Electronic Arts Interview Questions in Burnaby, BC

2.6

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Electronic Arts.

Interviewed with the Head of the Department and two Recruiters. The dress is casual and the process was straightforward. Interview to hire was 4 weeks and the follow ups and communication were very good. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. I received a studio tour of the facilities and overall was impressed with the whole process compared to other companies that I have interviewed with.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, basic recruiting questions. How do you organize and manage your reqs? How do you organize your day? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses   Answer Question
    Put in a counter offer. The pay is fairly high in comparison to other companies.

Technical Artist Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Electronic Arts in March 2013.

Started off with a phone interview with a super friendly HR rep. Was asked general questions about things on my resume, and she threw in a simple "What's the difference between C++ and Java?"

I came in for an actual interview and it was in two parts (each one being half an hour, for a total of a one hour long interview). The first part was just a general personality chat with the development director and he was super cool. I showed off some of my projects, and he gave me his impressions as well as some feedback. He also ended it by asking the elevator question ("You're in the elevator with the CEO and you need to convince him by the time you reach the 5th floor why the CEO should hire you").

Then came the technical interview right after. Seeing as each interview was only supposed to be half an hour, and I was going to have 2 people interview me in the tech interview, I didn't expect many questions or questions of high difficulty. I was gravely mistaken. One of the interviewers was really cold and expressionless, while the other one fired tech question after tech question. I was barely given any room to breathe, and as a result, fumbled on a few questions that I knew the answer to but couldn't recall. I'd suggest to review stuff like linked lists, differences between different languages (ie.Python, C++), and be ready to come up with algorithms on the spot. He asked questions and really needled about the details of all my answers, trying his absolute best to trip me up. On top of this rapid fire period, they made me ALSO implement a function on the whiteboard.

Frankly, coming out of that interview, I felt pretty wronged. It wasn't even a dedicated software dev job, and yet my interviewer tried to be as difficult as possible. I wouldn't want to work with someone like that.

Interview Questions
    • The practical was to implement a function that checks if a number is a prime number (bool isPrime(int x)). It was simple to come up with the algorithm, but then I was asked to optimize it as much as possible. Really didn't expect them to ask something like that, but I managed to come up with a few optimizations on the spot, and they were impressed.   Answer Question

Assistant Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Electronic Arts in August 2012.

The initial interview was a quick telephone chat with my direct managers, it was a very nice and productive chat focused on what experiences and knowledge I have related to the reality of the position.

After that I went to a personal interview at the studio where once again I talked with my direct managers and once again it was very pleasant, they are nice people that made me feel comfortable. And there wasn't any of that annoying "interview" questions that make no sense, we just talked about what I knew of the job and they constantly gave me points to talk about that were related to the position and to the project.

Right after that there was a very quick chat with HR where they just gave me facts about the positions.

I also appreciated that the whole thing was very quick and to the point, with no excessive rounds of several similar or useless interviews.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, accepted their terms right away which were fair for the time.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Electronic Arts in August 2011.

Started with a phone call from a recruiter, next there was a phone screening with a programmer from the team, finally an in person interview.

The interview was pretty standard fare, with a few basic technical questions and a couple of brain teasers.

After that I was called with the offer, and a package was mailed to me. For my position there was no salary or benefits negotiation what-so-ever, but this is not always the case. After I'd received the package and signed the documents, I was given a start date for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • All questions asked were basic C++ language questions, followed by a bunch of brain teasers.   Answer Question
    Negotiation for temporary employees is generally non-existent. If you're being hired as a full time employee, you're likely to have some lee-way but don't expect much.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Electronic Arts in April 2011.

Two interviews with directors which were very generic and casual. I was hired by a recruiting company who had a deal with EA, so I was pre-screened before the actual interview.

Initially offered $40/hr and negotiated to $42/hr

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Electronic Arts in February 2011.

Applied Online then did an HR Interview which led to several team interviews over the phone. HR interview involved mostly asking about my experience and what I'm looking for in terms of a company and some other general questions. Team interviews were EXTREMELY technical and challenging!

The questions asked involved a large variety including sorting, searching, animation, memory optimization, computer graphics concepts (rendering), frameworks such as XNA, general C++/C#/Objective-C questions along with a bunch of general algorithm questions such as run times of algorithms!

