Ellie Mae

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

Senior Interaction Designer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ellie Mae in January 2013.

Interview Details – After a pleasant, collegial interview with a very competent-seeming hiring manager, I was invited to a second interview with a larger team. I was given an exercise to prepare in advance (suggest revisions to a series of pages) and also show examples of projects where I had faced design challenges and how I addressed them. Both of these took some time to prepare.

Almost half the hour allotted went to set-up, unfortunately. The first projector we tried would not accept a signal; the second washed all color from the projected images. One participant was participating remotely, so time also went into getting hooked into their wireless and setting up GoToMeeting.

Meanwhile, it seems, senior managers invited were fuming. The mood was combative and critical from the start. One kept latching onto design details and expressing disdain for my explanations. It had been a while since I completed the complex projects shown, but I was expected to instantly remember the thinking that went into every detail. Criticism of design is of course an integral part of the process, but there are ways to go about design reviews that are constructive and not insulting, particularly when someone has been asked to prepare something on their own time. What they thought of my response to their design exercise (sent in advance) was never mentioned.

Soon after this grilling concluded, someone from HR showed up to say that the people I was supposed to talk to next had “been pulled into meetings” (this had been supposed to be a 3-hour process.)

The recruiters who got me into this, extremely solicitous beforehand, stopped communicating.

A thoroughly unpleasant waste of time.

Interview Question – "Why does the design not show how the company is protected from employees who misuse this application?"   Answer Question

Worked for Ellie Mae? Contribute to the Community!