Eli Lilly

Getting the Interview

50 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Eli Lilly in November 2010.

Interview Details – Apply on line first and take a profile assessment. If that goes through then a phone interview. Once that goes through you will get a f2f with 3 hiring managers. Possibly a interview with the RD.

Interview Question – explain a time when you have had to go above and beyond your normal duties.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Eli Lilly

Interview Details – Application followed by online test (about an hour). Contacted by recruiter scheduling a phone interview. Lasted about 15 minutes. Contacted by another and scheduled face to face interview with 3 district managers. Lasted about an hour. Said followup will be in one to two weeks

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to change someone's opinion to fit your own?   Answer Question

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative

I applied online and interviewed at Eli Lilly.

Interview Details – I applied for a position online and once submitted received an email to complete a screening questionnaire. Approximately a week later, I received an email to schedule a phone interview with a hiring recruiter. Phone interview was pretty basic, I was asked general questions about my resume and why I was interested in a position in pharmaceutical sales. At the completion of the phone interview, the recruiter said she was going to recommend that I move forward in the interview process. The recruiter did not have any information regarding when the in-person interview would be held, but told me I would be contacted within 2 weeks with details. Within the two weeks, I received an email from another individual to schedule my in-person interview. The interview was held at a local hotel and lasted approximately 1 hour. Panel interview consisted of three people, and while the questions could have been tough, it was nothing I didn’t expect because I had done research on potential questions that would be asked. Following my interview, the hiring manger stated that everyone would be notified within one week of their status. The following week, I received an email from the hiring manager that I was selected for a final interview and if I would be available to meet him at a local Panera to further discuss the position. The final interview lasted about an hour, and the hiring manger stated the purpose was to learn more about my thought process and see if I would fit in with the region’s team. During this interview, the hiring manager went into greater detail about the position and the company’s bonus structure. I was only asked a few questions and they were pretty tough. The following week I received a call from the hiring manger that he had went with one of the other finalists who had more experience in the industry.

Interview Question – What products will this position be selling?   Answer Question

White Plains, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Eli Lilly in July 2012.

Interview Details – Seemingly streamlined, and likely that is the belief on the inside. After you complete the enormous online profile and take the time consuming assessment, you are then contacted contacted via email and or phone to arrange for a "phone screen" with a 3rd party screening company. This is pure luck of the draw in whom you speak with. Very generic questions on job history, why pharma, explanation of process and position. If selected, you will then be contacted via email to select a date and time from a list for a face to face interview. The face to face was with 3 people. Two regional managers and one sales rep. The questioning was a walk thru the resume, explanation of each of there own personal history at Lilly, and then various other "why do you want to be in Pharma sales" type questions. One of the managers was a bit over the top in questioning. Based on my prior professional experiences, the questions were "loaded", and skewed to the point of not being answerable. Questions regarding the working dynamic and norms within the industry,company and position. All things one gathers thru experience, much like I suspect he did as well.

Interview Question – How do you see a "no see" doctor?   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Eli Lilly.

Interview Details – Phone screen from recruiter, Face to Face Interview with District Manager, Panel Interview with 3 managers, Final interview with Manager.

Interview Question – What is the most competitive thing you did last week that wasn't related to work?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Manager informed me that there was no room for negotiation, that the salary came from HR. Other reps commented that that wasn't their same experience.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Eli Lilly in January 2009.

Interview Details – Pretty Basic..

1. Phone interview
2. On site

*Name some products that we sell
*Tell us a time when you faced a difficult situation
*How have you shown leadership
*How do you deal with rejection?

Interview Question – Name some more drugs that we sell   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Eli Lilly in November 2011.

Interview Details – It was all very simple started with the application then the Personality test. After that it went on to the phone interview. If you made it through that then it was a Panel Interview.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview was basic information such as, how would handle a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question
  • 1:1 interview was a bit more complex with questions like how you would handle this situation, more in depth of what you can bring to the table for them.   Answer Question

Champaign, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Eli Lilly in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online at the end of November 2011, Initial phone interview with Recruiter in early December, 1st Face to Face interview with 2 different panels in early January, 2nd interview with hiring manager in mid-January.

Then they decided to do another round of interviews.

I was finally told at the end of February I wasn't selected for the position. The position was also reposted online again shortly after.

When I asked the hiring manager for feedback as to why I hadn't gotten the offer, he said he would call me and then never did.

Overall not a good experience with one of the largest Pharma companies in the world.

Interview Question – Why is a man hole cover round?   View Answer

Saint Louis, MO

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Eli Lilly in February 2012.

Interview Details – Online assesment, phone interview and group panel interview.

Tuscaloosa, AL

The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Eli Lilly in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewing process with Lilly was very intense. I received an email to schedule a phone interview. This interview was with a recruiter from a 3rd party who knew very little about the company. I asked questions that the interviewer was not prepared to answer; however, the interview (on my behalf) went well, and I was contacted, once again via email, to schedule a face to face interview. I interviewed with two managers on November 30th, 2011 and was told that I would hear back either way in 7 to 10 days. Well after the alleged 7-10days, the HR called me and scheduled a breakfast with me at a local panera bread for late December. We met, chatted, just casual conversation. I was asked a few more questions about how I felt about the position, was it still a good fit for me, and etc. I was told that I would hear information at the beginning of the New Year...the deadline was pushed back to late Feb so I am STILL waiting. BUT...I guess good things come to those who wait.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Eli Lilly

Worked for Eli Lilly? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative interview questions and advice. All 50 interview reviews posted anonymously by Eli Lilly employees and interview candidates.