Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at Ellington Management GroupMore
Helpful (2)Declined OfferAverage InterviewDeclined OfferAverage Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks – interviewed at Ellington Management Group.
Ellington is well-respected in the mortgage-backed security space and has attempted to branch into other hedge fund businesses like stat arb. Typical of hedge funds, Ellington has smart people but they aren't the best managers. The interview process seemed disorganized and protracted.
- There are N stockpiles of fuel stored at different locations on a circular racetrack. The N stockpiles vary in size but in total contain enough fuel for your car to make one lap around the track. Prove that for any N and any combination of stockpile sizes, there is at least one location on the track where you can begin and complete a full lap. Answer Question
- We are playing a game that involves three doors, numbered 1 to 3. The game involves two stages. You must pay 1 dollar to play the first stage and 1 dollar to play the second stage. In the first stage I hide Y dollars behind one of the three doors. You then guess which door the money is behind and if you are correct, you keep the money. If you are incorrect, I will tell you if the door number is higher or lower than the one you chose. (A) What is your optimal strategy assuming I hide the money randomly and what is the minimum Y required to get you to play the game? (B) Assuming you do not deviate from your optimal strategy, what does my optimal strategy become? (C) What is your response? (D) What is the equilibrium strategy and expected loss of the game? 1 Answer
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult InterviewAccepted OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at Ellington Management Group.
Lots of technical questions, a few brainteasers. Be expected to explain holes in your resume and answer detailed questions about your past job experience and projects. The interviewers had a deep understanding of securitized products, programming, and modeling.
- I didn't really difficult interview questions- I found the technical questions to be not too difficult, and most of the interview was spent discussing potential roles at the company. Answer Question
- Declined OfferPositive ExperienceEasy InterviewDeclined OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks – interviewed at Ellington Management Group (Greenwich, CT) in February 2013.
One on-campus interview, which was followed with an on-site about 2.5 weeks later. Heard back within a week of the on-site. Was notified of the on-site offer and the eventual offer by email. The people there seemed decently intelligent, and everyone seemed to love the place, citing the open, collaborative environment. Everyone seemed really nice and friendly, I got an overall good impression.
- What is something interesting you have learned in your classes that changed the way you think? 1 Answer
Reasons for Declining
I actually haven't made a decision yet, because I'm still waiting to hear from another firm. The pay is kind of low for a trading internship, and the location isn't ideal. The other place would pay significantly more and is located in NYC, but I did really like Ellington. I'm not sure what I will ultimately decide.