Edward Jones

189 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

DeKalb, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process is long and detailed. The reason for this is that once they commit to someone, they spend a significant amount of money, time, and resources into training them. This is almost unheard of in the financial industry where they basically hire everyone and throw a phone book at them and say "figure it out". Attrition is significantly lower than the industry average. The point I am making with all of that is the the interview process is tough. It starts with a phone screen, then a phone interview, then you have to go out and find 25 leads to make sire that you can actually do our form of prospecting, then after that you have a face to face interview with a partner at their office. Finally you need to create a business plan and the last step is " a day in the life". This is where you spend a half day doing a simulation of a typical day in a financial advisors life. This is a test to see how you handle managing outgoing phone calls with incoming calls, how you delegate roles to your assistant, how you do in pitches, etc. They then go and give you a grade on every step of your interview process and weight them based on importance. So you can see how extensove this is/ my recommendation is to not be scared off by it. If you can pass,you know that you are with a company committed to your success.

Interview Question – As a partner, I own part of the form. It costs 180k to train you and get your office up and running. Why should I as a partner invest in you?   View Answer

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Made it all the way to the day-in-the-life assessment and was completely taken aback by the outdated computer system and how I was just expected to know what to do. They give you no instruction and kind of just throw you out to the sharks on that one, which I didn't agree with. I don't believe it showcased my abilities at all and mainly just confused me. Many of the numbers I was given to call didn't even work either! So there was a good 15-20 minutes of my time wasted calling bad numbers and calling the help-desk to fix the problem. Everyone I dealt with in the interview process was excellent though and very personable (FA, recruiters, TA staff). Seems like a great company to work for but I have my reservations based on a few things I saw. They invited me to re-apply with them again in a year, but I'm on the fence if I will or not now.

Interview Question – All of the questions listed on this board are helpful. Study them and use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Chico, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

Interview Details – I responded to an Edward Jones job posting on glassdoor. With a sales background in building relationships and using consultative selling, this seemed to be a great fit doing something new and exciting. Ed Jones received high marks from a few different publications. The hiring process is long and tedious with phone interviews, face to face interviews, a lengthy business plan, and a "Day In The Life" assessment. A total of 10 steps as well as a background and credit check. Make sure this is not the only company you are interviewing with....

You may do very well with the first nine steps as well as turn in a 20 page business plan like I did, and be praised for it, only to have the actor you role play with in the "Day In The Life" assessment who may in fact may just be an intern in college. In short, be prepared to spend hours, days, weeks and a couple of months trying to land this job which you may or may not get in step 10.

Interview Question – The repeated questions from the actor and role player in the "Day In The Life" assessment which are as follows: so tell me why you want to be a FA with Edward Jones. Tell me how you will build your practice. How and where do you see yourself in the future. How would you handle a complaint about your BOA - Business Office Administrative Assistant?? These were all asked during the interview process and I did very well and was complimented for my answers.

However, the actor did not seem to have done his homework or reviewed what I had submitted and even admitted he did not have time to read my business plan which was one task assigned during the "DITL" assessment. I did my homework for six weeks.
  View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

Interview Details – There was only one phone interview. I applied online. From there on it was a lengthy process. I thought my chances of getting the job were slim, so I had the temptation to quit. In the end I decided that it would be a great learning experience to improve my interview skills, so I continued the application process. I recieved an e-mail that I landed a phone interview. I did the phone interview and got an e-mail that I had been hired. In the phone interview they asked me where I would like to be located for the summer. This is excited but if you want to save your money on rent, I would choose your home location. In addition to that it is extremely difficult to find an apartment that will rent month-to-month.

Interview Question – Tell me what Edward Jones does.   Answer Question

Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Went through the nine step interview process. Had spoken to a local Edward Jones Financial Advisor from within and the process was smooth and no issues that I could think of. Application, resume,phone interview,in-person interview, completing a business plan and assessment were done. It took about 45 days to go through the interviewing process. It's based on your own time schedule. Talent Acquisition Manager was very helpful and encouraging as well as other key people in the hiring process.

Interview Question – typical interview questions using the S.T.A.R. Method "Tell me about a time" "Why did you choose Edward Jones?" The Assessment was interesting. But was able to get through it. Just relax and be yourself is what they will tell you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non- negotiable. Salary was based on the last two years of my w-2'd income. Youe are given incentives while you study for the exam and you are paid to study. Just bring whatever transferable skills you have with you and plug them in. Be ready to work hard.