Interview Questions
    • How to grow an array in a way that provides constant insertion time on average case   View Answer
    Was not able to negotiate anything

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Electronic Arts in August 2010.

Had a onsite interview because I was a local candidate. There were two part to the interview. The first part was a technical interview with two members of the team I am interviewing for. They were very clear on their expectation that they wanted someone who can jump onto the project quickly. I was given two technical questions to do. The second part of the interview was just a HR interview that went over a few things on my resume and answered the questions I have.

Interview Questions
    • When given a pre-existing piece of code, how would you go about testing it?   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Electronic Arts in August 2010.

The process started with a phone interview with a recruiter from HR, then a phone interview with a member of the team. This was followed by a face to face interview with a few members of the team and a then case study at a later date. Overall the process felt quite drawn out and there wasn't a lot of feedback between each step. I found myself following up more than seemed necessary to get an idea of the hiring process.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Electronic Arts in April 2008.

I landed the phone interview at the Massive Technology Show in Vancouver, BC. It was not a recruiting event but I decided to try my luck there, as I wasn't getting many interviews as a new grad. I approached a few booths but EA was about the only booth that was nice enough to talk to someone who was seeking a job. The phone interview was scheduled about a week after the event. It was an HR interview consisted of mostly questions regarding to educational backgrounds and work experiences. The HR personel also asked a couple "technical" questions that required a definitive answer. The questions were along the lines of "What is the big O for quick sort?", "What is a friend class?" After the phone interview, I had the impression that they needed people very urgently because we skipped through the usual technical phone interview and he scheduled a in-person interview for me right away.

The in-person interview was held about a week after the initial phone screen. It lasted for about 2.5 hours. I had two interviewers in the first hours and they drilled me on the usual technical stuff, algorithm and general knowledge-based questions. That was the only technical interviews that I had and honestly those quesions were very easy because any relatively complex question would require at least an hour to solve and I was asked a dozen quesions during that one hour.

The second hour was an interview with the hiring manager and he asked mostly about behavioral questions. I spoke mostly the truth about myself and BS'ed a bit here and there and told him what he wanted to hear. The questions were like "how do you handle conflicts with your co-worker/professor/fellow student?" and "tell me about your strengths". EA was a gaming company and big on sports games, so I tried very hard to tell him throughout the interview how big of a gaming/sports fan I was. I truly liked gaming and sports so I was very excited and talked very passionately about the games that I enjoyed and I think the manager really liked that.

The last part of the interview was with a recruiter who was basically asking me what my expectation of salary was. When he asked me that question, I thought I already had the job but later found out it was just a normal practice for EAC recruiters to ask that question. I didn't get a tour of the company like a couple of my friends from college did so I thought I done failed. I found out later that the tour doesn't mean anything because I've had friends that had the tour and didn't get the job. EAC had one of the most impressive campus I've ever seen (I now work at Redmond and it's not nearly as nice as EAC in terms of facilities and decorations). EAC had a lot of designer furnitures and stuff.

After the interview, I emailed and thanked the first recruiter whom I got the initial phone screen from. And from him, I found out that my interview results were very positive. He told me to expect a call the following Monday.

And I got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Given 100 white marbles and 100 black marbles and two jaws. Put these marbles in the two jars in a way that would maximize the chance of retrieving a white marble from any given jaw.   View Answers (3)
    I didn't have much to negotiate as I was a new grad with almost zero experience. I still negotiated though, and I said something along the lines of "is there any chance you can up the offer?" And I got a pretty good increase in salary. The recruiter said usually there was little room for negotiation for new grads but since I did extremely well he just gave me the increase.

The advice I would give to everybody is that ALWAYS NEGOTIATE. The worst that can happen is that you don't get the increase. Don't worry about the manager's "first impression" of you would be greedy as long as your request is reasonable.

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Electronic Arts in April 2008.

Took an online test. I guess I passed be wise I was. Alled in to be parr of a group onterwoew in front o a panel. they asked us individual questions and tested our ability to work as a group by asking us to balance a set of nails on a single nail in a piece of wood. I already knew how to do it, so I told them and the test changed to see if I could get the group to do the task by just describing the steps to them.
    Afterwards, I was called back to interview 1 on 1 with a rep from the team I would be working with to see if I would be a good fit. Easy peasy.

Interview Questions
    • Watch a video of a wip game. Spot at least 15 bugs.   View Answer
    No room for negotiations for this entry level job.