Education Pioneers Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial steps include submitting an online application and completing a data exercise. If selected, you'll participate in a phone interview and then if you advance to the final round, it will be a group interview. If given an offer, you move to the placement process where they try to match you with a partner organization and project.

Interview Questions

• When is a time you've dealt with an ambiguous situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Nashville, TN) in December 2013.

Interview

Writing prompt to assess your critical thinking/analytical/problem solving abilities, Phone, and then Group Interview. The writing prompt is sent though a link which is timed. Phone interview is with an alumni, and once you pass this stage you are called in to specific cities for the group interview.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: behavioral questions: tell me about a time when you led a team during a conflict or a challenge that you overcame?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The application process is lengthy and pretty much what others have described. It's long, detailed, and high-pressure. After accepting a conditional offer in mid-February, I didn't hear anything from my regional program director for over 2 months. After about 3 months, I went on one interview with a potential match. When that didn't work out, EP stopped contacting me. I'm incredibly disappointed. It's hard to place trust in a person who I've never met, and who sounds like she can't wait to get off the phone with me whenever we do talk, to determine the fate of my placement. Ultimately, I'm glad that continued to look elsewhere because EP seemed to have no interest in actually placing me.

Interview Questions

Education Pioneers Response

Jun 19, 2015 – Chief Administrative Officer

Hello, Thank you for participating in our placement process. We are sorry that we were unable to find the right match for you and that you are frustrated with your experience. We always want ... More

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

The initial application was a submission of resume and short answer action plan in response to a public school scenario. The phone interview was pretty low key and short, normal interview questions about why you are interested and career goals. Group day interview involved splitting into 5-6 person groups and working as a consulting team to help select a charter school company to take over a school, followed by a group presentation on the selection process and criteria. I was selected as a summer fellow, although after 2 months they said they didn't receive enough projects from partners and couldn't place me. This was frustrating because they also told us not to pursue other job opportunities once we were selected, though at the same time they said they couldn't guarantee placement. I spoke to multiple people who this happened to, so they need to work on their selection process.

Interview Questions

• The one critical question was near the end of the phone interview when they asked what questions you would ask if you're working on a project with a superintendent looking to implement a turn-around school.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Oakland, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There was a detailed online application, optional reception, several hours long Excel test, phone screen, and a several hours long in-person group interview (individual exercise, presentation, group exercise, presentation). This was followed by a 2h break and a 'mandatory reception.' THEN I was accepted into the placement process, and you have to re-do your resume and wait for a placement suggestion so you can go for an interview with an organization where you might actually work! I'm surprised there were no blood tests or tough mudder races. So yes, it was a long process, especially if you consider that this is for a 10 month fellowship that pays $45k. I'm 90 days in and haven't received a placement suggestion yet. The upside of all of this is that I learned a ton about education reform and met many current fellows, all of whom were generous in talking about their experience and giving advice. I believe that EP is a great opportunity for the right people--that is, someone a few years out of college who really wants to get into data-related education reform work and who doesn't have another avenue to do so.

Interview Questions

• What was one time when you had a difficult interpersonal situation at work, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

Three interview rounds. First was an online application, second was an excel exercise, and the third was a group interview day with several other applicants. The time limit for the in person case study passes really quickly so beware of the time.

Analyst Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview

Very involved multi-step hiring process including sample data analysis, phone interview, 1 on 1 interview, and group project/presentation. Succeeding in the interview process, however, does not guarantee you a position, which depends entirely on matching you with an interested partner organization.

Interview Questions

• Very standard set of interview questions and scenarios   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I completed an online application and phone screen for the fellowship. Shortly thereafter, I was selected to a group interview day. We worked in a small team and solved a business case in about 1 hour using pre reading material. An observer took notes on our presentation. I found out about 3 weeks later that I'd received a regional offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Education Pioneers (Boston, MA) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process with Education Pioneers for their Graduate School Fellowship was thoughtful, varied and multi-tiered -- the interview included phone, individual and group elements, and once accepted to the fellowship there was another round of phone interviews with the placement organization for the fellowship. Although the timing was extended, the experience was positive and facilitated well.

Interview Questions

• How do you approach problems when you are unfamiliar with the context or path to an answer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Education Pioneers (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. They followed up in a few days with an excel test. The test was on basic skills of organizing data in a file that they sent and then writing short answers to questions about what the data suggested, what recommendations you could make, etc. I found the excel test pretty straightforward but I would suggest brushing up on excel skills like making tables, graphs, etc. I also found that the excel test took me longer than the 90 minutes they referenced despite the fact that I've spent a lot of time on excel for work over the past 5 years. I don't know if perhaps I spent too long on answering the short answer questions or something else. Afterward, they contacted me to schedule a phone interview, which I scheduled online.