Education Pioneers

Average Difficulty
41 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in May 2012.

Interview Details – It was pretty intense - a preliminary application, then you were invited to a online test of sorts involving data analysis & manipulation in Excel, then if you passed that, you were invited for a phone interview. The finalists were then interviewed in competitive group half-day interviews, where about 20 candidates met at the same time to complete two steps. The first was an individual data analysis and presentation, and the second was working in a small group to put together a group presentation while you were being observed. It was intimidating beforehand, but during the group interview itself I actually enjoyed the challenge.

Interview Question – I think the hardest part for me was the online analysis in Excel, because it was timed and devoid of context. For the group interview, the task was placed in a case study context and it was clearer what the objective was, so I actually found that easier. I also just liked actually interacting with people in person not just following automated directions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was actually given a conditional offer, which I gladly accepted. When I got the offer, I was told it was very likely they would be able to find me a placement. Then the woman responsible for my placement (whom I had never met throughout the interview process) apparently didn't think me qualified or something, because she made very little effort to place me - she got me only one interview with a prospective sponsor organization, one that she admitted was highly unlikely to take any fellows. She strung the whole process out over almost the whole summer - even when the program was supposed to start in August. Her attitude and treatment of me really colored my opinion of the whole organization, which up to that point I had been favorable impressed with.

Analyst Fellowship - More Info On GROUP INTERVIEW Interview

Analyst Fellowship - More Info On GROUP INTERVIEW
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

Interview Details – You can read about the initial Excel exercise and phone interview in previous reviews, THIS IS MORE INFO ON THE GROUP INTERVIEW ONLY.

I was presented with a case via email a few weeks before the group interview day. It was a school whose students are struggling with academic performance and they wanted to apply the "restart" program. You are given basic information such as budget, performance, and demographic of the school.

During group interview, I was presented with 3 options for which organization will restart the struggling school. I was also given 90 minutes to decided which organization is best to carry out the restart program and create a 5 minute presentation on my decision (one-on-one presentation with one of the staff members using my computer). They encourage creating graphs,charts, and models from the survey data that is given at the interview. Again, basic information such as student performance, history, budget, and demographics are provided for each option.

Afterwards, we were placed randomly into teams of 3 or 4 for 30 minutes to collectively make a decision on what option is best to carry out the restart program. We are supposed to create a 5 minute presentation to another group and allow 5 minutes for questions of our decision. A few staff members are present to observe how well you work in a team, make decisions collectively, contribute, etc.

The most difficult aspect was absorbing all the information, making a decision, and having data/graphs/charts to support your decision all in 90 minutes.

Interview Question – One-on-one questions: "What are some other factors that influenced your decision", "Please describe any holes in your analysis."   Answer Question

Graduate Student Fellow Interview

Graduate Student Fellow

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview Details – The interview process was extremely thorough. They definitely are looking for intelligent individuals that are passionate about education, yet have competitive skills. If you can hone in on your experiences with human capital, managing projects, developing solutions and/or managing data then you'll do fine.

Interview Question – Their interview process is somewhat tedious, but not too bad. The staff were all very warm and candid. The group interview was the most stressful of it all. You want to definitely make sure you shine, but in a graceful manner during the final leg.   Answer Question

Graduate Fellowship (NYC Cohort) Interview

Graduate Fellowship (NYC Cohort)
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2013.

Interview Details – Long process as other reviewers have mentioned: online app, 90min exercise, phone interview, references, group interview, summary form, and finally, offer.

The group interview process puts you in a group with what i believe are a mixed bag of professions: from lawyers to educators to MBA biz peeps, to PR folks. You will all have to work together on a project and present your "findings" as a group. A little awkward but a great experience.

Interview Question – Name me a time where you had to convince a group of people to go along with a plan when they did not want to. What did you do and how did the situation turn out? (paraphrasing).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation but they do ask you a series of questions about your work ethic and style in an effort to get you the best placement possible.

Analyst Fellowship Interview

Analyst Fellowship
San Francisco, CA

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Education Pioneers in May 2012.

Interview Details – After the initial online application and essay, I was invited to complete an excel exercise to measure data analysis skills. A week later, I completed a phone interview. The interview was straight and to the point; all behavioral questions looking for details on past projects, working with groups, and dealing with ambiguity. After the phone interview, a final group interview was scheduled in San Francisco. The interview consisted of 4 parts: Individual Excel Exercise , Individual Presentation , Group Presentation , Reflection. Education Pioneers staff observed during each phase, taking notes on our work and interactions. The interview last 4 hours and a reception with Alumni followed.

