Edward Jones Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

3.2

Financial Advisor Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones in June 2009.

The website 12 step process is pretty much dead on, except I had a few extra steps thrown in there. I took about 2 months to complete it because I was balancing the last month of my college career, moving into a new place, and a trip to hawaii while going through. I definitely don't recommend any of that while trying to find a job. I began the process by going to my local Edward Jones Financial Advisor who made a call to St. Louis (corporate) on my behalf. This helped me skip another part of the process as those who apply outright online have to go through a California office where they weed out people before they get tossed into the St. Louis pipeline. I then received a call from the St. Louis office during which we set up an appointment to do a preliminary phone interview. The pre-liminary phone screen took 30 minutes. I was then sent the application and personality screen via e-mail which I took a while to fill out (because of Hawaii). The application is extensive and it WILL BE CHECKED THOROUGHLY IN THE BACKGROUND CHECK! After evaluating the application, I was called to schedule the formal phone interview. I was then called by another recruiter who made sure that all of my information supplied on my application (and especially my work history) was correct. During this call they made sure I understood the responsibilities of a financial advisor, I then had the opportunity to visit with an Edward Jones FA, but turned it down because I had already visited plenty of branches to understand the game. I was able to skip that step in the process. After this, they called to schedule the real phone interview which was based off of a series of behavioral based questions that are difficult to prepare for. If you aren't innovative and conscientious in your current job (even if it's a 8 dollar an hour college job with an hour commute 1 way) you won't get through this interview. Be yourself because they'll know if you're lying (they're pretty astute). After every phone call, I was told right away that I would be moving on to the next step. After making it through the last part of the process, I faxed my background check consent. Everything was clear, but I had to prove where I was living. If you've moved and haven't started paying bills yet, have fun with this step as you clarify that you actually do live where you say you do. I certainly did. After the background check goes through they send you a survey activity in which you commit to a number of houses and businesses to go door to door as an excercise to see if this is really what you want to do. EJ uses this as a prospecting tool for real first year advisors, and even 10 years in they still have to do it, so if it isn't for you, this will sure teach you. If you don't get the amount you showed up to, no face to face interview. Simple as that. The face to face interview is straight forward. It's a 5 page list of questions given to an FA by the corporate office to troubleshoot what they already know about you. When I got out of that, they told me it would be 5-10 business days. I got a call back at 10AM the next morning offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a specific example of how your innovation changed company policy.   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you were given a project at the last minute and only a short amount of time to complete it. What was the project? How did you go about completing it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate where I wanted my office to be, there were multiple places around me open so I was incredibly lucky. This is a deal breaker for a lot of people. If you're going to accept this, it needs to be where you live. If you can't have your business in the same location you go to the grocery store, it's going to be a long stretch. No salary or benefits negitiation, but they're really up front about what you can expect.

Financial Advisor Interview

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in September 2007.

First is a phone interview, then second interview is phone also and behavioral interview. At this point you do a market survey and knock on doors of your neigbors just to see if you are comfortable with the process. Then there is a face to face interview which last for about an hour

Interview Questions
    • tell me how you have established business relationships in the past, and what did you do?   Answer Question
    not able to negoiate

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Edward Jones in December 2009.

Human resourses phone interview was a challenge, but the FA interview was even harder. I have been a stay at home mom for 10 years with not job expierense so that made it hard for me. I do work as an on-call at EDJ looking for a full time position. Even though I've worked there for a year the interview process is still difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you tried to understand the reason for another person's reaction in a given situation. Explain in detail.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a situation when you took the time to understand the needs and expectations of a customer. Explain in detail.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in September 2009.

I was on my 5th interview, when I was asked to describe the process improvements I initiated at a previous employer. The process improvement was so obvious, we did not take before and after measurements. Never just improve something, it must be a scientific study for this company. I mean how many interviews does it take?

Interview Questions
    • Describe a particularly trying situation you experienced. How did you analyse the problem and come up with your response and how was it received?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation in which you were faced with a difficult customer and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in April 2009.

The interview process is long and tedious. You start with a phone interview. If you pass the phone interview you will then have to pass a personality test. If you pass this you go back to a phone interview. And if you finally pass that then the company will send you out on a task to knock on doors and ask some basic questions that might help you if you start up an office in the city. Finally you have two face to face interviews. The whole process takes about a month, although som of my colleagues had it last two months.

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in July 2011.

after reading the job description online, sent in a resume and coverletter. I was then contacted by the recruiter and set up a telephone interview with her. She then set up a time for the face to face interview. Only panel interviews are done at Edward Jones. It was a difficult interview.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones in November 2009.

The process began with questionnaires, a background check, and a short phone conversation. Next, I had to go door-to-door, ask people a series of questions, and solicit their phone numbers for follow-up. There were several more phone interviews and two more in person for a total of nine interviews.

The overall feel of the interview and hiring process was impersonal and frustrating. I had a hard time getting in touch with human resources, as did the advisors and recruiters within Edward Jones that wanted to hire me.

I really liked the new people that I met through my contacts within the organization and the advisors that I met in person to interview with. They were supportive, hard-working individuals that took time out of their busy days to recruit and interview me. These people returned my calls promptly and answered my questions in detail. It was obvious that they cared.

This was distinct from the culture at the HR department within the corporate office, where I felt very much like a number to be ignored. My recruiter and the advisors helping me tracked down my lost application twice during the process. In the end, I never even heard back from the corporate office regarding the status of my application-in spite of being reassured numerous times that I would at least get a phone call or an email with "Yea" or "Nay."

I understand that HR departments can be busy places. I also understand that someone may not have wanted to hire me. A simple "no" in the appropriate place, such as during my numerous follow-up calls, would have helped considerably.

I ended up accepting the same position with a competitor instead.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in November 2011.

The process is VERY defined, and VERY selective. They will find out EVERYTHING and ANYTHING about you, past arrests even if they are off your record, they will find out if your interviewing for other companies etc. Going through the process now and let me make it clear that this company, if offered an opportunity to work for them, is one that you should take. You need to be very detailed in your application and tell them everything, every job, every dollar earned etc.

Overall the hiring process is a 7-step process I have been invited back for the 4th step which is face to face surveys, I.E going door to door.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we go foward in the interview process with you?   Answer Question

RDP Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in October 2011.

It starts off with a pre-screening process onto a first stage selection. Then an interview 1-1. Along with a completion of a 12-14 pg employment application. Then a phone interview after couple days/week.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we consider you over all the other applicants?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, MT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, MT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones in June 2012.

My interview started with an online application. That led to a phone interview, then a face to face interview. Then came a tough background check. After that I was given a week to complete a survey and business plan. After that came another phone interview with HR in St. Louis. Then the final step was a 4 hour mock assessment. This was the final step. The recruiter was so helpful and everyone was so nice along the way. Long process but worth it

Interview Questions
    Forms were sent and then you had a week to accept or decline