Elan Pharmaceuticals Interview Questions

2.7

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Elan Pharmaceuticals.

The process was quick. Phone interview, followed by an onsite interview with 4-5 people. Came in for a second interview with HR. Background check and drug test lasted for 2-3 weeks.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Elan Pharmaceuticals in July 2011.

I had an interview with Elan in July. The process went well and the people were very nice. I met over 10 people including several directors, managers and even VP. Then I had dinner with two directors and one group members. It was tired but a happy experience overall. But they did not give me offer.

Director IT Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Elan Pharmaceuticals in February 2010.

Was contacted by a outside recruiter. The job sounded interesting. They wanted to move directly to in-person interviews. I said I really wanted to do a phone screen first and was told they don't do that. So I agreed to move directly to in-person interview. I was very clear with the recruiter that I did not want to participate in any "panel" interviews during any first round of interviews and that I would be glad at this stage to meet with as many persons as they wished but that it would have to be on a one to one basis.

So I should up for the interviews and the very first was a panel interview with five "VPs". I was rather angry but contained those feelings and proceeded with the interview. I was astonished at the lack of relevance of the questions I was asked by such senior managers to a candidate for a senior position. It was highy dis-organized. During the interview I could hear an argument going on in the adjacent conference room and it seems to be getting pretty nasty. Now you would thing that the CIO, the most senior guy to be conducting my interview would care about how all this would seem to a candidate but he didn't raise an eyebrow about it. After two very ackward hours this interview ended. I was ready to bail. But they wanted me to meet with "a few more of the lads".

Well it turned out to be another panel interview, this time with four guys that report to the un-lucky person to take this job. Again I painted a smile on my face for another two hours.

One the most painful and pointless interviews I've ever had. Aside from the fact that I was blind sided by the first panel interview, which I specifically said I did not want to do. The questions were among the dumbest I've ever been asked in my 18 years as a senior IT executive. And then on top of that, being subject to another panel interview with staff that was never mentioned in the first place.

I could not drive away from the place fast enough. I was blow away when they made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How much experience do you have with PRINCE2 project management methods?   View Answer
    • What kind of experience do you have support pharmaceutical research environments?   View Answer

1. The very negative interview experience
    2. The apparently very toxic culture
    3. The insulting low salary offer

Security Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Elan Pharmaceuticals in November 2009.

The process included a recruiter phone interview, 3 in person interviews with the hiring manager, a phone interview with a remote staff member and in person interviews with peers and supervisor of hiring manager.

All interviews were professional and well prepared. There was much more of a focus on my skill set as opposed to what the company provides. The overall work environment appeared somewhat stiff and boring.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Elan Pharmaceuticals in April 2009.

One on one interview with several folks

Interview Questions
    Offer is firm - little room for negotiation
    However, very good and flexible relocation package

Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Elan Pharmaceuticals in January 2009.

Very casual, other lab members seem bored with what they do but as one associate states "it's a paycheck"

Interview Questions

Not conducive to productive research.
    HR is incompetent and unwilling to negate.

Senior Research Associate Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Elan Pharmaceuticals.

It was long time ago. The interview was well planned, I was called by the hiring manager directly over the phone first, then after a few days on-site interview, which lasted the whole day.

Science Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Elan Pharmaceuticals in April 2012.

Initial communication by phone. Very smooth and easy question in one to one sessions with different interview. The questions during one hour talk was very detailed and elaborate answers were expected.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They did not agree with anything although the offer was outstanding and they talked nicely.

Director Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Elan Pharmaceuticals in September 2008.

Worked through head hunter. Took long-time getting back to me.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current employeer   View Answer