Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

3.3

196 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

The process was fairly easy. I applied online and got a response right away. Everyone is very friendly and professional. I had a misscommunication through the process but it was quickly fixed and with no issues. It was very comfortable to talk to everyone and I did not feel uncomfortable at any moment.

Interview Questions
  • There have not been any difficult questions. They go over your work hisotry and your accomplishments. The only question that caught me off guard was, "How can you explain a difdficult subject to a regular person". The question is not hard to answer, I was just not expecting them to ask me that. Overall, the questions usually involve "situational" scenarios, so be prepared to answer "what would you do" or how would you do" type of questions   Answer Question

Although I applied for the postion, it was not really what I was looking for. I just went through the process for the experience and as a "just in case"

Other Interview Reviews for Edward Jones

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in August 2014.

Initial phone screening, in-person interview, business plan, business plan review, day in the life. Very intense and they obviously want to weed out anyone that isn't totally committed to being a FA.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example in your life when you continually ran into road blocks but eventually accomplished what you wanted to accomplish?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

The interview process was long first was a phone interview not unusual about the phone interview. Then their was One on One interview with a Financial Ad visor that went well. Then there was a 4 hour day in the life training I thought I did well but did not receive and offer. I do not think it was time wasted but I do believe that it is to long. Working for 4 hours and not receiving any compensation for that time is not too nice. Problem is I have no clue what I did wrong but something happened at the end. I hear it's a great company to work for if you can get through the interview process.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

The hiring process is long. They will tell you that it takes 40 days on average and they aren't making that up. You start by submitting your resume, you will then be invited to apply, phone screen, interview in person, do a business plan, do a phone interview and finally do a virtual day in the life. You can wash out at any point along the way and you will know you washed out before they tell you. If the person you are dealing with is warm and friendly, you're good. If not, you didn't make it. If you can't tell how you did, you didn't make it.

Interview Questions
    • The business plan can be tricky if you've never done one before. Work with a veteran FA if you have one available.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

really lengthy interview process, includes a session where you have to knock on doors...ridiculous. You have a pre interview then an interview, than the door knock thing, then a phone interview then a final interview.

Interview Questions
    • They made you knock on peoples doors to ask about opening a business in the area, it was hard because it was a fake scenario.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

- Submit resume/qualifications for HR review - Online
    - Phone interview with HR - Usually an HR recruiter from HQ in Saint Louis will call/email to schedule a phone interview.
    - Face-to-face interview with a Financial Advisor - An FA in your local market will conduct the interview.
    - Business Activity Plan - Candidates are given a week to complete/answer a business plan.
    - Computer assessment (4 hours) - The candidate will act out the role of a financial advisor during a 4 hour simulation. The assessment is online and phone based with no actual face-to-face.

Interview Questions
    • BUSINESS PLAN:

Describe your vision for building your practice at Edward Jones. How do you plan to add value to the clients and communities you will serve?

To identify and approach these prospective client types, what actions will you take?

Please detail the prospective types of clients you believe will allow you to build your business to fulfill your vision.

How will you turn these prospective clients into Edward Jones clients, especially if they have been or are considering doing business with others?

How will you track your performance to evaluate your progress towards meeting these performance expectations?
        View Answer
    Base salary is based on previous employment compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  DeKalb, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeKalb, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in March 2010.

The interview process is long and detailed. The reason for this is that once they commit to someone, they spend a significant amount of money, time, and resources into training them. This is almost unheard of in the financial industry where they basically hire everyone and throw a phone book at them and say "figure it out". Attrition is significantly lower than the industry average. The point I am making with all of that is the the interview process is tough. It starts with a phone screen, then a phone interview, then you have to go out and find 25 leads to make sire that you can actually do our form of prospecting, then after that you have a face to face interview with a partner at their office. Finally you need to create a business plan and the last step is " a day in the life". This is where you spend a half day doing a simulation of a typical day in a financial advisors life. This is a test to see how you handle managing outgoing phone calls with incoming calls, how you delegate roles to your assistant, how you do in pitches, etc. They then go and give you a grade on every step of your interview process and weight them based on importance. So you can see how extensove this is/ my recommendation is to not be scared off by it. If you can pass,you know that you are with a company committed to your success.

Interview Questions
    • As a partner, I own part of the form. It costs 180k to train you and get your office up and running. Why should I as a partner invest in you?   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Made it all the way to the day-in-the-life assessment and was completely taken aback by the outdated computer system and how I was just expected to know what to do. They give you no instruction and kind of just throw you out to the sharks on that one, which I didn't agree with. I don't believe it showcased my abilities at all and mainly just confused me. Many of the numbers I was given to call didn't even work either! So there was a good 15-20 minutes of my time wasted calling bad numbers and calling the help-desk to fix the problem. Everyone I dealt with in the interview process was excellent though and very personable (FA, recruiters, TA staff). Seems like a great company to work for but I have my reservations based on a few things I saw. They invited me to re-apply with them again in a year, but I'm on the fence if I will or not now.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions listed on this board are helpful. Study them and use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chico, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

I responded to an Edward Jones job posting on glassdoor. With a sales background in building relationships and using consultative selling, this seemed to be a great fit doing something new and exciting. Ed Jones received high marks from a few different publications. The hiring process is long and tedious with phone interviews, face to face interviews, a lengthy business plan, and a "Day In The Life" assessment. A total of 10 steps as well as a background and credit check. Make sure this is not the only company you are interviewing with....

You may do very well with the first nine steps as well as turn in a 20 page business plan like I did, and be praised for it, only to have the actor you role play with in the "Day In The Life" assessment who may in fact may just be an intern in college. In short, be prepared to spend hours, days, weeks and a couple of months trying to land this job which you may or may not get in step 10.

Interview Questions
    • The repeated questions from the actor and role player in the "Day In The Life" assessment which are as follows: so tell me why you want to be a FA with Edward Jones. Tell me how you will build your practice. How and where do you see yourself in the future. How would you handle a complaint about your BOA - Business Office Administrative Assistant?? These were all asked during the interview process and I did very well and was complimented for my answers.

However, the actor did not seem to have done his homework or reviewed what I had submitted and even admitted he did not have time to read my business plan which was one task assigned during the "DITL" assessment. I did my homework for six weeks.
        View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

There was only one phone interview. I applied online. From there on it was a lengthy process. I thought my chances of getting the job were slim, so I had the temptation to quit. In the end I decided that it would be a great learning experience to improve my interview skills, so I continued the application process. I recieved an e-mail that I landed a phone interview. I did the phone interview and got an e-mail that I had been hired. In the phone interview they asked me where I would like to be located for the summer. This is excited but if you want to save your money on rent, I would choose your home location. In addition to that it is extremely difficult to find an apartment that will rent month-to-month.

Interview Questions

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!