Elance-oDesk

Updated Feb 25, 2015

1.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Elance-oDesk

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Elance-oDesk.

One phone screen and onsite, got the offer. People is nice and fair on the process. The management is really dedicative and even call you on the weekend to discuss the offers detail. The general feeling by just looking into the management background, it looks like the company is doing well and should have some future.

Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Elance-oDesk in January 2015.

Elance-oDesk responded a few days after I sent in my application. The initial process was easy-going and lively. We sent a few emails back and forth until we agreed on an interview date/time. The actual interview was smooth and the Hiring Manager asked a number of routine questions (background, management tool experience, etc.). At the end of the interview, I asked her what the next steps were and I was told I'd be hearing from them within the next few days as it was a relatively quick hiring process (apparently they were hiring within two weeks). I then emailed the recruiting coordinator, thanking her for the experience, and was also told I'd be hearing from them within the week.

A little over a week passed, I haven't heard from them so I decided to send a follow-up email to their recruiting consultant. No response. I gave it another week or so and sent another follow up email to let them know I'm still interested. Again, no response. I reached out to the Hiring Manager a few days later to see where I was or if the position was still open. Nothing.

To sum up, they were generally nice but lacked the constant communication and professionalism in dealing with their potential co-workers. It's one area that can be improved on.

Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Elance-oDesk in August 2014.

Odesk reached out to me about a position they thought I was a good fit for. The initial communication process was smooth. But the phone interview and communication thereafter was truly a bad experience. I've never dealt with such bad professionalism.

During the interview the recruiter asked me to list what I did, understandable. Then I asked her what is she looking for. She listed some additional things, of which I forgot to mention. And long version short, we bid our farewells. Soon after I emailed her, providing some examples regarding the things she listed, of which I forgot to mention over the phone. I felt as if the recruiter was looking for specific words/phrases and because I didn't say it in the preliminary conversation, it meant I lacked experience in it, which isn't true. It would've been better if she had follow-up questions like, we are looking for XYZ, do you have any examples of those you can share? But I felt like she instantly dismissed me like a bad apple just because I neglected to list keywords she was looking for.

So getting back to my email. I emailed her and no response. I emailed her again, still no response. I emailed her coordinator, also no response. I hate to generalize but this experience does depict a level of professionalism and integrity within the company.

Elance-oDesk Response

Sep 24, 2014HR

Thank you for the feedback on your interviews with us. Our goal is to always provide a smooth and thorough process and provide timely feedback. We apologize that you did not have an experience with ... More

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Elance-oDesk in May 2014.

I had a really strange experience interviewing here. Let me preface by saying, nice people but they were completely frazzled. The team didn't know what role I was interviewing for. Of the four folks, four asked me pretty much the same questions. It was a waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • I think I asked the most difficult question which was, "why do you work here."   Answer Question

Elance-oDesk Response

Jul 2, 2014HR Representative

Thank you for the feedback. We strive to make every interview an exceptional experience at Elance-oDesk and are sorry we fell short this time. We will use your comments to improve the clarity of our ... More