Edward Jones Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones (Denver, CO) in December 2014.

Interview

The whole process took about a month. Several phone interviews rating your personality. Then there's an interview with a current FA before finally doing a "Day in the Life" simulation which last about 3 1/2 hrs. After the simulation I was offered the next day.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of your leadership in the workplace?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

Phone and in person interviews, background check, business plan, job simulation, drug test etc. It was important to think ahead of time about my accomplishments and describe them in terms of how they made a difference, found new business and generated revenue/profits for my prior employers. This is especially important when you are changing careers, you have to be good at demonstrating how the things you learned and accomplished in a different field apply to the self-managing, 'think like a business owner' scenario of being a Financial Advisor.

Interview Questions

• I was asked specifically how I would build my business because nothing is automatically given to a new FA, you have to create your own success and be willing to knock on doors.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is a set salary from the beginning, and this comp plan for new hires has gotten better and better since the time I joined the firm.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Edward Jones (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I applied online and then received an email stating they would like to schedule a phone interview. I had to schedule it online. I had to schedule it four weeks down the line. I had the phone interview and it was very basic and was told I'd get a call back regarding the process.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

I initially applied in January and first had contact with someone by phone. I then had another phone interview and then a face to face interview in the area where I would be located at with another financial advisor. I then had a computer related test "Day in the Life of a Financial Advisor" is what it was called. Very basic but this is where most people wash out at from what I've heard.

Interview Questions

• Doing the computer related part of the interview is where most people wash out at.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Wasn't really a negotiation phase. They offered a base salary plus commission and I was satisified with that.

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

Applied online and was contacted for a brief phone interview. I passed that and was then sent a email inviting me to a non mandatory open house I unfortunately could not make it to that specific date and 1 hour time slot. I called to follow up and sent emails never heard a word back.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

I have my day in the life assessment in a couple of days. So far the process has been EXACTLY what they said it would. Everyone I've spoken with had been extremely nice and helpful. Even new FA's who don't even know me have taken their time to give me advice on the process. The questions they ask haven't been too difficult. What I've been told over and over and I really do believe is "just be yourself" and if it's meant to be it will happen.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time a goal was set for you and how you went about meeting that goal.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in November 2014.

Interview

Dropped off a resume at a military job fair, next week was called by a recruiter and I said I was not interested due to looking at another opportunity. Was called the next day by two other FA in the area to discuss EJ and answer questions with me. This was a honest and frank conversation in which I asked some tough questions. They changed my mind about EJ and I decided to go forward and filled out the long online application. My spouse and I were taken out to dinner by EJ with a senior FA the next week to discuss their experience/career from the perspective of former military veterans. I was then screened by a FA recruiter via phone and the next step was a face to face interview with an experienced advisor. I had one last phone interview with a regional recruiter and was then scheduled for a day in the live event. This process took me about 26 days and I believe it was quick because I asked for a yes/no answer ASAP as I was looking at two other positions They were very professional with me and understood my reasoning about my request. The experience was personnel and very easy because the entire time numerous FAs from my surrounding area called me through the process. It felt like everyone in the field was pulling for me.

Interview Questions

• You will do a day in the life event which will challenge you. It is what it is and you will do things and discuss topics outside of your comfort zone. For me this is exactly the position EJ is looking to place you in. There is no advise, except have nothing else to do for this four hours. Honestly based on your previous experience you will do fine or can't meet their expectation. It was challenging but I thought it was fun and entertaining.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had the option of picking a traditional or forces package and I choose the forces option with more guaranteed money in the first year without commission.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

I interviewed a couple times. The first Interview was over the phone and it was behavioral questions. The second interview was face to face and they were situational. What would you do if a client did this etc. The third interview was again over the phone and it was based off of my branch plan. The final process was the financial advisor assessment. For 3 hours you are a financial advisor at a made up branch. Your basically handling all the pressures a Financial Advisor goes through daily. I have to say although I think it is great because it allows the interviewee to see if this is something they really want to do or not. They put more in 3 hours that I have actually seen go on.

Interview Questions

• It is important you know how to build credibility and break the ice in initial contact.   Answer Question

ATL Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online after seeing an office around my house. I received an email the next day requesting to set up a time to talk. I had a phone interview with a recruiter. She explained the process and gave me a timeline. After two weeks received a call that I had been selected for next interview. Two weeks later I had a face to face interview and had to do a presentation. I was notified I received the position two weeks after that. From first contact to start date was two months.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to do something you didn't have any experience with.....What was the outcome?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much negotiation due to not being licensed.

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

Interview

The interviewing process is extensive and consist of 10 steps. 3 interviews, 1 Business Plan, and 1 simulation (the day in the life of a financial advisor). They are about to invest $75k in training if you receive and offer so they want to make sure that you are a good fit for the company and that the company is a good fit for you. They really care to see you succeed so they won't hire just anyone.

Interview Questions

• The day in the life of a financial advisor was the most challenging part of the interview process because you are tested on your customer service skills, communication, networking, organization, and planning.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiating.