Edward Jones Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.2

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

(Day 1) Having created a very dense curriculum vitae from my previous employer and graduate school, I was easily able to submit my application for initial review.

(Day 3) Two days later I was contacted via email and invited to submit the initial application which includes very specific and highly detailed summaries of current/past employers, salaries, residences, and education history.

(Day 4) I was promptly contacted over the phone by my Talent Acquisition Specialist who helped me verify and edit any information on the application that was entered incorrectly. This is a very important aspect of the application process as all new Registered Representatives wishing to sit for the Series 7 Licensing Exam must have athorough FBI background check.

(~ Day 7) I was contacted again to conduct my first phone interview.

(~Day 10) I had my first phone interview which asks many questions about how you handle professional situations and asks questions about your specific goals and desires for autonomy

(~Day 14) I had my first face-to-face interview with a veteran FA from Edward Jones. The content of the interview was very similar to the phone interview, and I made sure to have very specific and broad-based questions ready for the FA at the end of the interview. I feel that this interview was two-part: 1) To make sure your professional appearance, posture, and demeanorwas suitable to being a FInancial Advisor (i.e. Dark Suit, White or Blue shirt, Striped Red, Blue or Yellow tie, no facial hair, Confident body language, etc.), and 2) To make sure your story matches up and that you are ready to build a business

(~Day 16) I was asked to complete a Business Plan which gives you an opportunity to construct a daily and monthly plan for your performance and how you intend to build your "book of business". I contacted a local Edward Jones FA to help me supplement what I was unable to find online from the Edward Jones website

(~Day 20) I submitted my Business Plan and was almost immediately contacted to correct several errors in regards to my projected revenues, accounts, etc. to bring them to standard. And I was also asked to set up a time to talk with the REgional Recruiter to discuss my plan and make sure I understood what is meant by "Door-knocking" and that this will consititute nearly 100% of my days until year 2-3.

(~Day 24) I spoke very candidly with the Regional Recruiter, voicing my enthusiasm, concerns, and making sure to acknowledge any reccomendations he had. I was then invited to take part in the "Day-in-the-Life" Assessment.

(~Day 28) I successfully passed the Day-in-the-Lief Assessment which is a grueling 4 hour process that ultimately tests your ability to prioritize under extreme pressure. Nothing more can be said there.

(~Day 30) I was extended an offer to be brought on as an FA trainee to study and sit for the Series 7 and Series 66 LicensingExams.

I felt extremely supported throughout the hiring process and the best advise I can give is to be humble, as this job will humble you. Ask for help and advise from your TalentAcquisition Specialist and get to know them on a personla basis, as it is all part of the hiring process.

I feel extremely blessed to have been given the opportunity to engage in a career with an excellent work/life balance that rewards you for your time and effort and helps clients prepare for what is quite possibly the most anxiety-inducing stage of their life - retirement

Interview Questions
    • These questions are STAR questions, that require you to provide a Situation that pertains to the question, the specific Task you were given that pertains to the question, the Actions you took to complete the task, and the Results of your actions.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Your slary is based on the greater of either 50% of your current/prior salary or $30,000. However, most FAs stand to make between $10K-$15K in bonuses and $10K - $15K in commissions beginning in the year after their Training period which lasts for 17 weeks.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Edward Jones.

The interview process was extensive (lasted 2 months for me) . I went through 2 phone screens before I had a formal interview, then I did the business plan and survey, after that another phone screen, then they declined to proceed. They were extremely nice and had even started to talk about locations I was interested in working, but nothing came out of it in the end. The most disappointing thing is they won't tell you why they stop interviewing you.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you?
      What sets you apart from others?
      Tell me about a situation...?
        Answer Question

Interview Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

The process takes about 6 months. If you come off as intelligent or overly qualified there is actually a good chance you won't get hired. The reason is that they know you will use them as a stepping stone and jump ship to a competitor that will pay you better and have a better reputation. Just act like you are willing to knock on doors and do what they say and you will be okay.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we spend $100,000 to hire you?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

The process was fairly easy. I applied online and got a response right away. Everyone is very friendly and professional. I had a misscommunication through the process but it was quickly fixed and with no issues. It was very comfortable to talk to everyone and I did not feel uncomfortable at any moment.

Interview Questions
    • There have not been any difficult questions. They go over your work hisotry and your accomplishments. The only question that caught me off guard was, "How can you explain a difdficult subject to a regular person". The question is not hard to answer, I was just not expecting them to ask me that. Overall, the questions usually involve "situational" scenarios, so be prepared to answer "what would you do" or how would you do" type of questions   Answer Question

Although I applied for the postion, it was not really what I was looking for. I just went through the process for the experience and as a "just in case"

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in August 2014.

