Edward Jones

Updated Nov 25, 2014

3.3

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones.

The worst part of the process was being "forced" to knock on doors in my neighborhood for five hours by gathering names and phone numbers of my contacts. I should have never agree to this since how do I know they simply used this to pass the list to a hired adviser? This is simply very unprofessional and potential candidates should request some type of compensation for this process that ONLY serves Edward Jones since the candidate is never compensated. I may report this to a state labor commission on the ethics of this part of the process.

To add to the distastefulness of this "activity", I waited two weeks for an answer on whether I was to move forward. Tired of waiting for an answer, I finally called the coordinator who informed me that I did not pass the "office simulation?" Office simulation???? After numerous years running my own successful sales office, they fail me on office simulation? Then I asked what answers or any reason for the failed result only to be given an answer, "I cannot tell you anything".

This is absolutely insane and I felt soooooo used! They just dragged me through the mud, got some names/phone numbers of my neighbors, then cannot tell me WHY I did not pass office simulation????

What a joke!!! I thought this company prided itself on ethical and professional behavior. Does this sound like ethical and professional behavior?

Trust me, I'm highly qualified both in education, track record, and work background for this position, yet I was rejected on the basis of Office simulation???

The whole experience was a huge waste of my time and the experience painted a VERY immoral view of EJ. Never again!!!

Interview Questions
  • Office simulation? And they can't tell you what you need to improve??? I believe this is quite wrong in every sense of the word.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Edward Jones

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones.

long grueling process that will challenge you. I have never been though such a long process. It will challenge you but it is necessary to weed out those with the real desire to do this job. Everyone is welcoming and positive. I have never met people so focused on achieving. I really felt challenged and wanted the job even more.

Interview Questions
    • Day In the life- this is toughest exercise I have everbeenthrough   Answer Question
    no negotiation. I had a successful business so i was offered top of starting range

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

I applied online for a local greet and meet at another FA's office. Met 3 veteran FA's and they bought a nice dinner. Get to know them and ask a lot of questions about the job, the struggles of getting clients and anything else that comes to mind. Also gave 2 of them my resume which they submitted to corp recruiter. I then was invited to fill out a lengthy online application to start the process. Next was a very generic phone interview with a junior recruiter, lasting about an hour. Behavioral questions mostly in the STARS format. She also reveiled a lot about the company, position, hours and compensation. Next was a in person interview with a veteran FA at his office. My interviewer had been in the business 14+ years and managed over $100 million in assets. He made some good coin! Very in depth what if questions and work history, etc. I think I had an advantage as I am 50 years old and have owned multiple businesses and been both in national and regional sales management positions. Your life experiences will help you a great deal in the interview process. Next came the business plan. Be as detailed as you can and don't skip over this. I stacked my hand with this as I went to visit at least 6 local FA's and asked pointed questions to get help with the business plan. I felt that up until then, EJ had not given me enough in the way of expectations to fill out the business plan well. All the local FA's were VERY helpful. Actually, I have never met so MANY people in an organization that have been so nice. Then I got an invite to another phone interview with a lead recruiter and we went over the business plan and a few other things from my background. Lastly was the famous virtual Day in the Life of an FA. Didn't really know what to expect. Read as many reviews on here as I could. They give you some pre test materials to learn about IRAs. Memeorize it, be able to talk about it, it helps with the test. After a short 15 minute video training on the upcoming day, the sh*t really hits the fan! You are bombarded with emails, meeting requests, your BOA needs some time off, it is over whelming upfront! And I was currently working in this type of environment and I was taken back as to the overwhelming feeling of it all. This is the BEST testing I have ever seen for time management, multi tasking, interpersonal skills, sales skills and mental focus. The people you call are actors and some of them are there to rattle you and discourage you. This is not a one call close, so remember that and try to get them to agree to let you send them something or stop by and talk. You have to ask for it! There was a mid day review of your "month" at the firm. I was required to fill out a recap which I clipped and pasted a lot from my business plan. but you could easily spend hours on the recap in prep for your "boss" calling you to review. (Time mgt here). I had 2 seperate lists of "leads" that I tried to get through during slow times, which there are not many. You have to manage your time regarding the meeting with your boss, the appointments on your schedule, calling prospects, putting follow up items on your calendar and adding info to the CRM program. I don't think I am giving away any secrets here because if you can't or don't do all these things in your life now, I don't see how you will get through this test. There is a short re-cap after the test with your "boss". They didn't tell me how I did, but they were very nice, which lead me to believe I did good. I ended up getting to talk to or leave messages to 20 prospects. I felt that was a good number, but wished I had done more. Afterwards, I was completely exhausted. It was very intense and the time flew by! I got a call a couple of business days later with the offer from the lead recruiter. It took me a few more days to get everything completed as they go back through 10 years of employment and one of the companies I worked for is out of business and gone! Luckily I am a pack rat and had some old W2's.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to convince someone to your position or idea and you knew they were opposed to it upfront.   Answer Question
    No negoitations, based on previous income. Be prepared, it is a fraction of what you made before.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

(Day 1) Having created a very dense curriculum vitae from my previous employer and graduate school, I was easily able to submit my application for initial review.

