Education Pioneers Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Boston, MA) in May 2012.

Interview

It was pretty intense - a preliminary application, then you were invited to a online test of sorts involving data analysis & manipulation in Excel, then if you passed that, you were invited for a phone interview. The finalists were then interviewed in competitive group half-day interviews, where about 20 candidates met at the same time to complete two steps. The first was an individual data analysis and presentation, and the second was working in a small group to put together a group presentation while you were being observed. It was intimidating beforehand, but during the group interview itself I actually enjoyed the challenge.

Interview Questions

• I think the hardest part for me was the online analysis in Excel, because it was timed and devoid of context. For the group interview, the task was placed in a case study context and it was clearer what the objective was, so I actually found that easier. I also just liked actually interacting with people in person not just following automated directions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was actually given a conditional offer, which I gladly accepted. When I got the offer, I was told it was very likely they would be able to find me a placement. Then the woman responsible for my placement (whom I had never met throughout the interview process) apparently didn't think me qualified or something, because she made very little effort to place me - she got me only one interview with a prospective sponsor organization, one that she admitted was highly unlikely to take any fellows. She strung the whole process out over almost the whole summer - even when the program was supposed to start in August. Her attitude and treatment of me really colored my opinion of the whole organization, which up to that point I had been favorable impressed with.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Boston, MA) in April 2014.

Interview

You can read about the initial Excel exercise and phone interview in previous reviews, THIS IS MORE INFO ON THE GROUP INTERVIEW ONLY.

I was presented with a case via email a few weeks before the group interview day. It was a school whose students are struggling with academic performance and they wanted to apply the "restart" program. You are given basic information such as budget, performance, and demographic of the school.

During group interview, I was presented with 3 options for which organization will restart the struggling school. I was also given 90 minutes to decided which organization is best to carry out the restart program and create a 5 minute presentation on my decision (one-on-one presentation with one of the staff members using my computer). They encourage creating graphs,charts, and models from the survey data that is given at the interview. Again, basic information such as student performance, history, budget, and demographics are provided for each option.

Afterwards, we were placed randomly into teams of 3 or 4 for 30 minutes to collectively make a decision on what option is best to carry out the restart program. We are supposed to create a 5 minute presentation to another group and allow 5 minutes for questions of our decision. A few staff members are present to observe how well you work in a team, make decisions collectively, contribute, etc.

The most difficult aspect was absorbing all the information, making a decision, and having data/graphs/charts to support your decision all in 90 minutes.

Interview Questions

• One-on-one questions: "What are some other factors that influenced your decision", "Please describe any holes in your analysis."   Answer Question

Graduate Student Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

The interview process was extremely thorough. They definitely are looking for intelligent individuals that are passionate about education, yet have competitive skills. If you can hone in on your experiences with human capital, managing projects, developing solutions and/or managing data then you'll do fine.

Interview Questions

• Their interview process is somewhat tedious, but not too bad. The staff were all very warm and candid. The group interview was the most stressful of it all. You want to definitely make sure you shine, but in a graceful manner during the final leg.   Answer Question

Graduate Fellowship (NYC Cohort) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

Long process as other reviewers have mentioned: online app, 90min exercise, phone interview, references, group interview, summary form, and finally, offer.

The group interview process puts you in a group with what i believe are a mixed bag of professions: from lawyers to educators to MBA biz peeps, to PR folks. You will all have to work together on a project and present your "findings" as a group. A little awkward but a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Name me a time where you had to convince a group of people to go along with a plan when they did not want to. What did you do and how did the situation turn out? (paraphrasing).   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation but they do ask you a series of questions about your work ethic and style in an effort to get you the best placement possible.

Analyst Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Education Pioneers (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

After the initial online application and essay, I was invited to complete an excel exercise to measure data analysis skills. A week later, I completed a phone interview. The interview was straight and to the point; all behavioral questions looking for details on past projects, working with groups, and dealing with ambiguity. After the phone interview, a final group interview was scheduled in San Francisco. The interview consisted of 4 parts: Individual Excel Exercise , Individual Presentation , Group Presentation , Reflection. Education Pioneers staff observed during each phase, taking notes on our work and interactions. The interview last 4 hours and a reception with Alumni followed.