Overall, the interview process was thorough - in that, the excel exercises and presentations definitely tested the skills that would be necessary for the job. I was impressed with the caliber of candidates at the group interview - all from top notch institutions and companies.

Interview Questions

Oakland, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview Details – Initial application is an online form - standard resume, cover letter, why do you want to work for us, etc. If they like what you see, they send you a quantitative Excel exercise to complete in one hour. If they like that, you get invited to a group interview. The group interview is the nerve-wracking part. It's a multi hour process the includes individual work, group work, and one on one "scenarios" with others. I actually enjoyed it. Great experience, and they go out their way to try and make it not stressful (as much as it can be). Met some interesting people with surprisingly diverse backgrounds. After the group interview there's a happy hour sort of meet and mingle. Nice, but I do wish there had been more alumni there to talk to about their experience. This concludes the group portion. If you pass the group portion, there is a final phone interview. If you pass that, you're in. Overall I had a very positive experience, considering I didn't get the job. They make an effort to make it positive and answer any questions you have. My only complaint was that my geographic preference was cut, and they never really told me that I should re-select geographic preferences.

Interview Question – Questions widely vary, lots of quantitative ones, and lots looking to see your passion for education and your team player abilities. Nothing too crazy.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and then received the invitation to the Excel test, which I completely bombed and was not offered any follow-up interview after that...

While I'm sure many people applying for this position will not find the test difficult, I'll give you my background to help you understand the knowledge I brought and hopefully give you a clue as to whether you may find it difficult or not!

I was an English/Psych undergrad, so I took a social stats course and research methods. I also did undergrad research in social psych and used SPSS to analyze. That was three years ago when I applied, and none of my work experience to date utilized data analysis. In preparation, I did get most of the way through an online Excel course (filtered.com) which gave me a passing familiarity with many of the topics on the test. However, I knew the minute I opened the test that it was a doomed cause.

I did attend a reception for this position and was impressed with the people I met there (alums, other prospectives). I will add that they clearly state they are looking for diversity and did feel that being white would be a hindrance in this application. HOWEVER, this had nothing at all with why I didn't get it, I am sure, because my Excel skills were that bad!

Interview Question – questions concerning writing VBA and macros   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in May 2014.

Interview Details – The process is made up of 4 parts: Submit Resume, Quantitative Exercise, Behavioral Interview, and Group Interview. It allows you to slowly to decide whether you would like to take the job. It also gives you a great perspective about the company. I enjoyed meeting a lot of the people involved in the program, but ultimately decided not to take the job

Interview Question – Dissect data and come up with presentation and present it in 90 min   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didn't get the city that I wanted

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview Details – The process is long but pretty straightforward. Once you submit your resume, they advance you to the next round which is a case exercise. If you pass that round, you get a one-on-one interview (mine was over the phone). Once you pass that round, you do a group interview. This part was kinda weird. You are grouped with 6 or 7 other potential fellows and given a case to analyze. You need to be thoughtful and contribute in a meaningful way without being pushy. Collaborative and competitive. I personally thought the group interview was really uncomfortable.

Interview Question – As I said above, the group interview was really odd. I get why they do it, it was just the first time I had ever done something like that. They walk around while you are in the group and take notes on your comments. You never actually interact with an Ed Pioneer person one-to-one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation.

Graduate Fellowship Interview

Graduate Fellowship
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2014.

Interview Details – There were 4 steps to the application/interview process. First I filled out an online application. This application was review and I was advanced to the next step which was a skills/critical thinking exercise. Following the exercise, I had a telephone interview with an Ed Pioneers staff member. After the telephone interview, I participated in a group interview day.

The group interview wasn't really and interview at all. During the group interview, the interviewees were assigned a group of 5 members. All the groups were given a hypothetical situation which included a strategic problem. We were also given informational material ahead of time that would inform our decision making process. Using the reference materials provided, we had to come to a consensus around a solution to the strategic problem. After deciding on a solution we had to present our plan as a group in front of another team.

Interview Question – For me, the most difficult aspect of the process was coming to a consensus around a solution to our problem during the group interview. Our team members had varying perspectives and it took a lot of discussion to come to a shared solution. This left us with very little time to prepare a presentation. There was a miscommunication during our prep time, but it ended up not being disastrous.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, compensation is agreed to ahead of time.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Education Pioneers

Worked for Education Pioneers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Pioneers interview questions and advice. All 41 interview reviews posted anonymously by Education Pioneers employees and interview candidates.