Edward Jones

335 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

BOA Branch Office Administrator

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Very thorough and professional. Met with the branch advisor and had an hour interview that was interesting and a good way to see the work environment. Had a phone interview that was also about an hour and was challenging in the questions, but again interesting and informative.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you worked with a difficult person or situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – We are planning to move away from this area, after all, and I didn't want to commit to a new employer, and then have to leave in a short time.

Investment Representative Interview

Investment Representative

I applied online and interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Completed online application; followed by phone interview followed by interview with Broker

Interview Question – Edward Jones hires only 1% of its applicants. Why should you be in the 1%?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It is a pre-established amount for the training period, which lasts for about 6 months. Then, it is based on building your own line of clientele.

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

BOA Branch Office Administrator

Interviewed at Edward Jones

Interview Details – Filled out an online application and was called back for a phone interview. After phone interview with company human resources recruiter I received a call back from the branch financial analyst. Set up a time for a face to face interview at the branch. Phone interview lasted approximately 35 minutes and branch interview was about 1 hour.

Interview Question – There were many behavioral/situational questions. Tell me a time when...   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Investment Representative Interview

Investment Representative
Stillwater, OK

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was hired directly out of college. The process included an initial application, which was reviewed to determine if I would have a phone interview. The initial interview was with someone in St Louis and then a psychometric phone interview with a third party. Once that was complete, there is a final interview with someone in a local branch office.

Interview Question – I cannot think of any trick questions. They are looking for entrepreneurial mentality and work ethic over investment knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At the time, the program was a one year base (plus lower base while studying if applicable). No negotiation.

Financial Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in December 2013.

Interview Details – There are 6 steps in the hiring process. Once you reach the 4th step after an extensive application process your are instructed to meet with a local advisor in your area. The meeting is set up by the regional recruiter from St Louis, MO.

My meeting with the local advisor was a huge eye opener. The position isn't as posted and the local advisor was extremely rude and unprofessional. I was given a packet before hand describing the position and the local advisor contradicted the new agent process.

Would have ended my pursuit well before hand if I would have known I had to speak with this local agent in the beginning.

Interview Question – Do you understand the new agent process.   View Answer

Accountant Interview

Accountant

Interviewed at Edward Jones

Interview Details – There were several interviews, including a phone interview.

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation.

Financial Advisor (FACD) Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – I have been through and received offers from some of the top companies in my career: ING Investment Management, Teach For America and Google. Without a doubt Edward Jones is the hardest, longest and most demanding.

The interview process started with a basic phone screen interview. Using the STAR method will be very helpful at this stage. Second is an in-person interview with a financial advisor, it should be very similar to the first one. Make sure to make eye contact and prove that you are able to create and maintain relationships. The third is a survey activity and business plan. Here you will need to get the names and numbers of at least 25 people and have them answer a few questions. At first this was a challenge for me but if you want to succeed in the business you will have to get over the initial uncomfortably and push through. For many this is the hardest part. As far as the business plan portion make sure that your numbers and estimates make sense and that you can back them up.

After that stage you will have another interview concerning your survey and business plan. This should also be a straight forward STAR type interview. They may also ask you to clarify a few points on your plan. Lastly if all is successful you will be invited to the day in the life assessment. Here, you will have four hours to act as an advisor. You will answer calls, schedule meeting, and deal with issues that an actual advisor would have to go through.

You are judged on your ability to multi-task, create and stay on a schedule, discipline, communication skills and your ability to take rejection. For this part, create a strategy! Make sure you plan out your day and take action by calling as many clients as you can.

Though this process is long and hard it allows you to actually get a sense of what its like to be in this field and I am glad I am joining a firm that went through such a rigorous process. The skills that you learn through the interviewing process will certainly be needed once you are hired.

I hope this review helps! Best of luck.

Interview Question – The most difficult was the "day in the life assessment" you will be asked to call fictional people and convince them to set up an appointment.   View Answer

Helpdesk Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones in April 2011.

Interview Details – Why do you want part time?
Do you want to stay with part time.
Why do you want to work from home?
What software, hardware and systems have you worked with?
Are you able to create a home work environment free of outside noise and distraction?
There can be no child care or pet or other outside noises/distractions.

Interview Question – What have you done trouble-shooting wise for hardware and software issues with computers and peripherals? (Don't be afraid of this question....it's mostly a test for personality, adaptability, willingness to learn and enjoy helping others).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable for this position due to training. Hourly wage goes up after training.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview Details – Combine all previous interviews I've been in within the past 15 years and it still doesn't even come close to the commitment, prep time, and thought required to advance through the Edward Jones interview process. By the end of the process, not only do you have an idea of what it takes to work for Jones, but you truly know if this opportunity is the one for you. Each person is different, but my interview took 43 days - from resume submission to offer. The interview steps followed the outline found on their careers website to a "T". I found the people I interacted with to be very professional, thorough, and kind. Jones has a system. Their system works. And they're not changing it.

Do yourself a favor and go through every single interview review on this site and copy down the various interview questions. Take the time to put thought into each question and type out your answers. Study the questions and your answers. Be prepared. I found 80 different questions and spent the time answering every one of them in detail before the first phone screening where the behavior questions begin. All in all, I spent a total of nearly 40 hours preparing for all stages of the interview. The last step is the Day in the Life Assessment. I can't stress enough - take this seriously! 4 hours flies by. They had me hopping directly out of the gate. Follow the directions and be yourself. The whole idea here is to see if you have what it takes to perform at their expected level day in and day out.

Interview Question – There are plenty of examples on this site of the types of questions they ask. Google the STAR method of interview questions. Know this method of questioning inside and out. Be ready to state your Situation or Task, describe the Action you took and provide the Results from your action.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Straight forward. They calculate a percentage of your previous 2 years of income. No negotiations.

Financial Advisor
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Edward Jones in October 2013.

Interview Details – What can I say... I have never seen a bigger mess than I experienced in the 10 step interviewing process that Edward Jones puts you through.

First off, prepare to risk two full months to see it all the way to completion. The background review will try to pick at you, discredit you, and treat you like a terrorist. You will get shuffled around to different expert "talent evaluators" who all expect you to feed them the classic company line BS. Make sure you don't voice even the slightest inkling of distaste with their 1930s business model or show any form of entrepreneurial initiative or backbone, as regardless of how they try to spin it, they are looking for worker bee "yes men" who nod their head and plug away diligently for the almighty EJ.

This will not be your own business. They will own you and your book all along the way. They say jump, and expect to hear how high. Even in the interview process, they will make you pay your own way to face to face interviews and expect you to generate leads for them without a job offer. This is sell, sell, sell, meet benchmarks, sell, sell, sell. If the client has success, good for them... but they are just faceless numbers. Edward Jones is priority 1, 1a, and 1b.

Whatever you do, if you reach the final day in the life challenge, and truly want this job for many years, tell them exactly what they want to hear. Otherwise you run the risk of them calling you and telling you what a great job you did through the entire process and about how much they like you and think you would be a great fit for their company, but that the panel just kinda felt like maybe you should wait a few years before starting because well, you might be too entrepreneurial for their business model right now to have the highest probability of success. So sorry, you did great... wouldn't change anything, but just doesn't feel totally safe and right to us at this time. Maybe when you are older. Thanks for the two months.

Then you are left to write a bitter post for a review site in hopes that someone else doesn't get taken the way you just did.

Interview Question – Being told that you were expected to give them 25 years in the same location, whereas they can dump you on a whim if they feel like it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Edward Jones