Overall, the interview process was thorough - in that, the excel exercises and presentations definitely tested the skills that would be necessary for the job. I was impressed with the caliber of candidates at the group interview - all from top notch institutions and companies.

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA).

Interview

Initial application is an online form - standard resume, cover letter, why do you want to work for us, etc. If they like what you see, they send you a quantitative Excel exercise to complete in one hour. If they like that, you get invited to a group interview. The group interview is the nerve-wracking part. It's a multi hour process the includes individual work, group work, and one on one "scenarios" with others. I actually enjoyed it. Great experience, and they go out their way to try and make it not stressful (as much as it can be). Met some interesting people with surprisingly diverse backgrounds. After the group interview there's a happy hour sort of meet and mingle. Nice, but I do wish there had been more alumni there to talk to about their experience. This concludes the group portion. If you pass the group portion, there is a final phone interview. If you pass that, you're in. Overall I had a very positive experience, considering I didn't get the job. They make an effort to make it positive and answer any questions you have. My only complaint was that my geographic preference was cut, and they never really told me that I should re-select geographic preferences.

Interview Questions

• Questions widely vary, lots of quantitative ones, and lots looking to see your passion for education and your team player abilities. Nothing too crazy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

The process is made up of 4 parts: Submit Resume, Quantitative Exercise, Behavioral Interview, and Group Interview. It allows you to slowly to decide whether you would like to take the job. It also gives you a great perspective about the company. I enjoyed meeting a lot of the people involved in the program, but ultimately decided not to take the job

Interview Questions

• Dissect data and come up with presentation and present it in 90 min   Answer Question

Didn't get the city that I wanted

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and then received the invitation to the Excel test, which I completely bombed and was not offered any follow-up interview after that...

While I'm sure many people applying for this position will not find the test difficult, I'll give you my background to help you understand the knowledge I brought and hopefully give you a clue as to whether you may find it difficult or not!

I was an English/Psych undergrad, so I took a social stats course and research methods. I also did undergrad research in social psych and used SPSS to analyze. That was three years ago when I applied, and none of my work experience to date utilized data analysis. In preparation, I did get most of the way through an online Excel course (filtered.com) which gave me a passing familiarity with many of the topics on the test. However, I knew the minute I opened the test that it was a doomed cause.

I did attend a reception for this position and was impressed with the people I met there (alums, other prospectives). I will add that they clearly state they are looking for diversity and did feel that being white would be a hindrance in this application. HOWEVER, this had nothing at all with why I didn't get it, I am sure, because my Excel skills were that bad!

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

1. Online application: basic information followed by online test for devising a strategy plan for a troublesome school.
    2. phone interview: standard experience and behavioral questions
    3. group interview: group of 4-5 people.
    ----Now EP decides whether they hire you or not, could be 10 month or 1 year long placement---
    4. placement with actual employer interviews (haven't happened)

Interview Questions

• During phone interview, they presented a case where one school could not find good teachers and asked about how you were going to solve it if you were hired as a consultant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The conditional offer is tricky, but they are very helpful in telling you what to expect.

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A very thorough process which started with on-line application followed by a timed on-line critical thinking exam. After this there was a short (30 minute) 1:1 face-to-face interview with an EP rep, and then a longer phone interview, finally a longer group interview / interaction.

The Group Interview takes place in multiple cities around the country and takes 1/2 day. The purpose of this group interview (my opinion) is to understand how you interact in a team setting, get a better view of your critical thinking, analytical and reasoning skills and

At the end of your Group Interview EP reviewers will ask the group questions about their recommendations and potential shortcomings/challenges.

Everyone I dealt with was very professional, knowledgeable and helpful. The process is extremely well organized and managed like clock work. I was also very impressed with the other candidates in terms of intellect and a teamwork/check-your-ego-at-the-door attitude which would make them great people to work with.

Interview Questions

• Group interview asked us to review a case study and prepare and deliver a group presentation providing recommendations, explanation of the reasoning behind our recommendations and potential implementation problems, resource requirements etc.

At the end of your group's presentation you are asked questions to get a feeling for how you handle yourself

All this was done under the review of EP personnel and under a very strict time limit.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Upon acceptance into the Fellowship program they begin the process of actually placing you with a partner organization.

Fellowships are all at fixed rate for the term (10 weeks or 1 year). I don't know if there is any movement in this for some of the more expensive cities.