Education Pioneers

41 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Student Fellow Interview

Graduate Student Fellow

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview Details – The interview process was extremely thorough. They definitely are looking for intelligent individuals that are passionate about education, yet have competitive skills. If you can hone in on your experiences with human capital, managing projects, developing solutions and/or managing data then you'll do fine.

Interview Question – Their interview process is somewhat tedious, but not too bad. The staff were all very warm and candid. The group interview was the most stressful of it all. You want to definitely make sure you shine, but in a graceful manner during the final leg.   Answer Question

Summer Fellowship

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2012.

Interview Details – it is a multi-staged process, that includes an online resume assessment, a written application, and a group interview. with their emphasis on data analytic, it's no surprise that they are looking for people with good, solid quant experience. i made it to the group interview round, but did not get an offer.

but, in talking to friends who were extended offers, it seems like the main weakness is EP's job placement process. you definitely take a leap of faith that you will get a position somewhere. all of my friends who were extended offers went through at least a 6 week process of uncertainty. i have one friend who was hired as an 10 month analyst, but they ultimately weren't able to place him and he had to leave the process.

Interview Question – the group interview is definitely a chance to show how well you play with others.   Answer Question

Analyst Fellowship Interview

Analyst Fellowship
San Francisco, CA

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Education Pioneers in May 2012.

Interview Details – After the initial online application and essay, I was invited to complete an excel exercise to measure data analysis skills. A week later, I completed a phone interview. The interview was straight and to the point; all behavioral questions looking for details on past projects, working with groups, and dealing with ambiguity. After the phone interview, a final group interview was scheduled in San Francisco. The interview consisted of 4 parts: Individual Excel Exercise , Individual Presentation , Group Presentation , Reflection. Education Pioneers staff observed during each phase, taking notes on our work and interactions. The interview last 4 hours and a reception with Alumni followed.

Overall, the interview process was thorough - in that, the excel exercises and presentations definitely tested the skills that would be necessary for the job. I was impressed with the caliber of candidates at the group interview - all from top notch institutions and companies.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst Fellowship Interview

Analyst Fellowship
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Education Pioneers in March 2012.

Interview Details – The initial application for the Analyst Fellowship consists of an essay and a few questions, then two weeks later came an invite to take a 90-minute excel exercise, then another week later came an invite to participate in a n hour long phone interview, after the phone interview was the final round which was a Group Interview at an office in the San Francisco Bay Area. The groupinterview lasted four hours which consisted of a 90 minute Individual no talking excel exercise which led to a ten minute presentation then a regrouping with your fellow candidates to provide a group presentation based on your own findings from the excel exercise. Overall it was decent experience, but I was disappointed in the excel focus of the onsite interview.

The purpose of Education Pioneers is meaningful and good in mind, but there is a main flaw with the group that I was concerned with that kept me away... The administration and actual internal operations seems like it is really off track and in it for the wrong reasons; i was perplexed when a fellow candidate I met also received an offer, but had not delivered on the excel exercise or presentation, but who had went to an ivy league school. Seeing that happen, made me wonder what is actually needed and what kind of program it actually is.

Good luck but be careful with these guys!

Interview Question – How do you approach ambiguity?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online after a friend had recommended me to the program. The online application consisted of an essay (which you have one week to complete) and questions about previous experience. After passing on to the next round, I was called in for a one-on-one interview (approximately 45 minutes long) where the interviewers asked basic behavioral and experiential questions. A few weeks later I was invited to the all-day group interview where candidates were broken into groups and asked to work through a case together. The day focused on working as a team and establishing a common culture. A week later I was extended an offer.

Interview Question – Describe a time that you disagreed with a group decision.   Answer Question

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship Interview

Education Pioneer Graduate School Fellowship

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers.

Interview Details – I applied online and the following week I received an invitation to complete an online performance task. The performance task was a timed 90 minute case study analysis. After completing the task I was told that within the next three weeks they would contact me regarding my application. Two weeks later I received an invitation for a phone interview.

Interview Question – The online performance task is timed so that was somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

Interviewed at Education Pioneers

Interview Details – Interview was a pleasure. Very nice and professional people. Made me feel very comfortable

Interview Question – describe your work ethic in 3 words   Answer Question

Analyst Fellow Interview

Analyst Fellow

Interview Details – The interview process is, as described by others, fairly involved but straightforward. Excel exercise, phone interview, group interview.

The rest is a convoluted, ineffective mess. Your "conditional offer" is confined to a geographic region whether you care about location or not. This severely limits your chances of a successful match, and I can't fathom why they would handicap themselves this way. Next, you will wait for weeks, occasionally receiving friendly phone calls with no real information whatsoever. You can find interesting positions posted by partner organizations on LinkedIn or wherever, but EP will be unable to help you get those positions in any way.

I can see why my friend in finance snarked that EP smells like a refuge for former analysts that failed to make associate or partner.

Interview Question – How would you like to use this opportunity to shape your career?   Answer Question

Graduate School Fellow Interview

Graduate School Fellow

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview consisted predominantly of discussion around a single question -- "Tell me about a time that you implemented a change, and explain HOW YOU MEASURED the impact of that change."

Interview Question – Talk about a time that you implemented a change, and then -- more importantly -- explain HOW YOU MEASURED that change.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fixed summer stipend -- no negotiation.

Summer Fellowship

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Education Pioneers in February 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and the initial application online. For the summer fellowship if you are advanced to the next round you receive a link to complete a timed case study. The case study gives a brief scenario and lists 4-5 essay questions you have to answer. You only have about an hour and 45 min to finish the case study and submit it which was really tight for the exercise and given the word constraint on the essay (300-400 words). If you're applying for the summer fellowship or the year-long program you receive a case study. However, applicants to the analyst fellowship receive a time excel exercise. After submitting the case study about a week and a half later I received an email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasts an hour and focuses on behavioral questions from your past work experience. After the 1 on 1 interview I received an email less than a week later to attend the group interview. The group interview consisted of a group case study and presentation which culminated in a written exercise where you detailed how you felt the group process went and required that you outline your contributions and the challenges in your group. The group atmosphere was laid-back and not competitive in general. There is a mixer following the group interview that is supposed to include alumni, however, I didn't (neither did the other applicants I talked to) see any alumni at the mixer even though it was in a major city with a large alumni base. After the group interview I received an offer a week later.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you have to roll out a new process and garner support from your peers.   Answer Question