Financial Advisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process is was pretty time consuming. You have a phone interview, a face-to-face with an existing FA, another phone interview, write a business plan, go door-knocking, and have the notorious "day in the life" where you role play being an FA by making cold calls, a sales call, and deal with BOA shenanigans. I was recruited by the regional leader for my area, so had a bit of coaching to get through the process. The whole thing, from application submission to offer took about 30 days. You are definitely driving the process, and they are judging you on how driven you are through it. They want you to be self-reflective and persistent, especially with the day in the life. They are trying to give an accurate picture of what you will really be doing in the position.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you sought feedback on your performance and what did you do with that information; tell me about a time you uncovered a client need and exceeded client expectations. Be prepared with your STARs (situation/task, action, results)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted their offer as is, and from what I heard from other people, the same as what people who made what I did at my last job who tried to negotiate more.

Financial Advisor

I applied online - interviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

Interview Details – The first step for this interview was to do their very easy application. After the application process, I had a call from a local Edward Jones Financial Advisor. He called me to give me to me information on the background of the company and background on the financial advisor role. Then, I had the phone interview. The phone interview was very simple. They wanted you to walk you through your work and educational background and they had about three behavioral questions.

Interview Question – What were the biggest challenge you had to overcome?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – I applied on a Friday and received a call the following Monday to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. The phone interview was simple and relaxed, she mostly explained the job, asked a couple of previous job experience questions and then about three behavioral questions. At the end of the call she set up my next interview.

Step 2 is a face to face interview with a local FA. This was the best part of the interview process. The FA I interviewed with has been doing this for 30 years, he is very successful and made me very excited about the job. However, at the same time he was VERY honest about the hard work and dedication it takes to be successful. He was very up front about working 60 hour weeks the first year and about the dedication it takes to meet the amount of people you must to be successful. He asked about 6-8 behavioral questions, I can't remember exact number. My recruiter called me the next day to give me the info on the next step.

Step 3 is the survey and business plan. I made about 15 quality contacts on my survey. This is a good eye opener about what it is like to approach strangers in their homes and businesses. Once I submitted it to my recruiter she set up the next interview.

Step 4 is the phone interview with the Talent Acquisition Manager. He was friendly but to the point and seemed rushed. We discussed my business plan and survey. He asked about 3 behavioral questions and then he really emphasized what it takes to do this job. He really wanted to make sure I understood the hours and hard work, and that I was up for the challenge. He then set up the final step the Day in the Life of a FA assessment for the following week.

Step 5 is the Day in the Life of Assessment. This was the hardest part of the process and I was sure I failed, but I actually did very well. My only advice is don't let the actors you call get to you. They will all question why I should work with you and I don't know anything about you or your business. Just keep making calls, you may not know at all what you are talking about but just make the calls. Respond to emails and complete all other task. You will get some info before hand be sure to prepare for the client presentation, it will help with other phone conversations as well!! I believe the whole point of this is to see how well you do under stress, so just keep making those calls and don't let the actors get to you.

I received a phone call the next day with a job offer!

Interview Question – Sample behavioral question. Tell me about a time a coworker or client was relying on you to make a quick decision… about a time when you went above and beyond for a client… about a time you did not get along with a coworker.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I am going in under the FORCES program so it is set pay. If you are a veteran, reservist or guardsman, or have an advanced degree with no experience check out the FORCES program.

Very Difficult Interview

Nashville, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in September 2013.

Interview Details – 1st Phone interview. 2nd Door knocking in community. 3rd (2nd phone interview). 4th in-person interview. 5th day-in-the-life (mock day) as an advisor (4hrs). This is a fairly in-depth process.

Interview Question – day-in-the-life   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Base $30k salary or 50% of current income

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Long process of phone interviews, face to face interviews, and a "day in the life" assessment that lasts 4 hours. It was a long process and the "day in the life" assessment was difficult because you are juggling a lot of different situations. Everyone I dealt with was very professional and thorough!

Interview Question – How did you deal with someone you were leading that did not buy into your plan of action?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – In the process of deciding!

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!