Educational Testing Service

Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern
Princeton, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Educational Testing Service in March 2014.

Interview Details – Regular phone interview by my future mentors. They asked me about the projects on my resume, and investigate the breadth and depth of my domain knowledge, and regular conversation on my current research topic and the progress.

Interview Question – just normal research questions which frequently emerges in my projects.   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

IT Intern

Interviewed at Educational Testing Service

Interview Details – Standard over the phone interview asking questions specific to the job title

Interview Question – No questions were unexpected.   Answer Question

TOEFLiBT Rater Interview

TOEFLiBT Rater

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Educational Testing Service.

Interview Details – There is no interview. The hiring process is done entirely online - ETS will send you documents to digitally read and sign, and you will have to pass a certification test after reading/watching a tutorial. You will then have a guided/mentored scoring session, where your work will be closely monitored and you will be carefully advised. Every four hours of every shift you will also have to calibrate, a little five-question check to make sure that you're aware of the parameters of different scores, and you are subject to random checks throughout your shifts, just to make sure that you keep scoring accurately, and your superiors will provide feedback to keep you on track. The inital phase of hiring does take quite some time, though - they take their sweet time sending out and verifying documents.

Interview Question – The first time you score is pretty stressful, especially since you feel like, if you get it wrong, you won't pass certification and will lose the job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I didn't even know what my salary would be until I was already working for them. It's all very opaque.

Assessment Specialist Interview

Assessment Specialist
San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Educational Testing Service.

Interview Details – HR (known as SWS here) is part of the interview process even though most of those people have no clue what the day-to-day job entails. The hiring process is not always fair and depends a lot on personal gut reactions and minutia.

Interview Question – There weren't any.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was like "take it or leave it," and I needed the job.

IT Intern Interview

IT Intern
Princeton, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Educational Testing Service in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through a special program at my school. Was contacted by phone for an interview a few weeks later. It was a pretty relaxed interview, spoke with the internship coordinator, and then two departments that were interested in me. All fit/behavioral type questions, going over my resume. Everyone was very nice.

Interview Question – I think one was something like "Can you describe a time when you had a problem during group work." Can't really remember.   Answer Question

Project Administrator Interview

Project Administrator
Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Educational Testing Service.

Interview Details – Received email invite to interview. Was sent an interview schedule via email. Met with HR and then a 3 person panel.

Interview Question – What do you do with ambiguity?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Educational Testing Service.

Interview Details – Standard phone screening and in person interview with hiring manager. Typical process.

Interview Question – Didn't really have one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate much

Very Easy Interview

TOEFLiBT Rater Interview

TOEFLiBT Rater
Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Educational Testing Service in July 2013.

Interview Details – Easy hiring process - send resume and qualifications

Assessment Specialist I Interview

Assessment Specialist I

I applied online and interviewed at Educational Testing Service.

Interview Details – Applied to job online, waited about 2 weeks for an interview. Met with HR rep and took basic skills test first, then met with panel. Pretty straight forward.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Test Creation Specialist Interview

Test Creation Specialist
Princeton, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Educational Testing Service in July 2009.

Interview Details – Hired through J&J Temp Services. Worked as a "temp" for 1 year before I was asked to become full time. I worked for 6 years in Operations before applying for Test Creation Specialist in which I was interviewed by HR, and then a follow up interview with the Hiring Manager.

Interview Question – Provide the most trying or difficult experience you have delt with in your professional career and explain how you handled it. From beginning to end - it what way(s) did you grow from this experience?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Professional yet dragged out a bit too long.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Educational Testing Service

Worked for Educational Testing Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Educational Testing Service interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by Educational Testing Service employees and interview candidates.