive and you are contacted multiple times. Once you accept a spot however, they are very slow to respond to emails, and ask for very limited information in try to match you with partner organizations. Overall, the positions you are matched with are often not good fits with your skill set. Only after two less than ideal matches did anyone contact me to ask what my skills and experiences actually entailed.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview is tricky in that it involves both you doing analysis independently and then melding your opinions with others.   Answer Question
    Even though I was accepted into the program, EP was unable to match me. Overall the whole experience took forever and they were very unhelpful once I was accepted.

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers.

4 rounds, two on line, a phone interview then a group interview

Interview Questions
    • They ask you for feedback on your performance and your groups performance the day of the group interview.   View Answer

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship (Yearlong Placement) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers.

I heard about EP from their campus info session and applied online. The requirement for 2-year full time work experience is tricky, but if you are a PhD student, your college teaching experience will count.
    After the online application, they'll send you an email containing a short case study. If you have are serious about cases, I'd suggest you read some practice cases from management consulting companies (McKinsey, BCG, etc). Getting through those cases will help you much in solving the case EP had you to figure out.
    The next stage is the behavioral interview. For me this was conducted over the phone by an EP alumni. Very standard behavioral questions. I got the feeling they are really looking for your ability to solve a challenge, to work in a team with conflicts/different backgrounds, and to impact others who are more senior to you. I'd recommend have 5-6 stories at hand and describe in detail about the key actions you took in a situation and what impact did you achieve.
    The final stage is the Group interview day, where you will solve a case with another 4-5 people. During this part, an interviewer will watch the group discussing the issue and coming up with the solution. You will also need to present the case to everyone afterwards. Everything is timed so make sure people in your group pay attention to the clock! I'm not entirely sure how this is judged, as I wasn't feeling very comfortable with this format yet still got an offer. The group case format is really odd, because people have different ideas approaching a problem, and you are forced to a consensus in a relatively short amount of time. Make sure you contribute, but don't over-talk.
    You will be asked to submit a reflection on the group interview within 72 hours, they'll also contact references. Was offered a position over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • The group case interview is an odd format.   View Answer

For an international student, a year long placement can be a backup plan but not a first choice employment option. Another permanent position with better salary and benefit package is a definite win.

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Education Pioneers.

First, there is the online application, and followed by a timed critical thinking exercise, in which you are supposed to address a school issue. Then I was invited to a one-on-one skype interview, and the last stage of the process is a group interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was not prepared for this question (I am paraphrasing): if given the chance,what education policy will you propose?   Answer Question

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

The process included numerous steps, but fairly straightforward. The first step was an initial application which included my resume. I was then invited to complete the critical thinking exercise, which included answering two case study type questions. The exercise is timed, and given parameters about a school district, I was asked to make recommendations and describe how I would go about solving the problem. I was also asked how Education Pioneers would help to further my career. Upon completing that task, I was then invited to an in-depth interview, which took place over the phone. I was asked typical interview questions, as well as what I would bring to the fellowship. Lastly, upon successfully passing this step I was invited to the group interview day in which candidates were put in groups and asked to choose which CMO to recommend to a school district.