Edward Jones Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.2

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

Made it all the way to the day-in-the-life assessment and was completely taken aback by the outdated computer system and how I was just expected to know what to do. They give you no instruction and kind of just throw you out to the sharks on that one, which I didn't agree with. I don't believe it showcased my abilities at all and mainly just confused me. Many of the numbers I was given to call didn't even work either! So there was a good 15-20 minutes of my time wasted calling bad numbers and calling the help-desk to fix the problem. Everyone I dealt with in the interview process was excellent though and very personable (FA, recruiters, TA staff). Seems like a great company to work for but I have my reservations based on a few things I saw. They invited me to re-apply with them again in a year, but I'm on the fence if I will or not now.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions listed on this board are helpful. Study them and use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Went through the nine step interview process. Had spoken to a local Edward Jones Financial Advisor from within and the process was smooth and no issues that I could think of. Application, resume,phone interview,in-person interview, completing a business plan and assessment were done. It took about 45 days to go through the interviewing process. It's based on your own time schedule. Talent Acquisition Manager was very helpful and encouraging as well as other key people in the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• typical interview questions using the S.T.A.R. Method "Tell me about a time" "Why did you choose Edward Jones?" The Assessment was interesting. But was able to get through it. Just relax and be yourself is what they will tell you.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non- negotiable. Salary was based on the last two years of my w-2'd income. Youe are given incentives while you study for the exam and you are paid to study. Just bring whatever transferable skills you have with you and plug them in. Be ready to work hard.

Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) Interview

Application

interviewed at Edward Jones (Fort Collins, CO) in July 2014.

Interview

Very detailed and thorough. Edward Jones seems to be very selective and has a very good idea of the candidates they are looking for. The hiring process is very lengthy, but there is someone that you keep in touch with and he or she will keep you updated along the way. Excellent communication throughout the process.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Edward Jones in July 2014.

Interview

The process was fairly easy. I applied online and got a response right away. Everyone is very friendly and professional. I had a misscommunication through the process but it was quickly fixed and with no issues. It was very comfortable to talk to everyone and I did not feel uncomfortable at any moment.

Interview Questions

• There have not been any difficult questions. They go over your work hisotry and your accomplishments. The only question that caught me off guard was, "How can you explain a difdficult subject to a regular person". The question is not hard to answer, I was just not expecting them to ask me that. Overall, the questions usually involve "situational" scenarios, so be prepared to answer "what would you do" or how would you do" type of questions   Answer Question

Although I applied for the postion, it was not really what I was looking for. I just went through the process for the experience and as a "just in case"

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was long first was a phone interview not unusual about the phone interview. Then their was One on One interview with a Financial Ad visor that went well. Then there was a 4 hour day in the life training I thought I did well but did not receive and offer. I do not think it was time wasted but I do believe that it is to long. Working for 4 hours and not receiving any compensation for that time is not too nice. Problem is I have no clue what I did wrong but something happened at the end. I hear it's a great company to work for if you can get through the interview process.

BOA Branch Office Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

The communication process was very efficient. I was given timelines throughout the entire process and the time estimates given were accurate. The in person interview mirrored the telephone interview.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

I applied on a Friday and received a call the following Monday to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. The phone interview was simple and relaxed, she mostly explained the job, asked a couple of previous job experience questions and then about three behavioral questions. At the end of the call she set up my next interview.

Step 2 is a face to face interview with a local FA. This was the best part of the interview process. The FA I interviewed with has been doing this for 30 years, he is very successful and made me very excited about the job. However, at the same time he was VERY honest about the hard work and dedication it takes to be successful. He was very up front about working 60 hour weeks the first year and about the dedication it takes to meet the amount of people you must to be successful. He asked about 6-8 behavioral questions, I can't remember exact number. My recruiter called me the next day to give me the info on the next step.

Step 3 is the survey and business plan. I made about 15 quality contacts on my survey. This is a good eye opener about what it is like to approach strangers in their homes and businesses. Once I submitted it to my recruiter she set up the next interview.

Step 4 is the phone interview with the Talent Acquisition Manager. He was friendly but to the point and seemed rushed. We discussed my business plan and survey. He asked about 3 behavioral questions and then he really emphasized what it takes to do this job. He really wanted to make sure I understood the hours and hard work, and that I was up for the challenge. He then set up the final step the Day in the Life of a FA assessment for the following week.

