Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Oct 21, 2014

3.3

202 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

Too regimentated and methodical. No room for ambiguity in the process. If you don't have a sterling and impeccable U4/U5 as a former advisor, you are stymied in the process at the outset (during the background check by Compliance after the initial phone screening). The interview process (and, I presume, the job itself) is glorified boot camp with no room for individuality or creative expression. You become an Edward Jones boot camp enrollee.

Other Interview Reviews for Edward Jones

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones.

The process is as most everyone has described and very similar to what EJ (Edward Jones) tell you it will be. Normally takes 30-45 days to complete. Be forewarned that after your initial phone screening with the recruiter they will start the background check process and call your current employer to verify employment.

Look, if you want a place to hang your hat and spend your career making the lowest $$$ in the financial services industry, EJ is the place to go. If you want to actually make good $$$ and be your own boss and own your books and get a big payout when you retire, don't go to EJ.

Interview Questions
    • There are no difficult questions. They are all read from a script. Everyone I interviewed with was horrible at interviewing.   View Answer

Pay is crap. You must drink a lot of the green EJ Kool-Aid to survive.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Edward Jones.

The interview process was extensive (lasted 2 months for me) . I went through 2 phone screens before I had a formal interview, then I did the business plan and survey, after that another phone screen, then they declined to proceed. They were extremely nice and had even started to talk about locations I was interested in working, but nothing came out of it in the end. The most disappointing thing is they won't tell you why they stop interviewing you.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you?
      What sets you apart from others?
      Tell me about a situation...?
        Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

interviewed at Edward Jones in September 2014.

Online application and background check, followed by a phone screen and then invitation to participate in standard interview. In addition you have to develop a business plan and present that during your interview process. Once you have successfully completed these items you will have the opportunity to move onto training, etc.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones.

The hiring process is long. They will tell you that it takes 40 days on average and they aren't making that up. You start by submitting your resume, you will then be invited to apply, phone screen, interview in person, do a business plan, do a phone interview and finally do a virtual day in the life. You can wash out at any point along the way and you will know you washed out before they tell you. If the person you are dealing with is warm and friendly, you're good. If not, you didn't make it. If you can't tell how you did, you didn't make it.

Interview Questions
    • The business plan can be tricky if you've never done one before. Work with a veteran FA if you have one available.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in August 2014.

Initial phone screening, in-person interview, business plan, business plan review, day in the life. Very intense and they obviously want to weed out anyone that isn't totally committed to being a FA.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example in your life when you continually ran into road blocks but eventually accomplished what you wanted to accomplish?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones.

- Submit resume/qualifications for HR review - Online
    - Phone interview with HR - Usually an HR recruiter from HQ in Saint Louis will call/email to schedule a phone interview.
    - Face-to-face interview with a Financial Advisor - An FA in your local market will conduct the interview.
    - Business Activity Plan - Candidates are given a week to complete/answer a business plan.
    - Computer assessment (4 hours) - The candidate will act out the role of a financial advisor during a 4 hour simulation. The assessment is online and phone based with no actual face-to-face.

Interview Questions
    • BUSINESS PLAN:

Describe your vision for building your practice at Edward Jones. How do you plan to add value to the clients and communities you will serve?

To identify and approach these prospective client types, what actions will you take?

Please detail the prospective types of clients you believe will allow you to build your business to fulfill your vision.

How will you turn these prospective clients into Edward Jones clients, especially if they have been or are considering doing business with others?

How will you track your performance to evaluate your progress towards meeting these performance expectations?
        View Answer
    Base salary is based on previous employment compensation.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones.

Made it all the way to the day-in-the-life assessment and was completely taken aback by the outdated computer system and how I was just expected to know what to do. They give you no instruction and kind of just throw you out to the sharks on that one, which I didn't agree with. I don't believe it showcased my abilities at all and mainly just confused me. Many of the numbers I was given to call didn't even work either! So there was a good 15-20 minutes of my time wasted calling bad numbers and calling the help-desk to fix the problem. Everyone I dealt with in the interview process was excellent though and very personable (FA, recruiters, TA staff). Seems like a great company to work for but I have my reservations based on a few things I saw. They invited me to re-apply with them again in a year, but I'm on the fence if I will or not now.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions listed on this board are helpful. Study them and use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones.

Went through the nine step interview process. Had spoken to a local Edward Jones Financial Advisor from within and the process was smooth and no issues that I could think of. Application, resume,phone interview,in-person interview, completing a business plan and assessment were done. It took about 45 days to go through the interviewing process. It's based on your own time schedule. Talent Acquisition Manager was very helpful and encouraging as well as other key people in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • typical interview questions using the S.T.A.R. Method "Tell me about a time" "Why did you choose Edward Jones?" The Assessment was interesting. But was able to get through it. Just relax and be yourself is what they will tell you.   View Answer
    Non- negotiable. Salary was based on the last two years of my w-2'd income. Youe are given incentives while you study for the exam and you are paid to study. Just bring whatever transferable skills you have with you and plug them in. Be ready to work hard.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

The process was fairly easy. I applied online and got a response right away. Everyone is very friendly and professional. I had a misscommunication through the process but it was quickly fixed and with no issues. It was very comfortable to talk to everyone and I did not feel uncomfortable at any moment.

Interview Questions
    • There have not been any difficult questions. They go over your work hisotry and your accomplishments. The only question that caught me off guard was, "How can you explain a difdficult subject to a regular person". The question is not hard to answer, I was just not expecting them to ask me that. Overall, the questions usually involve "situational" scenarios, so be prepared to answer "what would you do" or how would you do" type of questions   Answer Question

Although I applied for the postion, it was not really what I was looking for. I just went through the process for the experience and as a "just in case"