Electronic Arts

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Updated Jul 16, 2014

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maitland, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Electronic Arts in May 2014.

I had several phone interviews with the team prior to being offered an on-site visit. The office is super nice, and the dress code is extremely casual. The vast majority of people walking around were dressed in cargo shorts and flip-flops. On-site, I was given a 2 hour programming test and was taken out to lunch with the team. At the end of the day, I was given a tour of the facilities.

Overall, I was treated exceptionally well by everyone involved.

Interview Questions
  • I can't say much because you have to sign an NDA before arriving on-site. Just be comfortable in C++ data structures and memory management, and you should be ok. I was told the interview test is periodically rewritten throughout the year, so don't rely too heavily on anything you read online if you do happen to find someone willing to break their NDA.   Answer Question
I attempted to negotiate over the phone, and was denied any increases in pay, stocks or vacation. To be fair though, the initial offer and benefits package was absurdly better than most I've seen, so this honestly wasn't a huge deal at all.

Other Interview Reviews for Electronic Arts

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Electronic Arts.

had a tech interview with the hiring manager and then called on for an onsite. Onsite experience was a disaster. 8 interviews and one of the interviewer did not show up on time. As a result ended up giving a 4 on 1 interview and all had different questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Electronic Arts in February 2012.

Very constructive and peaceful. Felt like I was at the right place at the right time. I could have had done better but I chose to see that as my own problem rather than EA's.

Interview Questions
    • When was the last time you held a job?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maitland, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Electronic Arts in September 2011.

I was referred to EA by a friend who worked there. My initial talk was with his current manager on the phone. I took a trip to FL and had an in-person interview there with a manager. While there I took their skills test. A few days later I had a follow-up interview with team members in Canada. I was told I was the first to interview for the position and they took several weeks to make a decision.

Interview Questions
    • During my in-person interview I was asked to write a few versions of a string-copy function, and we also walked through how to construct a garbage collector. The skills test is confidential, but prospective employees should be aware of a variety of topics from memory, to debugging, to AI concepts. Not all questions need to be answered in the allotted time, but having some knowledge in as many categories as possible and solid knowledge is a few should get you through depending on your level of entry.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate, but one who is more inclined to do so should be encouraged to try. In addition to asking about salary, try to increase the amount of stock that you'll be granted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood Shores, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood Shores, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Electronic Arts in March 2011.

Interviewed for 2 groups. Panel interview for one full afternoon.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to code on whiteboard by disgruntled employee.   Answer Question
    Unable to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Electronic Arts in July 2013.

Applied online direct to Hyderabad HR as response to email. Got details of coding challenge 8 days later. Had 4 days to complete.
    Sent code in time. Didn't get response for 3 days, so sent email on 4th day. Got reply from HR that they didn't get my attached code, so resent code.
    Called back after 4 days (weekend included), got response that it would take couple of days to process. Next day got call to know that first round telephonic interview was scheduled next day.
    Thrice it happened that HR would call saying interview would call at specified time but interviewer didn't call. After 2nd time this happened ( on a Friday), I called HR on Monday evening, he wasn't even aware that interview hadn't happened.
    Finally I did get the first round. You may have to follow up HR to process your application. HR was polite and cooperative, but it is frustrating to lose 2-3 weeks, as you may be seeking employment at multiple companies, and they act like you can wait forever to get response from EA.

Interview Questions
    • Coding challenge is good (tough challenge) - they may ask to write small game.
      Interview questions were ok - in c++ - what is static variable,
      how is global static different from global var,
       how is static used in class, how it is initialised,
       how is const var initialised in a class,
      if class b is derived from class a, and class b constructor has 2 int parameters, but class a doesn't have such constructor what will happen if such constructer used to create object. (neither class a or b has any variables to use values passed in constructor)
      In what order constructors of a and b will be called, and what order a and b are created.
      What is MVC pattern , how its used for game.
      What is singleton, explain related to objective c.
      What is director class in cocos 2D.
      How will you find bug for crashed program when no human readable call stack exists.

View Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Electronic Arts in July 2013.

Applied online, application got reviewed after 65 days!
    got an email within a day to have a phone conversation. Spoke with the hiring manager the following day. same day I was asked to do an online programming challenge and submit my code, within the next 3 days (was a long weekend). I did not have time to work on the problem so I only spent and hour and submitted a semi-solved (working duo) solution with explanation that why and how it could be improved. Recruiter got back to me with an extension and asked me to please work more and see if you can do it any better!
    spent 3-5 hours and solved it marvellously!!
    a day after submission I was invited to join the team at the studio, HR person was very well accommodating to set it according to my schedule!
    spent 5 hours on campus meeting with the team members and managers:
    - SE team member (1 hr)
    - SE team member and a senior manager from another team (1 hr)
    - team's tech manager (1 hr)
    - break (.5 hr)
    - hiring manager (.5 hr)
    - my recruiter ( .3 hr)

technical interviews questions covered almost everything from design, architecture, general Q about Java coding and under the hood mostly relative to my own experience and team's need.
    Very friendly people and laid back environment.
    if I wanna sum it up I loved it :)

The whole process got me over 4 weeks but mostly because of my own schedule, if I take my side out it was 1-2 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Electronic Arts in May 2012.

The interview process consists of few one on one interviews. The first interview was for around an hour and
    was completely technical. Was asked to write few programs. Then few questions on C++, Threads. After the technical round, was called for manager round. The manager round consisted of questions on current project and few questions in C and debugging tools used. The next round was director round, which was very short with no technical questions. The last round was the HR round, where we discussed about the offer and the policies of the company were explained by the HR.

Interview Questions
    • How would you debug an application that was running perfectly for long time, but crashed on one fine day.   Answer Question

Already had a better offer in hand which EA could not match.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Electronic Arts in August 2010.

Interviewers asked some very simple programming questions and they dont have sufficient knowledge to understand the projects. Though I answered every question they asked i was declined offer. A very bad experience in terms of quality of interviewers