(Day 3) Two days later I was contacted via email and invited to submit the initial application which includes very specific and highly detailed summaries of current/past employers, salaries, residences, and education history.

(Day 4) I was promptly contacted over the phone by my Talent Acquisition Specialist who helped me verify and edit any information on the application that was entered incorrectly. This is a very important aspect of the application process as all new Registered Representatives wishing to sit for the Series 7 Licensing Exam must have athorough FBI background check.

(~ Day 7) I was contacted again to conduct my first phone interview.

(~Day 10) I had my first phone interview which asks many questions about how you handle professional situations and asks questions about your specific goals and desires for autonomy

(~Day 14) I had my first face-to-face interview with a veteran FA from Edward Jones. The content of the interview was very similar to the phone interview, and I made sure to have very specific and broad-based questions ready for the FA at the end of the interview. I feel that this interview was two-part: 1) To make sure your professional appearance, posture, and demeanorwas suitable to being a FInancial Advisor (i.e. Dark Suit, White or Blue shirt, Striped Red, Blue or Yellow tie, no facial hair, Confident body language, etc.), and 2) To make sure your story matches up and that you are ready to build a business

(~Day 16) I was asked to complete a Business Plan which gives you an opportunity to construct a daily and monthly plan for your performance and how you intend to build your "book of business". I contacted a local Edward Jones FA to help me supplement what I was unable to find online from the Edward Jones website

(~Day 20) I submitted my Business Plan and was almost immediately contacted to correct several errors in regards to my projected revenues, accounts, etc. to bring them to standard. And I was also asked to set up a time to talk with the REgional Recruiter to discuss my plan and make sure I understood what is meant by "Door-knocking" and that this will consititute nearly 100% of my days until year 2-3.

(~Day 24) I spoke very candidly with the Regional Recruiter, voicing my enthusiasm, concerns, and making sure to acknowledge any reccomendations he had. I was then invited to take part in the "Day-in-the-Life" Assessment.

(~Day 28) I successfully passed the Day-in-the-Lief Assessment which is a grueling 4 hour process that ultimately tests your ability to prioritize under extreme pressure. Nothing more can be said there.

(~Day 30) I was extended an offer to be brought on as an FA trainee to study and sit for the Series 7 and Series 66 LicensingExams.

I felt extremely supported throughout the hiring process and the best advise I can give is to be humble, as this job will humble you. Ask for help and advise from your TalentAcquisition Specialist and get to know them on a personla basis, as it is all part of the hiring process.

I feel extremely blessed to have been given the opportunity to engage in a career with an excellent work/life balance that rewards you for your time and effort and helps clients prepare for what is quite possibly the most anxiety-inducing stage of their life - retirement

Interview Questions
    • These questions are STAR questions, that require you to provide a Situation that pertains to the question, the specific Task you were given that pertains to the question, the Actions you took to complete the task, and the Results of your actions.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Your slary is based on the greater of either 50% of your current/prior salary or $30,000. However, most FAs stand to make between $10K-$15K in bonuses and $10K - $15K in commissions beginning in the year after their Training period which lasts for 17 weeks.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

The hiring process is very in depth and multi facet, takes at least 30 days. I had a mentor who helped me through the process. .which was great...Once you get hired, you are on your own with the self study and test...

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to persuade someone to do something that the didn't want to do...
        View Answer
    Commission pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

As discussed in other posts, the process is about 8 steps. Application, phone interview, 1 on 1 interview, business plan, recruiter interview, background check, and the infamous Virtual "Day-in-the-Life" Assessment where they give you 8-hours of work to do in 4-hours with actors who throw all kinds of BS at you. After all that, the recruiter and/or talent acquisition guys didn't even call me to give feedback. I just got a VM message from my EJ FA expressing disappointment that there would be no offer. WTF?

Interview Questions
    • During the assessment -- cold calling and being put on 'hold' indefinitely, having a transactional problem and not knowing the policy to handle it, a flighty, fruit-loop administrator, super slow moving platform for email, calendar, documents, etc.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones.

Got phone call, met with one advisor, then got a phone call for follow-up interview. Was told to get 25 contacts by knocking on doors and bring them to the interview. Interview was easy, you interview with another financial advisor, as long as you complete the exercise you should get the job.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in March 2014.

I don't have much to add. As others have said, the process takes a long time and has a lot of steps, 10 steps I think. I made it to the virtual day in the life assessment, which is where I got cut, so I wanted to give advice about that. Please look in Most Difficult or Unexpected Question.

Interview Questions
    • The virtual day in the life assessment. You log in and have clients, email and lead lists, all fictional of course. This is the final step before notification.   View Answer

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

It was long. I had 3 or 4 different phone interviews and 2 face to face interviews. They are very thorough and ask many questions involving my prior experiences and situational experiences. Had to quickly recall some situations where I had to problem solve or give excellent customer service. Just be prepared for these types of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you went above and beyond the call of duty at your last position.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

Applied through an email online and emailed back and forth within a weeks time to see if I was the right fit. From there I went to a phone screening which was very easy, just character questions and how I handled situations. Probably 4-5 weeks later I received an offer for a summer trainee job.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was very easy. Only character questions and wanting to know more about you and how you handled situations and past experiences you have had.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate my offer, but I was able to name the location on where I wanted to work.