Initial phone screening, in-person interview, business plan, business plan review, day in the life. Very intense and they obviously want to weed out anyone that isn't totally committed to being a FA.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example in your life when you continually ran into road blocks but eventually accomplished what you wanted to accomplish?   Answer Question

Edward Jones Financial Advisor Interview

The interview process has been moving right along. Everyone is very friendly and seems to love their job. Be prepared. Read and research as much as you can about Edward Jones. Talk to as many FA's as you can. Be committed to getting this job and know that you will be working very very hard.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you didnt suceed at something and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

The interview process was long first was a phone interview not unusual about the phone interview. Then their was One on One interview with a Financial Ad visor that went well. Then there was a 4 hour day in the life training I thought I did well but did not receive and offer. I do not think it was time wasted but I do believe that it is to long. Working for 4 hours and not receiving any compensation for that time is not too nice. Problem is I have no clue what I did wrong but something happened at the end. I hear it's a great company to work for if you can get through the interview process.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

I applied online for a local greet and meet at another FA's office. Met 3 veteran FA's and they bought a nice dinner. Get to know them and ask a lot of questions about the job, the struggles of getting clients and anything else that comes to mind. Also gave 2 of them my resume which they submitted to corp recruiter. I then was invited to fill out a lengthy online application to start the process. Next was a very generic phone interview with a junior recruiter, lasting about an hour. Behavioral questions mostly in the STARS format. She also reveiled a lot about the company, position, hours and compensation. Next was a in person interview with a veteran FA at his office. My interviewer had been in the business 14+ years and managed over $100 million in assets. He made some good coin! Very in depth what if questions and work history, etc. I think I had an advantage as I am 50 years old and have owned multiple businesses and been both in national and regional sales management positions. Your life experiences will help you a great deal in the interview process. Next came the business plan. Be as detailed as you can and don't skip over this. I stacked my hand with this as I went to visit at least 6 local FA's and asked pointed questions to get help with the business plan. I felt that up until then, EJ had not given me enough in the way of expectations to fill out the business plan well. All the local FA's were VERY helpful. Actually, I have never met so MANY people in an organization that have been so nice. Then I got an invite to another phone interview with a lead recruiter and we went over the business plan and a few other things from my background. Lastly was the famous virtual Day in the Life of an FA. Didn't really know what to expect. Read as many reviews on here as I could. They give you some pre test materials to learn about IRAs. Memeorize it, be able to talk about it, it helps with the test. After a short 15 minute video training on the upcoming day, the sh*t really hits the fan! You are bombarded with emails, meeting requests, your BOA needs some time off, it is over whelming upfront! And I was currently working in this type of environment and I was taken back as to the overwhelming feeling of it all. This is the BEST testing I have ever seen for time management, multi tasking, interpersonal skills, sales skills and mental focus. The people you call are actors and some of them are there to rattle you and discourage you. This is not a one call close, so remember that and try to get them to agree to let you send them something or stop by and talk. You have to ask for it! There was a mid day review of your "month" at the firm. I was required to fill out a recap which I clipped and pasted a lot from my business plan. but you could easily spend hours on the recap in prep for your "boss" calling you to review. (Time mgt here). I had 2 seperate lists of "leads" that I tried to get through during slow times, which there are not many. You have to manage your time regarding the meeting with your boss, the appointments on your schedule, calling prospects, putting follow up items on your calendar and adding info to the CRM program. I don't think I am giving away any secrets here because if you can't or don't do all these things in your life now, I don't see how you will get through this test. There is a short re-cap after the test with your "boss". They didn't tell me how I did, but they were very nice, which lead me to believe I did good. I ended up getting to talk to or leave messages to 20 prospects. I felt that was a good number, but wished I had done more. Afterwards, I was completely exhausted. It was very intense and the time flew by! I got a call a couple of business days later with the offer from the lead recruiter. It took me a few more days to get everything completed as they go back through 10 years of employment and one of the companies I worked for is out of business and gone! Luckily I am a pack rat and had some old W2's.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to convince someone to your position or idea and you knew they were opposed to it upfront.   Answer Question
    No negoitations, based on previous income. Be prepared, it is a fraction of what you made before.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

The interview process had three points of contact; an initial phone interview, a face-to-face interview with one individual in the department, and the leader of the department and one of his colleagues. All together, it took 5 weeks from filling out the application (when I was asked for an interview) before an offer was made.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a situation when you had a colleague that had a negative attitude about management, and what you did about it.

Please tell me about a time when you had to give bad news to your manager.
        Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

The hiring process is long. They will tell you that it takes 40 days on average and they aren't making that up. You start by submitting your resume, you will then be invited to apply, phone screen, interview in person, do a business plan, do a phone interview and finally do a virtual day in the life. You can wash out at any point along the way and you will know you washed out before they tell you. If the person you are dealing with is warm and friendly, you're good. If not, you didn't make it. If you can't tell how you did, you didn't make it.

Interview Questions
    • The business plan can be tricky if you've never done one before. Work with a veteran FA if you have one available.   Answer Question

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!