Edward Jones Financial Advisor Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Orange, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

First there is a phone interview that lasts about an hour. Next is an in person interview at an advisor's office. It is pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, but then you get a chance to ask questions. They are adamant that you go door to door at least in the beginning and have target numbers of contacts that need to be made each day. They will also ask for wage verification (W2) to establish your base pay for the first couple years. They move you through the process very quickly.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you went above and beyond the call of duty   Answer Question
  • tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer   Answer Question

I didn't like the aspect of going door to door. It obviously works for them, they are a successful company, it just wasn't something I am comfortable with.

Other Interview Reviews for Edward Jones

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Irvine, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Tedious. Through the ringer. Intrusive. And in the end, they offer a small hourly. To go through weeks and weeks of that to keep you in suspense was a waste of time on all. They say it's needed to find the right candidate. But to me it's an exercise to turn off many too. Good thing was that I had an alternate company in case EJ didn't make an offer. It really shows they make lots of money investing on such a lengthy staged interview yet in one of the conversations I had with an FA they have high attrition rates on the second year of the candidates employment due to commissions starts to get stripped. Anyway good luck. Moving on. Do remember that EJ is captive means you'll never own your book of business. That to me too was a turn off because you could be awarded an office but if it doesn't work, you lose all the business production there and start from zero again elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• 1099s W2s All life and work experiences have to be accurate   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Interview

Do not quit your current job to work for this company.I gave up a good job to work for Edward Jones only to be fired during the training process. This is why they can boast about a 90% success in training, you get fired before you even get to take test

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perry, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Perry, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process was redundant with 4 interviews before the final step which is a 4 hour simulation. A lot of non-value added activity. People are generally pleasant. After listening to the dialog about how hard it is to make it I was wondering why I was there. If you want that kind of challenge join the Marines, not Edward Jones.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle no?   1 Answer
    • Develop a completely useless business plan.   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Edward Jones in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via email to set up the phone interview. I was then emailed information about the FA training program. The phone interview consisted of behavioral questions based on STAR.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

I got an invite for phone screening. They ask about your past work experience and ask about some work related situations. Next step after that would be 1 on 1 interview in the branch.

Interview Questions

• Describe your biggest business achievement so far in your life.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

The worst part of the process was being "forced" to knock on doors in my neighborhood for five hours by gathering names and phone numbers of my contacts. I should have never agree to this since how do I know they simply used this to pass the list to a hired adviser? This is simply very unprofessional and potential candidates should request some type of compensation for this process that ONLY serves Edward Jones since the candidate is never compensated. I may report this to a state labor commission on the ethics of this part of the process. To add to the distastefulness of this "activity", I waited two weeks for an answer on whether I was to move forward. Tired of waiting for an answer, I finally called the coordinator who informed me that I did not pass the "office simulation?" Office simulation???? After numerous years running my own successful sales office, they fail me on office simulation? Then I asked what answers or any reason for the failed result only to be given an answer, "I cannot tell you anything". This is absolutely insane and I felt soooooo used! They just dragged me through the mud, got some names/phone numbers of my neighbors, then cannot tell me WHY I did not pass office simulation???? What a joke!!! I thought this company prided itself on ethical and professional behavior. Does this sound like ethical and professional behavior? Trust me, I'm highly qualified both in education, track record, and work background for this position, yet I was rejected on the basis of Office simulation??? The whole experience was a huge waste of my time and the experience painted a VERY immoral view of EJ. Never again!!!

Interview Questions

• Office simulation? And they can't tell you what you need to improve??? I believe this is quite wrong in every sense of the word.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Denver, CO) in October 2014.

Interview

Spoke with an HR rep from their corporate office. Very nice, not a difficult interview but it seems to me they push sales talent much more than financial knowledge. They were completely uninterested in the fact I was an MBA student with prior financial background and were more so proud of the fact they hire anyone and teach them how to be an advisor. I suppose it may be a good company but that was a major turn off for me.

Interview Questions

Wanted me to leave school or re apply when I graduated

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online for a local greet and meet at another FA's office. Met 3 veteran FA's and they bought a nice dinner. Get to know them and ask a lot of questions about the job, the struggles of getting clients and anything else that comes to mind. Also gave 2 of them my resume which they submitted to corp recruiter. I then was invited to fill out a lengthy online application to start the process. Next was a very generic phone interview with a junior recruiter, lasting about an hour. Behavioral questions mostly in the STARS format. She also reveiled a lot about the company, position, hours and compensation. Next was a in person interview with a veteran FA at his office. My interviewer had been in the business 14+ years and managed over $100 million in assets. He made some good coin! Very in depth what if questions and work history, etc. I think I had an advantage as I am 50 years old and have owned multiple businesses and been both in national and regional sales management positions. Your life experiences will help you a great deal in the interview process. Next came the business plan. Be as detailed as you can and don't skip over this. I stacked my hand with this as I went to visit at least 6 local FA's and asked pointed questions to get help with the business plan. I felt that up until then, EJ had not given me enough in the way of expectations to fill out the business plan well. All the local FA's were VERY helpful. Actually, I have never met so MANY people in an organization that have been so nice. Then I got an invite to another phone interview with a lead recruiter and we went over the business plan and a few other things from my background. Lastly was the famous virtual Day in the Life of an FA. Didn't really know what to expect. Read as many reviews on here as I could. They give you some pre test materials to learn about IRAs. Memeorize it, be able to talk about it, it helps with the test. After a short 15 minute video training on the upcoming day, the sh*t really hits the fan! You are bombarded with emails, meeting requests, your BOA needs some time off, it is over whelming upfront! And I was currently working in this type of environment and I was taken back as to the overwhelming feeling of it all. This is the BEST testing I have ever seen for time management, multi tasking, interpersonal skills, sales skills and mental focus. The people you call are actors and some of them are there to rattle you and discourage you. This is not a one call close, so remember that and try to get them to agree to let you send them something or stop by and talk. You have to ask for it! There was a mid day review of your "month" at the firm. I was required to fill out a recap which I clipped and pasted a lot from my business plan. but you could easily spend hours on the recap in prep for your "boss" calling you to review. (Time mgt here). I had 2 seperate lists of "leads" that I tried to get through during slow times, which there are not many. You have to manage your time regarding the meeting with your boss, the appointments on your schedule, calling prospects, putting follow up items on your calendar and adding info to the CRM program. I don't think I am giving away any secrets here because if you can't or don't do all these things in your life now, I don't see how you will get through this test. There is a short re-cap after the test with your "boss". They didn't tell me how I did, but they were very nice, which lead me to believe I did good. I ended up getting to talk to or leave messages to 20 prospects. I felt that was a good number, but wished I had done more. Afterwards, I was completely exhausted. It was very intense and the time flew by! I got a call a couple of business days later with the offer from the lead recruiter. It took me a few more days to get everything completed as they go back through 10 years of employment and one of the companies I worked for is out of business and gone! Luckily I am a pack rat and had some old W2's.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to convince someone to your position or idea and you knew they were opposed to it upfront.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negoitations, based on previous income. Be prepared, it is a fraction of what you made before.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Durham, NC).

Interview

long grueling process that will challenge you. I have never been though such a long process. It will challenge you but it is necessary to weed out those with the real desire to do this job. Everyone is welcoming and positive. I have never met people so focused on achieving. I really felt challenged and wanted the job even more.

Interview Questions

• Day In the life- this is toughest exercise I have everbeenthrough   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation. I had a successful business so i was offered top of starting range