Electric Cloud

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Electric Cloud in November 2014.

I went through a telephone screening with the Sr. Director of Engineering. This conversation discussed my background, the company's history, details on the product team I was applying to, and a technical puzzle in C++.

My on-site interview had me in 30-60m one-on-one conversations with every member of the team I was applying for, plus a Product Manager from another team. These interviews were a mix of technical problem solving, prior work experience, and open-ended questions. I was struck by how well this approach painted an overall picture of the team and work environment. This is a group of senior engineers with an exacting and professional approach to problem solving.

I returned the next day to speak with the Chief Product Officer, who grilled me on various questions generated by on-site interview the previous day. He was direct and no-nonsense, reinforcing my positive experience that this was a frank, solution-oriented company.

The entire process left me excited wanting to join the company.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a multi-threaded C++ program with sample output from several runs and asked to identify why it was occasionally deadlocking. The problem was appropriately bite-sized for a 1 hour interview, but included just enough hair to not be obvious. It took me a bit to "see" the bug, which created opportunity for discussion around design.   Answer Question
    During the interview process I was open and honest about my work history and present situation. I didn't keep anything close to my vest. I was unhappy with a small piece of my initial offer, and asked to have that changed. My request was granted and we both came away happy.

Engineering Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Electric Cloud in October 2014.

Their internal recruiter was friendly but I came through an agency. On boarding was great...HR sent me a hiring gift to my house and I had a welcome bag full of stuff on my desk. Everyone is friendly and welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • They clearly want the best of the best. Several interviews but I liked getting to meet who I would be potentially working with. All questions pertained to the job I interviewed for.   Answer Question
    Smooth. Got what I wanted.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Started off by answering a job ad, then 2 Phone calls, in person interview with team members. The HR staff and recruiter seemed a little disconnected in communications. The marketing staff has been revamped in the last year. Apparently the new staff is very aligned in their religious views and is looking to continue along the same path with new hires.

Interview Questions
    • First question of one interviewer: "Could you confirm you are Jewish? [The Team Leader] and I are Jewish and we noticed your last name, and we would be so happy if you could confirm you're Jewish... ?"   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Electric Cloud.

I originally applied online, was contacted by a recruiter for initial phone screen followed up with a scheduled in-person discussion with the hiring manager. Returned shortly after to meet with other key team members for a half-day on-site interview that consisted of a total of 4 in-person 1:1 discussions (30 minutes each). Was contacted by recruiter later.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Electric Cloud in May 2011.

The entire process was very quick and nearly transparent. The recruiter and manager asked me key questions, gave me a chance to sell my skills and shared their needs.

Interview Questions
    • The manager questioned my career move; felt I was actually downgrading jobs. One of the best pieces of advice I've received   Answer Question

The manager's implication that I should look for a better opportunity was accurate.

Presales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Electric Cloud in September 2010.

First two phone screens with a manager from the technical sales team. Vetted my customer facing background and some technical. Second phone screen with an engineer was fairly technical. In person interviews were 45min each with a manager of support, an engineer, a sales engineer, and HR. They are looking for a fairly deep set of development experience plus customer facing experience

Interview Questions
    • Given a text file with First Name, perhaps middle, and last name - write pseudo code to pick out just the people who are named "Steven" but not "Steve" and format the results Last, First Middle   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Electric Cloud in March 2010.

I am a Tools, SCM, Build/Release Engineer with strong GNU Make experience. They wanted a technical support engineer for their GNU Make based build product. I have done a lot to internal customers but they wanted someone with external customer support experience. The interview consisted of two parts on different days. First was a skills test. It ranged from simple UNIX and Make questions to difficult ones. I did quite well. The next part was a series of 1:1 interviews. It ranged from a peer to the position to the CEO. The interview was much more relaxed than the test. They were impressed by my skills but still decided I didn't have enough experience in customer support for a good fit. Not really sure where they are going to find such a person...

Interview Questions
    • In GNU Make what is the difference between the following rules:
      x.o y.o: