Edward Jones Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.2

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

Typical behavior based questions done by the manager first. Technical experts from that area do the interviews next. Each session is approximately thirty minutes or so. Some of the questions were repeated. If you are good at what you do, interview process should work out okay.

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

The interview process was long and difficult, but I can appreciate the fact they don't accept just anyone from the street. They stuck exactly to the process outlined on their website: Phone Screen, Face to Face Interview, Business Plan, Phone Interview, Day In The Life exercise, Selection. The phone screen was simply conversational... no stress at all. The face to face was a great experience since the FA I met with was very nice and answered all my questions without sugar coating anything. Just a day or two later I was given the business plan to fill out. I took this time to sit down with a couple FAs in the area to discuss the stuff the recruiters won't tell you. They were great to speak with and gave me some help for the business plan. As for the business plan, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. They just want to make sure your head is screwed on straight. The only thing they really ask about are your numbers and your daily schedule. Other than that the interviewer asked the same questions the phone screener and the FA asked. The day in the life exercise, as I am sure you have read, is intense and can get a little stressful. Don't worry too much about it. Just have fun and be yourself. Seriously... don't over think this. Some people on here make it sound way crazier than it is. Work hard for 4 hours and you'll be fine. The last step was the decision. They gave me a call and said I did well and presented their offer. That was that! My overall experience was positive... mainly because I worked really hard and was given an offer. The whole process took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Normal behavioral interview questions using the STAR method.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

There plenty of questions regarding your application information. Must be able to substanciate and expand on your information. Be ready with dates and reasons on the transitions of previous positions. Be ready with your goals and aspirations. Be enthusiastic and follow instructions closely.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

Typical interview questions, but they really want to you to feel special that they hired you but you really aren't. I had to prove my ability by knocking on doors and getting 20 peoples names addresses and phone numbers to show that I could knock on doors. If you can do that, and want to do it at least 3 days per week for the next 10 years, you can make it there.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Orange, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

First there is a phone interview that lasts about an hour. Next is an in person interview at an advisor's office. It is pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, but then you get a chance to ask questions. They are adamant that you go door to door at least in the beginning and have target numbers of contacts that need to be made each day. They will also ask for wage verification (W2) to establish your base pay for the first couple years. They move you through the process very quickly.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you went above and beyond the call of duty   Answer Question
    • tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer   Answer Question

I didn't like the aspect of going door to door. It obviously works for them, they are a successful company, it just wasn't something I am comfortable with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Lengthy, People were nice and kind willing to help many steps to go through Some advice....? Be yourself! have some original ideas and do not waste too much time on the business plan because nobody reads it! they asked me on the second interview things that I wrote in the business plan. i said where in the business plan they should look and they still didn't know what i was talking about. i had to specify the page number and the row for them to find what they were looking for (and that was after they allegedly red it).

Interview Questions

• how do you see yourself in 10 years   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I went through the long online survey process after I had sent in my resume. Even though I was applying for an entry level position, the questions were frankly absurd. After the phone call, I was asked questions regarding my college education and how I was prepared to be a financial advisor. The interview had very basic questions about what I would do in a situation with an unsatisfied client, for example.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 and 10 years professional and personally?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montclair, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Montclair, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

The process moves along quickly after your application Is completed and resume submitted. A recruiter reviewed my resume and invited me to a phone interview within 48 hours. You have eight days to accept the invitation and schedule the phone interview with a local recruiter. I asked for an extension and scheduled the interview within 10 days. The interview consisted of four questions related to past work experience, your interest in Edward Jones specifically, your work related interests in general, and some "how did you handle" questions. The recruiter also described the training pipelines and starting salaries for transitioning military members and civilian Financial Advisors. Military can expect a 6 month training timeline, self-study for your license in a local EJ advisor's office, $65k first year salary plus eligible for a bonus, but not eligible for commissions. Civilian training pipeline is a little shorter, first year salary is 50% of the average of your last two years salary plus commission and bonus. You are also expected to make eight sold contacts by "prospecting" for clients. To Edward Jones this primarily means going door-to-door. Within two hours of completing the interview with the recruiter I was send an invitation to conduct a face-to-face interview with a local senior FA. You are asked to set up the interview with that the FA within 48 hours and report back to the recruiter when the interview is scheduled. After thinking about the position over the weekend I decided to withdraw from the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your responsibilities during the last five years of work and describe an accomplishment you are proud of.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to explain a difficult concept. How did you go about explaining it and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

The main contributor to my withdrawal from the interview process was the door-to-door sales aspect of the position.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

The process has changed since I started, but expect to have a phone interview. Easy questions about yourself. Then you will go for a in person interview. Followed by the simulation. During the four hour assessment make suer you make your calls and answer the emails. What ever you do, do not miss the scheduled appointments. You will not make it pass this stage if you forget!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. You get the base that is offered.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Edward Jones (Fort Worth, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

It had about 7 seven stages and was very in depth. There was also a role playing excercise that served as the final stage. You really have to be passionate about the role to go through the entire interview process because it is a lot and there are a lot of back ground checks.