Einstein Bros. Bagels

Average Difficulty
25 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Einstein Bros. Bagels in June 2014.

Interview Details – Got a call to set up an interview very soon after submitting my application. The interview was just right there in the store and since I hadn't had any experience I was asked questions like what's your best asset that you would bring to the table, why do you want to work here, tell me something about yourself, what do your friends say about you, etc. I was asked to a second interview which wasn't even an interview, it was just getting hired. I started working within about 9 days from the day I submitted the application.

Interview Question – not any super hard questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They pretty much pay everyone above minimum wage, at least where I work, and in the interview I was asked how much I wanted an hour and we negotiated.

Crew Member Interview

Crew Member
Knoxville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Einstein Bros. Bagels in March 2014.

Interview Details – It was a very simple quick process. I applied on Snagajob, the manager texted me about an interview, very quick simple straight forward interview. He said that they were looking for back up employees in case someone quit but, I took another job before a spot opened up.

Interview Question – This is probably normal but, he asked what my aspirations were as far as working with them.   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Einstein Bros. Bagels.

Interview Details – There was only one interview, and it was with the General Manager at the store. It was quick, concise, and to the point. Not a long interview, but that would probably depend on the General Manager more so than the company itself. The interview was mostly concerned with my previous food service experience and how I would apply it to this position

Interview Question – How would you handle this situation: you arrive from the back of house to see that the coffee is out at the bar, there is a customer waiting to be cashed out, and there is an order that hasn't been started.   View Answer

San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Einstein Bros. Bagels in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied via craigslist for a position within a franchise store. Got a call back for an interview about 25 days after. The manager asked me a couple of questions about availability and my interest. We set up an interview 4 days later. Met one on one. Got called back 2 days later with a job offer. The interview process was not difficult at all. They basically ask you about your work experience, they go over your resume and you explain the skills that you have and why you want to work there. I felt very confident with my answer and instead of making it a question answer type of thing I tried to make it a conversation where he would ask me something and we would talk about it. He went over salary, expectations, and shifts availability without me having to ask which was pretty convenient since having to ask that makes it a little awkward. Gave me a heads up about how busy the place was and how the location is hectic. They were really nice and seemed very interested in the way I responded to the questions.

Interview Question – What would you do with your current job (since I had one when I interviewed)? I tried to sound like my priority was Einstein's.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a great offer with part time to start off with and depending on your work it could turn into full time

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Interview Details – It as a somewhat long process. I was contacted after over a month of having applied. I had a short phone interview, then two face-to-face interviews. The whole process, from the day I applied to the day I started took almost 3 months.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were unable to deliver as promised. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Baker Interview

Baker
Tucson, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Einstein Bros. Bagels.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty smooth. Unlike with other employers where they ask you lots of awkward or unnecessary questions and have you fill out those silly questionaires, there was none of that with this company. However, it did take WEEKS for my background check which was pretty odd, and inconvenient. I have never had to wait so long for a background check before and I have worked for many different employers. Generally it'd take no longer than 2 or 3 days.

Interview Question – I can't recall.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward.

General Manager Interview

General Manager

I applied in-person and interviewed at Einstein Bros. Bagels.

Interview Details – Interview with ABM, then Regional Director and possibly HR

Interview Question – Standard questions, nothing hard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation room

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Human Resources Generalist
Whittier, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Einstein Bros. Bagels in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process as a whole was disorganized to say the least. The initial contact was made over the phone by one of their recruiters. After setting up a date and time to conduct a phone interview, the recruiter failed to call at the arranged time. She called one hour later because she had failed to note that she was in Mountain Time while I am in California. I could not speak to her when she called because I was already at my current job and did not have the time. Two weeks went by with no additional contact until the Sr. HR Mgr. sent out a mass email to all applicants asking for dates and times of availability so that she could conduct a phone interview. She explained that successful candidates would then move on to interview in person with the Sr. Director of the plant. I was invited to speak with the Sr. Director as soon as I finished my phone interview.

I was then scheduled to interview with the EVP of HR. He later cancelled it saying that he felt comfortable with the assessment given by both the Sr HR Mgr. and the Sr. Director. I was emailed their benefits package and was told that they offered PTO and paid holidays. At this point any reasonable person would think “yeah, an offer should be forthcoming.” However, I was asked by the Sr. HR Mgr. to meet with the Sr Director one last time because there were still some reservations on her part. I was asked to send my feedback on the final interview and to let her know what kind of “vibe” I got from the Sr. Director.

I obliged and explained to her that there were many questions regarding the type of work environment I was most comfortable in and that the overall vibe was amicable and professional.

During the final interview the Sr. Director kept insisting that the person she wanted for this position needed to be comfortable with saying “no” to her once in a while with regards to labor laws or anything HR related at the plant. I told her that I had absolutely no problem doing that, and that in my current position I was very comfortable correcting my VP of HR whenever I saw something inaccurate. The Sr. Director made a facial impression that showed she was not looking for this type of working relationship at all. It appears that she wants to have the last say at the plant. Most of her managers told me that this is the way she operates when I spoke to them during the first interview, but I thought they were exaggerating, boy was I wrong.

The final interview lasted about an hour, (three hours less than the first meeting) I reiterated that I was a team player but that HR needed to have ownership of certain projects, trainings, and especially when dealing with employee relations. I explained to her that in order for HR to be trusted by the employees I needed to show them that I was neutral to both sides. HR’s role was to be objective when dealing with employee matters, especially disciplinary issues; she agreed, but she did not say it with much conviction. She thanked me for my time and informed me that they would be making a decision within a few days.

I received an email from the Sr HR Mgr. three days later informing me that they were not going to extend an offer and were going to continue interviewing other candidates for the position. I was told their decision did not reflect my accomplishments; rather it was based on their knowledge of the requirements for the job at the plant. I took it as code for “the Sr Director loves to micro manage and your personality does not fit the mold of the minion she is looking for.”

I take this a blessing in disguise, because I would not want to leave my current position for anything but the perfect fit. This culture seems far from it. I would warn any HR professionals applying to this position to be wary of the culture. Although perceived as a place where teamwork and collaboration is championed, it became evident that the Sr Director likes to have the last say in all matters relating to the plant.

This position does not offer any growth to any HR professional looking to expand their knowledge. If you are looking to just go with the flow and keep your ideas and opinions to yourself, then this is the place for you. Otherwise stay away from this place and apply somewhere else where you will be given the autonomy to properly manage the HR dept. in an objective manner.

Interview Question – Explain how you would influence a potential applicant making more money at his current job with a day shift to join our company for less money and a third shift.   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Einstein Bros. Bagels in January 2013.

Interview Details – Very easy to get through interview process. First walked in and got an application from Einstein's, stopped by when the manager was in and then talked to the assistant manager and the store manager contacted me shortly after.

Interview Question – How well do you work with others. What if other employees are being difficult.   View Answer

Shift Manager/Baker Interview

Shift Manager/Baker
Austin, TX

Interview Details – Walked in, asked for an application. They let me fill it out in the store and talk to the manager. Pretty straight-forward, questions about the brand name, food industry, bagels, etc. Hired on as a minion for a few months before being promoted. He actually called me just a few hours after the interview to ask me to come in for orientation that weekend.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Einstein's?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Initially, the wages are fairly low, between minimum wage and 8.50 depending on your experience. Negotiating after my promotion was a little sticker.

Worked for Einstein Bros. Bagels? Contribute to the Community!