Edward Jones

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

3.2

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

The interviewing process is extensive and consist of 10 steps. 3 interviews, 1 Business Plan, and 1 simulation (the day in the life of a financial advisor). They are about to invest $75k in training if you receive and offer so they want to make sure that you are a good fit for the company and that the company is a good fit for you. They really care to see you succeed so they won't hire just anyone.

Interview Questions
    • The day in the life of a financial advisor was the most challenging part of the interview process because you are tested on your customer service skills, communication, networking, organization, and planning.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating.

Financial Advisor Interview

Too regimentated and methodical. No room for ambiguity in the process. If you don't have a sterling and impeccable U4/U5 as a former advisor, you are stymied in the process at the outset (during the background check by Compliance after the initial phone screening). The interview process (and, I presume, the job itself) is glorified boot camp with no room for individuality or creative expression. You become an Edward Jones boot camp enrollee.

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones.

I did the Financial Advisor Internship this past summer. During which, I completed my Business Plan and Door knocking/Face-to-Face Contacts. These are important parts in the normal hiring process. For the Business Plan I got help from as many FA's as I could because you really aren't expected to know most of the goals for the Assets Under Management, Commissions, etc.

After the internship I was invited to reapply for an FA position. I had to go back and give them my employment history for the past 10 years. They will check on each one, so hopefully you saved your W-2's if they ask.

Next, I met with an FA at their office and went through an interview. The FA's that interview you are not going to try to stump you. They are only looking for your past (specific) experiences, and how much you really want the job.

About a week or two after I had an interview with Talent Acquisition. It lasted about 60 minutes and I wasn't thrown anything that I wouldn't be prepared for. They didn't really go over much of the Business Plan either. They then invited me to schedule the infamous Day-in-the-Life Assessment.

I'm not sure I can really say much about the DILA. It is a demanding, 3 3/4 hour process that just tries to see how you interact with clients, supervisors, and coworkers. Just don't let them get to you, they're actors. I thought I did horribly, but I found out I did very well as I got an offer the following day. Excited to begin! Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you were part of a team and one of the team members wasn't performing as well as you expected.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Edward Jones.

I was contacted by a recruiter at Edward Jones for a marketing position. The first scheduled phone interview was cancelled ten minutes after it was supposed to start. When we rescheduled, there was still some confusion on when the call was supposed to take place. After a half hour of phone tag, we finally had our interview. It went well. No out of the ordinary questions. She did follow up with me a few weeks later, but I did not get the position.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in October 2014.

I applied for the market analyst summer internship program through my schools career services page. I was given the option to schedule a time to interview at our career services department on campus. I was interviewed by two individuals who had participated in the same internship a few years prior. The interview was predictable and they asked a number of behavior questions. There were also a few technical questions regarding the current market and recent stock news.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Edward Jones in October 2014.

Hiring process was very straight forward - email your resume over to FAInternships@edwardjones.com during recruitment season, which is from, August - November. Initially, you need to complete short answer questions online that illustrates if you'd be a good, "fit," for a career in financial services. After, you get an email for a phone interview. Interview was fairly simple: 6 questions. The interviewer primarily asks where do you want to work which is awesome since you can choose any zip code you want and they'll match you up to the closest branch office - this is called the, "host process." Additionally, she tells you a little more about the pay. Then, it goes to interview, and finally any questions you may have at the end. Decisions are made second week of December every year and fortunately, I got the offer!

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. I was paid 17.50 an hour based out of Houston, TX.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online – interviewed at Edward Jones in October 2014.

Spoke with an HR rep from their corporate office. Very nice, not a difficult interview but it seems to me they push sales talent much more than financial knowledge. They were completely uninterested in the fact I was an MBA student with prior financial background and were more so proud of the fact they hire anyone and teach them how to be an advisor. I suppose it may be a good company but that was a major turn off for me.

Interview Questions

Wanted me to leave school or re apply when I graduated

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones.

The process is as most everyone has described and very similar to what EJ (Edward Jones) tell you it will be. Normally takes 30-45 days to complete. Be forewarned that after your initial phone screening with the recruiter they will start the background check process and call your current employer to verify employment.

Look, if you want a place to hang your hat and spend your career making the lowest $$$ in the financial services industry, EJ is the place to go. If you want to actually make good $$$ and be your own boss and own your books and get a big payout when you retire, don't go to EJ.

Interview Questions
    • There are no difficult questions. They are all read from a script. Everyone I interviewed with was horrible at interviewing.   View Answer

Pay is crap. You must drink a lot of the green EJ Kool-Aid to survive.

Interview Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones.

The process takes about 6 months. If you come off as intelligent or overly qualified there is actually a good chance you won't get hired. The reason is that they know you will use them as a stepping stone and jump ship to a competitor that will pay you better and have a better reputation. Just act like you are willing to knock on doors and do what they say and you will be okay.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we spend $100,000 to hire you?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Edward Jones.

The interview process was extensive (lasted 2 months for me) . I went through 2 phone screens before I had a formal interview, then I did the business plan and survey, after that another phone screen, then they declined to proceed. They were extremely nice and had even started to talk about locations I was interested in working, but nothing came out of it in the end. The most disappointing thing is they won't tell you why they stop interviewing you.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you?
      What sets you apart from others?
      Tell me about a situation...?

Answer Question