Edward Jones

Getting the Interview

173 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

Interview Details – When deciding to transition to another career, I used glassdoor explicitly to see how employees felt about their employers. I found that Edward Jones gets high praise not only from the employees, but also the employees' family members. That was a big deal to me.

As I started to read the interview process for Edward Jones it became clear that it was going to be a long and daunting task. I saw some reviews say 6 weeks, while others said 3 months. For me, personally, from start to finish it took me 9 weeks. Here are some suggestions I would like to make for people who are considering this company.

1. No other company will make you feel the kind of support you need during the interview process. Yes, it is long and you have to go through several phone calls, one face to face, and one half day role playing scenario. It can seem endless but nobody in my experience was looking for reasons to not hire me. Once they determined if I would be a quality person with good ethics (FBI background checks) then the people who interviewed me made me feel like a number one draft pick. Incredible feeling and it was worth my time.

2. I didn't have any background experience with the financial industry. Don't talk about things you don't know. If you don't already have a series 7, then I assure you, they don't want to hear what stocks you pick in your personal portfolio. This job, although I hate to use the words, is a sales job and they want to know how much Assets Under Management (AUM) you can bring to the company. If you already have friends and family that can get you AUM, then you don't have the pressure for those of us that do not. If you don't have those people in your back pocket, then your interview should be something like you love meeting knew people, you are not afraid of rejection, and your motivation will get you through all the "No's" you are going to hear. My mentor now at the firm says, "We don't manage money. We manage people."

3. It has been said in the past reviews but I would say it again, during the day in a life phase of the interview process you need to call as many people as you can. I called about 20 in my 4 hour time frame and I did not solicit one business. I wasn't good at it. They don't expect you to be. They tried to push my buttons and my emotions but I wrote down on a piece of paper "Thank you for your time and have a good evening." Click. Done. It isn't that bad. But a lot of people go through the entire process of 4 and 5 interviews and then fail because they are afraid to make the call. The calls are professional actors. Maybe that helps you like it did me. Real people, maybe some, but not a lot will react the way they did. I think most people are reasonable, and they were not! haha.

I hope this post helps. I got hired a month ago and they are paying me to study for my exams. I take it in two weeks! If you get this far, you will either study at home or at a branch office. I am at a branch office so I get to see the daily life of a FA. It looks to be worth my time. A few obstacles in the first 2 years because of the learning curve but definitely looks and feels like a great place to work. #4 in Forbes!!

Interview Question – I don't know why this was unexpected to me, but all the face to face questions were "tell me about a time..." They didn't want to know in theory. They wanted a specific time, place, and people and the situation. To be honest, I didn't do very stellar in any of my interviews. I never do. But just be honest and humble and I believe anyone will make it through the interview phase if they try. Good luck!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they offered a percentage of my previous salary during the study phase and a substantial pay increase once I pass and get a "Can Sell" date, which every trainee strives for.

Plano, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Edward Jones in March 2010.

Interview Details – Very lengthy interview process, couple phone screen interviews, then a project where you have to meet 20+ people, then a day in the life of a financial advisor. Just cause you get an Interview with Jones does not mean you will get a job offer. Most people fail the last interview.

Interview Question – You have to go out and knock on doors during the interview phase, without pay. Most people are blown away by this, then there is the mock day as an FA, very challenging, you need to make a lot of calls or you will fail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very easy

Rockville, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Edward Jones in February 2014.

Interview Details – Very long process

Interview Question – Basic intervie questions. A time you didnt suceed at something and how you handled it?   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Started with a current FA recommendation. From there to another local FA and 2 phone interviews with a hiring representative. Had to do the business plan and the door to door. The last interview was with a HR manager. Was simplistic to a fault and communication between interviewers was poor. The local FAs I dealt with were great but the last interview with the Talent Acquisition manager was very unprofessional and rude.

Interview Question – All questions were the generic interview questions. At all phases of interview I was asked the same questions.   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – 10 step interview process

Interview Question – If you were explaining a difficult process to someone, how would you know if he or she understood you and how would you show to him or her?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New Hartford, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Edward Jones in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interesting Process- went through numerous steps- but couldn't really abide by the 1 year of going door to door before they will provide support or an office

Interview Question – None really- all typical questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Door to Door introductions everyday for 1 year

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – I went to the initial interview and it was held in my university. Their interview process is long and initial interview was straightforward

Interview Question – what is your weakness and strength?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Edward Jones puts candidates through an extensive month-2 month hiring process. This process consists of a few phone interviews, background checks, survey activity and business plan, and a 4-hour "Day in the Life" assessment. Edward Jones does a great job in evaluating candidates and they do not hire just anyone. Phone interviews are typical while the survey activity and business plan are in depth and really give you a good idea of how life as an advisor is. Lastly, is the "Day in the Life" assessment and it is pretty intense. Prioritizing is huge in the assessment. I thought I didn't do well but received an offer the next day. This is a great career opportunity with a great company, you just have to make sure this is what you want to do.

Interview Question – Easily the Day in the Life assessment. Felt very real.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Offer is firm.

Very Difficult Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Edward Jones in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was very long and complex. Mine lasted about three months, but it is all laid out very clearly ahead of time. I learned a lot from the process, but be sure to be yourself and be friendly throughout the whole thing. Persistence is key. The last segment of the interview process was a brutal four hour simulation, but you really get a feel for what it's like working for this company on the rough days. Work hard and show that you're worth investing in for the lengthy training process and you'll be fine.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was by far the four hour "day in the life" simulation, which ended up having an extra interview after it. Everything before it was a piece of cake, and you really have to show that you're worth investing in to make it through. It will be a high stress environment, so be prepared for that. It's also a really good point to make sure that you are actually cut out for the job. It's not for everyone, and you have to be incredibly ambitious and persistent to make it anywhere.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will not negotiate with you on anything. Their offer is final, but I must admit, for a new employee with little experience in the field, it was a very good offer.

Financial Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – I Was Hired Before The Process Even Began. Basically If You Know Someone Who Has Money With Them Or You Come Recommended, It's Easy From There.

Negotiation Details – None

Interviews for Top Jobs at Edward Jones

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!

Edward Jones Videos

Edward Jones – Why Work for Us?

A More Personal Approach to Success You know the financial services industry, but you may not know Edward Jones. We are a unique industry leader known for our more personal approach to business. From locating… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edward Jones Financial Advisor interview questions and advice. All 173 interview reviews posted anonymously by Edward Jones employees and interview candidates.