Eli Lilly

Updated Nov 23, 2014

3.2

56 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

The interview was held in rented office space with multiple candidates interviewing for the same position. Friendly interviewers with a prepared list of expected questions, but I found it more difficult than usual to develop rapport or get a feel for how interview was going.

Interview Questions
  • Talk about a challenge you faced in a previous job situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Eli Lilly

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Eli Lilly.

The interview process took FOREVER. I had long since given up hope when a recruiter finally called for a phone interview. After the phone interview, he told me someone would contact me within a week. It was 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were pretty typical. Tell us why you deserve this job more than anyone else. Do you love to win or hate to lose?   Answer Question

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Eli Lilly in July 2014.

Applied online. Next day was asked to take the assessment test. Following day was emailed directly by DM that she would like to set up a phone interview for beginning of the week. She also gave me a heads up that if I pass the phone round, I would be scheduled for a face to face interview the following day. Wow, so definitely felt like there was a sense of urgency on their part as to bringing a new hire on board. Was surprised though that there was no in house recruiter that would be conducting the interview, which is usually pretty typical. Prepped like crazy and felt good to go. Phone interview with DM was great - went really well. Lasted for 30 minutes and was pretty standard, question-wise. At the end of the conversation the DM said she would like to meet with me the following morning at 9am along with another DM for a face to face. Then I received an interview confirmation email from the in house recruiter, who now was in the game.

Was nervous and excited, as I really wanted this job. I am a seasoned sales rep with over 4 years of big pharma experience as well as 2 additional years of healthcare sales experience, so I felt fairly confident going into the interview. The interview lasted 90 minutes and it was the most grueling and bizarre interview I have ever experienced. Bombarded by questions from both DM's who seemed to have this weird, sarcastic, high-five-ing, good cop/bad cop routine going on. All STAR questions, which I didn't have too much trouble with, but they really tried to wear me down it seemed. When the interview was nearing the end and I began to close them - one of the DM's said to the other - did she just close? I think I missed it. Really insulting. Then the other DM tried to feed me lines and said - ask him if he will recommend you as the number one candidate, which I did, to humor her - and she said, Alright - she's coachable. I got a really strange vibe from the whole meeting. They did say that they would be making a decision at the end of the week when I asked about timeline and I would hear back from the in house recruiter in exactly a week. Neither DM would give me their business card, but I had one of the DM's email from her outreach, so sent her a thank you email and hand delivered a thank you to the hotel where the other DM was staying. Waited 2 weeks - nothing as to my status. Emailed recruiter and he said position was still open. Waited another 2 weeks - nothing. Emailed recruiter again - nothing. Emailed DM to follow up - nothing back. It has been over 5 weeks and I have heard nothing back. Really Eli Lilly??? Just plain rude. Just a simple email with a yes or a no, as promised, as a simple courtesy, is all that I am asking.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something complicated that you recently have learned.   Answer Question

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Eli Lilly.

Personality test first, if you don't pass, you can't re apply for 6 months. Want tot make sure you are a true sales person I think. Then phone screen to make sure you can communicate and don't seem crazy. Then 1 face to face with 2 managers, STAR format, experiences, just chatting, very comfortable. Dress conservative, make them enjoy spending time with you. Patient focus is KEY, team work is also key, and work/life balance. After interview, had a few phone conversations with hiring manager to get to know me a little better on a personal level.

Interview Questions
    • What areas can you improve on in your current position?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, just took the job!

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Eli Lilly in June 2014.

I applied online, then someone called to schedule the phone interview. The phone interview was very professional and it lasted about 30 minutes. I was told I would make it to the face to face interview with the hiring manager. About one week later I had the face to face interview with three district managers. Pretty easy interview. I expected a lot of STAR questions, but didn't get any. Definately not what I expected from a pharmaceutical interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Eli Lilly in April 2014.

Took an online assessment/ personality test after submitting my cover letter and resume. Took two weeks to get back to me about the interview. I was referred by a family friend who has been working for the company for a very long time. Don't worry too much about the personality test but it's definitely better to pass it. The biggest thing is having sales experience, some exposure to the medical field or office in the past. They want someone with a lot of experience, doesn't matter how awesome and young you are.

Interview Questions
    • What are some projects your worked on in college?   View Answer

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application followed by online test (about an hour). Contacted by recruiter scheduling a phone interview. Lasted about 15 minutes. Contacted by another and scheduled face to face interview with 3 district managers. Lasted about an hour. Said followup will be in one to two weeks

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to change someone's opinion to fit your own?   Answer Question

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Eli Lilly.

I applied for a position online and once submitted received an email to complete a screening questionnaire. Approximately a week later, I received an email to schedule a phone interview with a hiring recruiter. Phone interview was pretty basic, I was asked general questions about my resume and why I was interested in a position in pharmaceutical sales. At the completion of the phone interview, the recruiter said she was going to recommend that I move forward in the interview process. The recruiter did not have any information regarding when the in-person interview would be held, but told me I would be contacted within 2 weeks with details. Within the two weeks, I received an email from another individual to schedule my in-person interview. The interview was held at a local hotel and lasted approximately 1 hour. Panel interview consisted of three people, and while the questions could have been tough, it was nothing I didn’t expect because I had done research on potential questions that would be asked. Following my interview, the hiring manger stated that everyone would be notified within one week of their status. The following week, I received an email from the hiring manager that I was selected for a final interview and if I would be available to meet him at a local Panera to further discuss the position. The final interview lasted about an hour, and the hiring manger stated the purpose was to learn more about my thought process and see if I would fit in with the region’s team. During this interview, the hiring manager went into greater detail about the position and the company’s bonus structure. I was only asked a few questions and they were pretty tough. The following week I received a call from the hiring manger that he had went with one of the other finalists who had more experience in the industry.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Eli Lilly.

Phone screen from recruiter, Face to Face Interview with District Manager, Panel Interview with 3 managers, Final interview with Manager.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most competitive thing you did last week that wasn't related to work?   View Answer
    Manager informed me that there was no room for negotiation, that the salary came from HR. Other reps commented that that wasn't their same experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Eli Lilly in July 2012.

Seemingly streamlined, and likely that is the belief on the inside. After you complete the enormous online profile and take the time consuming assessment, you are then contacted contacted via email and or phone to arrange for a "phone screen" with a 3rd party screening company. This is pure luck of the draw in whom you speak with. Very generic questions on job history, why pharma, explanation of process and position. If selected, you will then be contacted via email to select a date and time from a list for a face to face interview. The face to face was with 3 people. Two regional managers and one sales rep. The questioning was a walk thru the resume, explanation of each of there own personal history at Lilly, and then various other "why do you want to be in Pharma sales" type questions. One of the managers was a bit over the top in questioning. Based on my prior professional experiences, the questions were "loaded", and skewed to the point of not being answerable. Questions regarding the working dynamic and norms within the industry,company and position. All things one gathers thru experience, much like I suspect he did as well.