Edward Jones Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.2

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Made it all the way to the day-in-the-life assessment and was completely taken aback by the outdated computer system and how I was just expected to know what to do. They give you no instruction and kind of just throw you out to the sharks on that one, which I didn't agree with. I don't believe it showcased my abilities at all and mainly just confused me. Many of the numbers I was given to call didn't even work either! So there was a good 15-20 minutes of my time wasted calling bad numbers and calling the help-desk to fix the problem. Everyone I dealt with in the interview process was excellent though and very personable (FA, recruiters, TA staff). Seems like a great company to work for but I have my reservations based on a few things I saw. They invited me to re-apply with them again in a year, but I'm on the fence if I will or not now.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions listed on this board are helpful. Study them and use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chico, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

I responded to an Edward Jones job posting on glassdoor. With a sales background in building relationships and using consultative selling, this seemed to be a great fit doing something new and exciting. Ed Jones received high marks from a few different publications. The hiring process is long and tedious with phone interviews, face to face interviews, a lengthy business plan, and a "Day In The Life" assessment. A total of 10 steps as well as a background and credit check. Make sure this is not the only company you are interviewing with....

You may do very well with the first nine steps as well as turn in a 20 page business plan like I did, and be praised for it, only to have the actor you role play with in the "Day In The Life" assessment who may in fact may just be an intern in college. In short, be prepared to spend hours, days, weeks and a couple of months trying to land this job which you may or may not get in step 10.

Interview Questions
    • The repeated questions from the actor and role player in the "Day In The Life" assessment which are as follows: so tell me why you want to be a FA with Edward Jones. Tell me how you will build your practice. How and where do you see yourself in the future. How would you handle a complaint about your BOA - Business Office Administrative Assistant?? These were all asked during the interview process and I did very well and was complimented for my answers.

However, the actor did not seem to have done his homework or reviewed what I had submitted and even admitted he did not have time to read my business plan which was one task assigned during the "DITL" assessment. I did my homework for six weeks.
        View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

There was only one phone interview. I applied online. From there on it was a lengthy process. I thought my chances of getting the job were slim, so I had the temptation to quit. In the end I decided that it would be a great learning experience to improve my interview skills, so I continued the application process. I recieved an e-mail that I landed a phone interview. I did the phone interview and got an e-mail that I had been hired. In the phone interview they asked me where I would like to be located for the summer. This is excited but if you want to save your money on rent, I would choose your home location. In addition to that it is extremely difficult to find an apartment that will rent month-to-month.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in May 2010.

Process was one month long. Several stages and spoke with several people and took aptitude tests. One person was constant through the process and explained, in detail what to expect in the next step of the hiring process. I had two interviews with Financial Advisors in two different cities apx one hour in each direction. One interviewer was male and one female. I was strongly encouraged to "follow the system" and success is going to happen.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation for Trainees.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in October 2013.

The interview process is was pretty time consuming. You have a phone interview, a face-to-face with an existing FA, another phone interview, write a business plan, go door-knocking, and have the notorious "day in the life" where you role play being an FA by making cold calls, a sales call, and deal with BOA shenanigans. I was recruited by the regional leader for my area, so had a bit of coaching to get through the process. The whole thing, from application submission to offer took about 30 days. You are definitely driving the process, and they are judging you on how driven you are through it. They want you to be self-reflective and persistent, especially with the day in the life. They are trying to give an accurate picture of what you will really be doing in the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you sought feedback on your performance and what did you do with that information; tell me about a time you uncovered a client need and exceeded client expectations. Be prepared with your STARs (situation/task, action, results)   Answer Question
    I accepted their offer as is, and from what I heard from other people, the same as what people who made what I did at my last job who tried to negotiate more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Went through the nine step interview process. Had spoken to a local Edward Jones Financial Advisor from within and the process was smooth and no issues that I could think of. Application, resume,phone interview,in-person interview, completing a business plan and assessment were done. It took about 45 days to go through the interviewing process. It's based on your own time schedule. Talent Acquisition Manager was very helpful and encouraging as well as other key people in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • typical interview questions using the S.T.A.R. Method "Tell me about a time" "Why did you choose Edward Jones?" The Assessment was interesting. But was able to get through it. Just relax and be yourself is what they will tell you.   View Answer
    Non- negotiable. Salary was based on the last two years of my w-2'd income. Youe are given incentives while you study for the exam and you are paid to study. Just bring whatever transferable skills you have with you and plug them in. Be ready to work hard.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

The first step for this interview was to do their very easy application. After the application process, I had a call from a local Edward Jones Financial Advisor. He called me to give me to me information on the background of the company and background on the financial advisor role. Then, I had the phone interview. The phone interview was very simple. They wanted you to walk you through your work and educational background and they had about three behavioral questions.

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

The communication process was very efficient. I was given timelines throughout the entire process and the time estimates given were accurate. The in person interview mirrored the telephone interview.

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in February 2014.

I had my phone interview and was told a was a very good candidate. I then had my in person and was again told i was a great choice. I did not get the job, but I was told I was such a good candidate that the advisor was going to recomend me to the main office. He felt i woild be an asset for Jones. I have not heard from Jones again. I have applied for two other BOA positions

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked were average, not as difficult as I expected   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

I applied on a Friday and received a call the following Monday to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. The phone interview was simple and relaxed, she mostly explained the job, asked a couple of previous job experience questions and then about three behavioral questions. At the end of the call she set up my next interview.

Step 2 is a face to face interview with a local FA. This was the best part of the interview process. The FA I interviewed with has been doing this for 30 years, he is very successful and made me very excited about the job. However, at the same time he was VERY honest about the hard work and dedication it takes to be successful. He was very up front about working 60 hour weeks the first year and about the dedication it takes to meet the amount of people you must to be successful. He asked about 6-8 behavioral questions, I can't remember exact number. My recruiter called me the next day to give me the info on the next step.

Step 3 is the survey and business plan. I made about 15 quality contacts on my survey. This is a good eye opener about what it is like to approach strangers in their homes and businesses. Once I submitted it to my recruiter she set up the next interview.

Step 4 is the phone interview with the Talent Acquisition Manager. He was friendly but to the point and seemed rushed. We discussed my business plan and survey. He asked about 3 behavioral questions and then he really emphasized what it takes to do this job. He really wanted to make sure I understood the hours and hard work, and that I was up for the challenge. He then set up the final step the Day in the Life of a FA assessment for the following week.

Step 5 is the Day in the Life of Assessment. This was the hardest part of the process and I was sure I failed, but I actually did very well. My only advice is don't let the actors you call get to you. They will all question why I should work with you and I don't know anything about you or your business. Just keep making calls, you may not know at all what you are talking about but just make the calls. Respond to emails and complete all other task. You will get some info before hand be sure to prepare for the client presentation, it will help with other phone conversations as well!! I believe the whole point of this is to see how well you do under stress, so just keep making those calls and don't let the actors get to you.

I received a phone call the next day with a job offer!

Interview Questions
    • Sample behavioral question. Tell me about a time a coworker or client was relying on you to make a quick decision… about a time when you went above and beyond for a client… about a time you did not get along with a coworker.   Answer Question
    I am going in under the FORCES program so it is set pay. If you are a veteran, reservist or guardsman, or have an advanced degree with no experience check out the FORCES program.