Education Pioneers

41 candidate interviews

Analyst Fellow Interview

Analyst Fellow
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in May 2014.

Interview Details – The process is made up of 4 parts: Submit Resume, Quantitative Exercise, Behavioral Interview, and Group Interview. It allows you to slowly to decide whether you would like to take the job. It also gives you a great perspective about the company. I enjoyed meeting a lot of the people involved in the program, but ultimately decided not to take the job

Interview Question – Dissect data and come up with presentation and present it in 90 min   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didn't get the city that I wanted

Graduate Fellowship Interview

Graduate Fellowship
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2014.

Interview Details – There were 4 steps to the application/interview process. First I filled out an online application. This application was review and I was advanced to the next step which was a skills/critical thinking exercise. Following the exercise, I had a telephone interview with an Ed Pioneers staff member. After the telephone interview, I participated in a group interview day.

The group interview wasn't really and interview at all. During the group interview, the interviewees were assigned a group of 5 members. All the groups were given a hypothetical situation which included a strategic problem. We were also given informational material ahead of time that would inform our decision making process. Using the reference materials provided, we had to come to a consensus around a solution to the strategic problem. After deciding on a solution we had to present our plan as a group in front of another team.

Interview Question – For me, the most difficult aspect of the process was coming to a consensus around a solution to our problem during the group interview. Our team members had varying perspectives and it took a lot of discussion to come to a shared solution. This left us with very little time to prepare a presentation. There was a miscommunication during our prep time, but it ended up not being disastrous.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, compensation is agreed to ahead of time.

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and then received the invitation to the Excel test, which I completely bombed and was not offered any follow-up interview after that...

While I'm sure many people applying for this position will not find the test difficult, I'll give you my background to help you understand the knowledge I brought and hopefully give you a clue as to whether you may find it difficult or not!

I was an English/Psych undergrad, so I took a social stats course and research methods. I also did undergrad research in social psych and used SPSS to analyze. That was three years ago when I applied, and none of my work experience to date utilized data analysis. In preparation, I did get most of the way through an online Excel course (filtered.com) which gave me a passing familiarity with many of the topics on the test. However, I knew the minute I opened the test that it was a doomed cause.

I did attend a reception for this position and was impressed with the people I met there (alums, other prospectives). I will add that they clearly state they are looking for diversity and did feel that being white would be a hindrance in this application. HOWEVER, this had nothing at all with why I didn't get it, I am sure, because my Excel skills were that bad!

Interview Question – questions concerning writing VBA and macros   Answer Question

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview Details – The first round was just the online application. After passing that round, you are asked to complete a timed critical thinking exercise on line. My questions were surrounding how to help charter school leadership gain community engagement. Several facts about the school were given and you had to create a plan of action for going about getting the community involved in success of the students. After that round I had a group interview (some people do the in depth interview first). The group interview was about 2 hours long. We had decide on an organization to turn around a failing school and create a presentation to address how we came up with our recommendation given the information. Lastly, there was an in depth interview with an Ed Pioneers consultant.

Interview Question – In depth interview question: Speak about a professional situation in which you implemented structure where there was previously lots of ambiguity.   Answer Question

Summer Graduate Fellow Interview

Summer Graduate Fellow

Interviewed at Education Pioneers

Interview Details – The group interview process focuses on your leadership ability in a group and your interpersonal communication style as much as it focuses on your ability to come up with an action plan to solve the case. Make sure to reference the pre-readings in your discussion. Also, don't talk over others, be mindful of your audience. No one wants to work with someone overbearing or unaware of social courtesies.

Interview Question – Name an instance in which you faced a challenge with a co-worker. How did you respond to the situation?   Answer Question

Summer Graduate Fellow Interview

Summer Graduate Fellow
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2013.

Interview Details – I heard about the organization through an on-grounds recruiting presentation. The presentation was a bit disorganized. The application can be filled out online. There was an on-grounds individual interview and that was followed by a group interview process that took place in Washington DC. Once you are accepted, then you will receive a match and then you will interview with your placement organization as well.

