Egenera

1 candidate interview
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Interview

Engineering

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Egenera in June 2007.

Interview Details – The hiring manager called for a phone screen and was very pleasant. He asked questions about my most recent software projects, and provided a lot of information about the company and software team. He mentioned that the company was doing well and aiming to go public with an IPO very soon. When I arrived for the interview, I was surprised by the large number of boxes and large crated computers in every hallway. It seemed pretty cramped. They were having problems with the HVAC system that day, and there was water pouring out of the ceiling into someone's cube (I kid you not). Meanwhile, I was starting to sweat from the sweltering heat. I interviewed with two engineers who were pretty easy to talk with but grilled me on hypervisor algorithms. On the way to one engineer's office, we went through the very hot hardware lab with dozens of large systems haphazardly cabled together and rivers of power cords all over the floor. In the end, I didn't get an offer, but I heard later that they a layoff anyway.

Interview Question – There was almost a pop quiz of what the latest bugs in the Xen hypervisor are.   View Answer

Worked for Egenera? Contribute to the Community!