Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

3.3

200 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Edward Jones.

The interview process was extensive (lasted 2 months for me) . I went through 2 phone screens before I had a formal interview, then I did the business plan and survey, after that another phone screen, then they declined to proceed. They were extremely nice and had even started to talk about locations I was interested in working, but nothing came out of it in the end. The most disappointing thing is they won't tell you why they stop interviewing you.

Interview Questions
  • Why should we hire you?
    What sets you apart from others?
    Tell me about a situation...?
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Edward Jones

Financial Advisor Interview

interviewed at Edward Jones in September 2014.

Online application and background check, followed by a phone screen and then invitation to participate in standard interview. In addition you have to develop a business plan and present that during your interview process. Once you have successfully completed these items you will have the opportunity to move onto training, etc.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

The hiring process is long. They will tell you that it takes 40 days on average and they aren't making that up. You start by submitting your resume, you will then be invited to apply, phone screen, interview in person, do a business plan, do a phone interview and finally do a virtual day in the life. You can wash out at any point along the way and you will know you washed out before they tell you. If the person you are dealing with is warm and friendly, you're good. If not, you didn't make it. If you can't tell how you did, you didn't make it.

Interview Questions
    • The business plan can be tricky if you've never done one before. Work with a veteran FA if you have one available.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in August 2014.

Initial phone screening, in-person interview, business plan, business plan review, day in the life. Very intense and they obviously want to weed out anyone that isn't totally committed to being a FA.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example in your life when you continually ran into road blocks but eventually accomplished what you wanted to accomplish?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

- Submit resume/qualifications for HR review - Online
    - Phone interview with HR - Usually an HR recruiter from HQ in Saint Louis will call/email to schedule a phone interview.
    - Face-to-face interview with a Financial Advisor - An FA in your local market will conduct the interview.
    - Business Activity Plan - Candidates are given a week to complete/answer a business plan.
    - Computer assessment (4 hours) - The candidate will act out the role of a financial advisor during a 4 hour simulation. The assessment is online and phone based with no actual face-to-face.

Interview Questions
    • BUSINESS PLAN:

Describe your vision for building your practice at Edward Jones. How do you plan to add value to the clients and communities you will serve?

To identify and approach these prospective client types, what actions will you take?

Please detail the prospective types of clients you believe will allow you to build your business to fulfill your vision.

How will you turn these prospective clients into Edward Jones clients, especially if they have been or are considering doing business with others?

How will you track your performance to evaluate your progress towards meeting these performance expectations?
        View Answer
    Base salary is based on previous employment compensation.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Made it all the way to the day-in-the-life assessment and was completely taken aback by the outdated computer system and how I was just expected to know what to do. They give you no instruction and kind of just throw you out to the sharks on that one, which I didn't agree with. I don't believe it showcased my abilities at all and mainly just confused me. Many of the numbers I was given to call didn't even work either! So there was a good 15-20 minutes of my time wasted calling bad numbers and calling the help-desk to fix the problem. Everyone I dealt with in the interview process was excellent though and very personable (FA, recruiters, TA staff). Seems like a great company to work for but I have my reservations based on a few things I saw. They invited me to re-apply with them again in a year, but I'm on the fence if I will or not now.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions listed on this board are helpful. Study them and use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Went through the nine step interview process. Had spoken to a local Edward Jones Financial Advisor from within and the process was smooth and no issues that I could think of. Application, resume,phone interview,in-person interview, completing a business plan and assessment were done. It took about 45 days to go through the interviewing process. It's based on your own time schedule. Talent Acquisition Manager was very helpful and encouraging as well as other key people in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • typical interview questions using the S.T.A.R. Method "Tell me about a time" "Why did you choose Edward Jones?" The Assessment was interesting. But was able to get through it. Just relax and be yourself is what they will tell you.   View Answer
    Non- negotiable. Salary was based on the last two years of my w-2'd income. Youe are given incentives while you study for the exam and you are paid to study. Just bring whatever transferable skills you have with you and plug them in. Be ready to work hard.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

The process was fairly easy. I applied online and got a response right away. Everyone is very friendly and professional. I had a misscommunication through the process but it was quickly fixed and with no issues. It was very comfortable to talk to everyone and I did not feel uncomfortable at any moment.

Interview Questions
    • There have not been any difficult questions. They go over your work hisotry and your accomplishments. The only question that caught me off guard was, "How can you explain a difdficult subject to a regular person". The question is not hard to answer, I was just not expecting them to ask me that. Overall, the questions usually involve "situational" scenarios, so be prepared to answer "what would you do" or how would you do" type of questions   Answer Question

Although I applied for the postion, it was not really what I was looking for. I just went through the process for the experience and as a "just in case"

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

The interview process was long first was a phone interview not unusual about the phone interview. Then their was One on One interview with a Financial Ad visor that went well. Then there was a 4 hour day in the life training I thought I did well but did not receive and offer. I do not think it was time wasted but I do believe that it is to long. Working for 4 hours and not receiving any compensation for that time is not too nice. Problem is I have no clue what I did wrong but something happened at the end. I hear it's a great company to work for if you can get through the interview process.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

I applied on a Friday and received a call the following Monday to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. The phone interview was simple and relaxed, she mostly explained the job, asked a couple of previous job experience questions and then about three behavioral questions. At the end of the call she set up my next interview.

Step 2 is a face to face interview with a local FA. This was the best part of the interview process. The FA I interviewed with has been doing this for 30 years, he is very successful and made me very excited about the job. However, at the same time he was VERY honest about the hard work and dedication it takes to be successful. He was very up front about working 60 hour weeks the first year and about the dedication it takes to meet the amount of people you must to be successful. He asked about 6-8 behavioral questions, I can't remember exact number. My recruiter called me the next day to give me the info on the next step.

Step 3 is the survey and business plan. I made about 15 quality contacts on my survey. This is a good eye opener about what it is like to approach strangers in their homes and businesses. Once I submitted it to my recruiter she set up the next interview.

Step 4 is the phone interview with the Talent Acquisition Manager. He was friendly but to the point and seemed rushed. We discussed my business plan and survey. He asked about 3 behavioral questions and then he really emphasized what it takes to do this job. He really wanted to make sure I understood the hours and hard work, and that I was up for the challenge. He then set up the final step the Day in the Life of a FA assessment for the following week.

Step 5 is the Day in the Life of Assessment. This was the hardest part of the process and I was sure I failed, but I actually did very well. My only advice is don't let the actors you call get to you. They will all question why I should work with you and I don't know anything about you or your business. Just keep making calls, you may not know at all what you are talking about but just make the calls. Respond to emails and complete all other task. You will get some info before hand be sure to prepare for the client presentation, it will help with other phone conversations as well!! I believe the whole point of this is to see how well you do under stress, so just keep making those calls and don't let the actors get to you.

I received a phone call the next day with a job offer!

Interview Questions
    • Sample behavioral question. Tell me about a time a coworker or client was relying on you to make a quick decision… about a time when you went above and beyond for a client… about a time you did not get along with a coworker.   Answer Question
    I am going in under the FORCES program so it is set pay. If you are a veteran, reservist or guardsman, or have an advanced degree with no experience check out the FORCES program.

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!