Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2015

2.8

Student Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with two employees. The process took approximately 1 hour. It has been 5 months and I still haven't heard from the interviewer or HR about the position. I am assuming that I didn't get the job. It would have been nice to at least get an email saying that I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• What was a weakness I have, and what have I done to overcome this weakness.   Answer Question

Technical Leader - Advanced Metering Systems Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) (Knoxville, TN) in March 2015.

Interview

I was supposed to have a phone screen but never did. They kept calling me and never returned my calls. They eventually just brought me onsite. I interviewed with 6 people for 30mins each and led a presentation to a small group. All went very well, including all of the interviews, except one. I was given no technical questions at all, i had one interviewer who asked me questions about my current company's proprietary technology that I really couldn't answer. The questioning in the interview led me to believe that they had contacted my current managers without my permission prior to the interview. This was confirmed later and it had a negative impact on my current employment. This was wrong...but not entirely a surprise given the inbred nature of the utility industry. I really wish they had saved us both time and eliminated me during the phone screen process, but after thinking about it I believe they went forward with my interview at the behest of my current management to find out what I was up to and convince me not to leave. I noted that one interviewer had poor communication skills, poor people skills, and was averse to the idea of managing people. I felt like I was perceived as a threat...and believe that a lesser person was eventually hired that would remain subservient.

Interview Questions

• What do your current managers say about you?   1 Answer

Technical Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) (Charlotte, NC) in August 2014.

Interview

Phone call to plan the date. Interview was with about half a dozen people who were managers as well as peers. Some were long time employees and some were new. Some of the interview questions were technical and others were standard about how to approach resolution to a problem, how to manage projects and related topics. The interview process lasted all day and included me giving a technical presentation to a small group. I got to select the topic and was informed in advance so that I would have something prepared. The group asked good questions.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging questions were related to my presentation - the people in the room were really paying attention and wanted more in-depth information than was included in the slides   Answer Question
    • There were questions about moving across the country, and how i felt about that   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) in June 2014.

Interview

My adviser told me that there is vacancy and he asked me if I wanted to come. And I personally contact the manager and then HR took over. The interview took only half an hour talking about what we are gonna do and if I am qualified for this project. And that is done. Everything is smooth just took a month to proceed

Interview Questions

• I was asked to talk about the previous experience in implementing OPF and skills of oop   Answer Question

Technical Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) (Knoxville, TN).

Interview

Telephone interview with technical staff then HR. Then in person in Knoxville, TN office. Everything was a bit unorganized and unclear when working with HR assistant but when I met Sr HR person she was very knowledgable about the position and the company as a whole. Very impressive. Some of the the people I interviewed with have written books and papers I have read and studied.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe a task that I was given that I as not able to complete. Was left to me if I decided to explain why.   Answer Question

Nuclear Chemistry Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

I was called shortly after applying through my schools career website and asked basic feeler questions before being asked to come in for a second interview on site. Unfortunately, the description of the job they offered me did not align well with the actual internship. They asked me to describe my previous work experience, event though none of it related to the work I would be doing. They also asked basic "what would you do in this situation?" questions that required only basic answers.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) (Washington, DC) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview was about what am I dong in the current job and they explain about the job description for a new job. I was not interested to work in that company because when I asked about the career advancement, the interviewer seems not happy with my question. The reason for me to look for a new job is because I want to advance my career in the future.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

Received a call after submitting my application online a few weeks earlier. A phone interview was scheduled for the next 2 days or so, with the Sr. HR Manager, who was very friendly, yet professional. She advised timeline. Got another call to schedule in person interview with 3 other people the week after. Got a rejection letter probably 3 weeks later :(

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2008.

Interview

Contacted by an in-house contracted recruiter and had an initial phone interview and then met with the hiring manager and one member of the team. Offered position from recruiter and handled all salary, etc. negotiation with recruiter as middle-man. Seamless interview process and quick decision to hire.

Negotiation

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI).

Interview

HR, Interview on phone and 1 on 1

Interview Questions

• None very straight forward   1 Answer