Interview Question – The group interview process focuses on your leadership ability in a group and your interpersonal communication style as much as it focuses on your ability to come up with an action plan to solve the case. Make sure to reference the pre-readings in your discussion.   Answer Question

Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Graduate School Fellowship
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2014.

Interview Details – Pretty clear process - apply online, if they are interested they will follow up with a request for you to do an online critical thinking case study exercise. Then, a 30-60 min phone interview, then you may be selected for an in person group interview.

Interview Question – What was a solution or change your proposed, how was it received by your peers and what kind of impact did the change have (and how did you measure it)   Answer Question

Analyst Fellowship - More Info On GROUP INTERVIEW Interview

Analyst Fellowship - More Info On GROUP INTERVIEW
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in April 2014.

Interview Details – You can read about the initial Excel exercise and phone interview in previous reviews, THIS IS MORE INFO ON THE GROUP INTERVIEW ONLY.

I was presented with a case via email a few weeks before the group interview day. It was a school whose students are struggling with academic performance and they wanted to apply the "restart" program. You are given basic information such as budget, performance, and demographic of the school.

During group interview, I was presented with 3 options for which organization will restart the struggling school. I was also given 90 minutes to decided which organization is best to carry out the restart program and create a 5 minute presentation on my decision (one-on-one presentation with one of the staff members using my computer). They encourage creating graphs,charts, and models from the survey data that is given at the interview. Again, basic information such as student performance, history, budget, and demographics are provided for each option.

Afterwards, we were placed randomly into teams of 3 or 4 for 30 minutes to collectively make a decision on what option is best to carry out the restart program. We are supposed to create a 5 minute presentation to another group and allow 5 minutes for questions of our decision. A few staff members are present to observe how well you work in a team, make decisions collectively, contribute, etc.

The most difficult aspect was absorbing all the information, making a decision, and having data/graphs/charts to support your decision all in 90 minutes.

Interview Question – One-on-one questions: "What are some other factors that influenced your decision", "Please describe any holes in your analysis."   Answer Question

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in January 2014.

Interview Details – There was an online application, then an exercise, then a phone interview. I did not advance from the phone interview to the final interview. The questions were rather vague and did not ask about specifics. They wanted to know about my investment in working in education. I wondered if maybe it is possible to be TOO qualified for this job - I was a TFA alumni and had extensive experience working in education. They might want someone who is coming in from the outside, so to speak.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had difficulty working with another person   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Analyst Fellow Interview

Analyst Fellow
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in May 2012.

Interview Details – It was pretty intense - a preliminary application, then you were invited to a online test of sorts involving data analysis & manipulation in Excel, then if you passed that, you were invited for a phone interview. The finalists were then interviewed in competitive group half-day interviews, where about 20 candidates met at the same time to complete two steps. The first was an individual data analysis and presentation, and the second was working in a small group to put together a group presentation while you were being observed. It was intimidating beforehand, but during the group interview itself I actually enjoyed the challenge.

Interview Question – I think the hardest part for me was the online analysis in Excel, because it was timed and devoid of context. For the group interview, the task was placed in a case study context and it was clearer what the objective was, so I actually found that easier. I also just liked actually interacting with people in person not just following automated directions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was actually given a conditional offer, which I gladly accepted. When I got the offer, I was told it was very likely they would be able to find me a placement. Then the woman responsible for my placement (whom I had never met throughout the interview process) apparently didn't think me qualified or something, because she made very little effort to place me - she got me only one interview with a prospective sponsor organization, one that she admitted was highly unlikely to take any fellows. She strung the whole process out over almost the whole summer - even when the program was supposed to start in August. Her attitude and treatment of me really colored my opinion of the whole organization, which up to that point I had been favorable impressed with.

Worked for Education Pioneers? Contribute to the Community!