Step 5 is the Day in the Life of Assessment. This was the hardest part of the process and I was sure I failed, but I actually did very well. My only advice is don't let the actors you call get to you. They will all question why I should work with you and I don't know anything about you or your business. Just keep making calls, you may not know at all what you are talking about but just make the calls. Respond to emails and complete all other task. You will get some info before hand be sure to prepare for the client presentation, it will help with other phone conversations as well!! I believe the whole point of this is to see how well you do under stress, so just keep making those calls and don't let the actors get to you.

I received a phone call the next day with a job offer!

Interview Questions

• Sample behavioral question. Tell me about a time a coworker or client was relying on you to make a quick decision… about a time when you went above and beyond for a client… about a time you did not get along with a coworker.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I am going in under the FORCES program so it is set pay. If you are a veteran, reservist or guardsman, or have an advanced degree with no experience check out the FORCES program.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

Interview

(Day 1) Having created a very dense curriculum vitae from my previous employer and graduate school, I was easily able to submit my application for initial review.

(Day 3) Two days later I was contacted via email and invited to submit the initial application which includes very specific and highly detailed summaries of current/past employers, salaries, residences, and education history.

(Day 4) I was promptly contacted over the phone by my Talent Acquisition Specialist who helped me verify and edit any information on the application that was entered incorrectly. This is a very important aspect of the application process as all new Registered Representatives wishing to sit for the Series 7 Licensing Exam must have athorough FBI background check.

(~ Day 7) I was contacted again to conduct my first phone interview.

(~Day 10) I had my first phone interview which asks many questions about how you handle professional situations and asks questions about your specific goals and desires for autonomy

(~Day 14) I had my first face-to-face interview with a veteran FA from Edward Jones. The content of the interview was very similar to the phone interview, and I made sure to have very specific and broad-based questions ready for the FA at the end of the interview. I feel that this interview was two-part: 1) To make sure your professional appearance, posture, and demeanorwas suitable to being a FInancial Advisor (i.e. Dark Suit, White or Blue shirt, Striped Red, Blue or Yellow tie, no facial hair, Confident body language, etc.), and 2) To make sure your story matches up and that you are ready to build a business

(~Day 16) I was asked to complete a Business Plan which gives you an opportunity to construct a daily and monthly plan for your performance and how you intend to build your "book of business". I contacted a local Edward Jones FA to help me supplement what I was unable to find online from the Edward Jones website

(~Day 20) I submitted my Business Plan and was almost immediately contacted to correct several errors in regards to my projected revenues, accounts, etc. to bring them to standard. And I was also asked to set up a time to talk with the REgional Recruiter to discuss my plan and make sure I understood what is meant by "Door-knocking" and that this will consititute nearly 100% of my days until year 2-3.

(~Day 24) I spoke very candidly with the Regional Recruiter, voicing my enthusiasm, concerns, and making sure to acknowledge any reccomendations he had. I was then invited to take part in the "Day-in-the-Life" Assessment.

(~Day 28) I successfully passed the Day-in-the-Lief Assessment which is a grueling 4 hour process that ultimately tests your ability to prioritize under extreme pressure. Nothing more can be said there.

(~Day 30) I was extended an offer to be brought on as an FA trainee to study and sit for the Series 7 and Series 66 LicensingExams.

I felt extremely supported throughout the hiring process and the best advise I can give is to be humble, as this job will humble you. Ask for help and advise from your TalentAcquisition Specialist and get to know them on a personla basis, as it is all part of the hiring process.

I feel extremely blessed to have been given the opportunity to engage in a career with an excellent work/life balance that rewards you for your time and effort and helps clients prepare for what is quite possibly the most anxiety-inducing stage of their life - retirement

Interview Questions

• These questions are STAR questions, that require you to provide a Situation that pertains to the question, the specific Task you were given that pertains to the question, the Actions you took to complete the task, and the Results of your actions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Your slary is based on the greater of either 50% of your current/prior salary or $30,000. However, most FAs stand to make between $10K-$15K in bonuses and $10K - $15K in commissions beginning in the year after their Training period which lasts for 17 weeks.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Edward Jones in June 2014.

Interview

The first step for this interview was to do their very easy application. After the application process, I had a call from a local Edward Jones Financial Advisor. He called me to give me to me information on the background of the company and background on the financial advisor role. Then, I had the phone interview. The phone interview was very simple. They wanted you to walk you through your work and educational background and they had about three behavioral questions.

FA Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Edward Jones.

Interview

Online application followed by phone interview, relatively straightforward. About 10% of applicants received offers. After accepting offer, within less than a week had to pass a drug test/background check/ fingerprint.

Interview Questions

• Majoring in economics, why are you suited for a job in finance?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiating.