Edward Jones

Average Difficulty
370 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Very Long process, 9 phases of interviews, drug testing/background check. Phone interviews, face to face interviews, survey exercise where you knock on people's doors to ask them a few questions about themselves to see if you are prepared to knock on doors.

Interview Question – Explain any leadership roles you have had   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interviewing process is bizarre. It took three months from the time the job was pulled from the website to the final decision being made. Multiple interviews (phone and face-to-face) even though most/all parties knew me.
Job was offered and accepted by other candidate...I found out more than a week later when I called recruiting...what a job.
Left hand doesn't know they have a right hand.

Interview Question – All the questions are the typical, tell me a time when...

The most difficult to answer is about conflict, tell me a time when you had a conflict with a leader and how did you resolve it...
  View Answer

Reason for Declining – Felt the business area was too disorganized for my taste.

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Edward Jones in January 2014.

Interview Details – When deciding to transition to another career, I used glassdoor explicitly to see how employees felt about their employers. I found that Edward Jones gets high praise not only from the employees, but also the employees' family members. That was a big deal to me.

As I started to read the interview process for Edward Jones it became clear that it was going to be a long and daunting task. I saw some reviews say 6 weeks, while others said 3 months. For me, personally, from start to finish it took me 9 weeks. Here are some suggestions I would like to make for people who are considering this company.

1. No other company will make you feel the kind of support you need during the interview process. Yes, it is long and you have to go through several phone calls, one face to face, and one half day role playing scenario. It can seem endless but nobody in my experience was looking for reasons to not hire me. Once they determined if I would be a quality person with good ethics (FBI background checks) then the people who interviewed me made me feel like a number one draft pick. Incredible feeling and it was worth my time.

2. I didn't have any background experience with the financial industry. Don't talk about things you don't know. If you don't already have a series 7, then I assure you, they don't want to hear what stocks you pick in your personal portfolio. This job, although I hate to use the words, is a sales job and they want to know how much Assets Under Management (AUM) you can bring to the company. If you already have friends and family that can get you AUM, then you don't have the pressure for those of us that do not. If you don't have those people in your back pocket, then your interview should be something like you love meeting knew people, you are not afraid of rejection, and your motivation will get you through all the "No's" you are going to hear. My mentor now at the firm says, "We don't manage money. We manage people."

3. It has been said in the past reviews but I would say it again, during the day in a life phase of the interview process you need to call as many people as you can. I called about 20 in my 4 hour time frame and I did not solicit one business. I wasn't good at it. They don't expect you to be. They tried to push my buttons and my emotions but I wrote down on a piece of paper "Thank you for your time and have a good evening." Click. Done. It isn't that bad. But a lot of people go through the entire process of 4 and 5 interviews and then fail because they are afraid to make the call. The calls are professional actors. Maybe that helps you like it did me. Real people, maybe some, but not a lot will react the way they did. I think most people are reasonable, and they were not! haha.

I hope this post helps. I got hired a month ago and they are paying me to study for my exams. I take it in two weeks! If you get this far, you will either study at home or at a branch office. I am at a branch office so I get to see the daily life of a FA. It looks to be worth my time. A few obstacles in the first 2 years because of the learning curve but definitely looks and feels like a great place to work. #4 in Forbes!!

Interview Question – I don't know why this was unexpected to me, but all the face to face questions were "tell me about a time..." They didn't want to know in theory. They wanted a specific time, place, and people and the situation. To be honest, I didn't do very stellar in any of my interviews. I never do. But just be honest and humble and I believe anyone will make it through the interview phase if they try. Good luck!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they offered a percentage of my previous salary during the study phase and a substantial pay increase once I pass and get a "Can Sell" date, which every trainee strives for.

Akron, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2010.

Interview Details – I first applied online and contacted a recruiter I met with at my college. He helped me set up and prepare for the first phone interview which was pretty routine. After the initial phone screen interview I had another phone interview and had to fill out an aptitude questionnaire online. This led to the face to face interview, and prior to the face to face interview I had to go out in my community and go door to door collecting names, addresses, phone numbers and information for people in my community. I had to bring the list of names i collected to my face to face interview.

Interview Question – What qualities do you have that will make you great at this job and what qualities do you have that will make it difficult?   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in April 2014.

Interview Details – Uploaded resume, received a call within a week letting me know they were interested in scheduling a telephone interview. They set it up for exactly a week later for noon. They called from the home office exactly at noon... I interviewed with the same HR lady that initiated the first phone call. She was casual but probing. She was professional but somewhat friendly. Of course I was nervous...

At first she talked small talk, then outlined how the interview would proceed. I could hear her typing furiously (lol) as I answered the questions. After the interview she said thanked me, and told me that she would present the phone interview to the HR team to make the decision. She also said that I would hear back from her by email, either way. She said that if the HR team approved me, I would then be scheduled to interview with the Financial Advisor to whom I would be administrating and managing accounts for.

I think that Edward Jones is very professional and systematic about the way that they screen, approach, and make their decisions. But then again, they have to be. They are currently opening offices up all over Florida. Hope this helps someone who is interested in working at Edward Jones.

Interview Question – Why would I select Edward Jones as my employer?   View Answer

Financial Advisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – If you don't have a degree or sales experience don't start the process because you will make it all the way until right before the last step just to have them tell you they are moving on to other applicants for those exact reasons. FYI. This may have been just a personal experience. I still think that it is a great opportunity, however, just beware.

Interview Question – How much do you want to make?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Financial Advisor Trainee

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Got phone call, met with one advisor, then got a phone call for follow-up interview. Was told to get 25 contacts by knocking on doors and bring them to the interview. Interview was easy, you interview with another financial advisor, as long as you complete the exercise you should get the job.

Interview Question – How do you handle rejection?   Answer Question

BOA Branch Office Administrator

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Phone interview went well a serious of questions of "Tell me a time when". I was told i did wonderful and would refer to me to Face to Face interview with the financial advisor.Face to face interview with the financial advisor was the same types of questions, was told would take a couple of weeks or month- never heard back.

Interview Question – A time when you had to deal with conflict with your coworker.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Be ready for a long two months of interviewing! There are three interviews one of which is in person the other two are by phone. You have a business plan and survey activity that need to be accomplished as well and finally a test to see how you function on a daily basis while "running" your office. Most people will be put through all but the last step, so be ready to waste 45 days interviewing with no results.

Interview Question – Be prepared for STAR type interview questions. They are not difficult, but you must answer correctly, in order and specifically for every question or you lose.   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Edward Jones in February 2014.

Interview Details – Offered Position. 6 weeks later I am still waiting for a start date. They now want a 1099 from a position I held 10 years ago, a copy of my college diploma & a deadline of 3 days to comply. I faxed it over the same day and still no response. There is reasonable and unreasonable. I am an experienced financial professional and I feel like I have not been treated well by my prospective employer. Not to mention a loss of 6 weeks.

Interview Question – Tell me all you know about fee based products.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all