Elon University Interview Questions

2.2

Student Worker Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Elon University.

Go to the student employment website and check for openings, specifically before the school year starts. Once the semester has already started, many jobs will already be occupied. The exception is Campus Rec, which holds a job fair shortly after school starts. If their is a opening, you can either submit an application online, or you would have to pick up a copy at the job site. You will normally have at least one interview, you will at least two or three if you apply for Campus Rec.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in five years? It is not a hard question now since I am out of school. But very difficult when I was a freshman.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, everyone is paid the same.

Instructional Technology/AV Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Elon University.

This position was within Elon Law School. From the date that the position stopped accepting applications to the date they gave me my final disposition took 3 months. It took a month to receive an invitation for an initial Skype interview. The interview was with their "hiring committee" and consisted of the standard interview questions. After the Skype interview was completed I was asked to come for a face-to-face interview the following week. This interview took 4 hours and included talking with faculty, staff and students. I was also asked to prepare and give a 30 minute presentation on some type of educational technology (very little instructions were provided for this part).

Everyone seemed very professional and experienced. The staff and faculty were friendly and seemed vested in the person who was going to be taking this position. I was given the opportunity, at the end of the interview, to ask questions about the job and details. The benefits seemed competitive with other similar institutions but answers to question of pay were confusing. When asked about the pay compensation, the reply was "Well, we pay lower than most other higher education institutions. You are hourly, so it will be low 20s." It was not specified if this was low $20k/year or low $20/hour... I tend to think low $20k/year, somewhere in the range of $12/hour.

After the face-to-face interview my references were all contacted within 3 weeks. After my last reference was contacted, I emailed the position contact (that I had been in contact with since the first interview) and reiterated my interest in the job and inquired whether they had an updated time table for the rest of the interview process. I received no reply after two weeks. So I emailed the contact again, thanking them for being a possible candidate for their position and letting them know that anything additional they need from me I would provide. Another week and a half went by without a reply from the interview contact. I finally got an HR automated email saying that I was no longer being considered for the position.

Overall the process seemed entirely too drawn out for the position and requirements. The staff and faculty were very professional when I met them face-to-face but I would have liked to get a reply to the multiple emails that I sent to the job contact (almost a month with no replies). I feel that the lack of reply displayed a fair amount of unprofessionalism for a person tasked with hiring and welcoming applicants and new hires into a position.

Interview Questions
    • How would you interact with faculty members in order for them to understand that integrating technology into their lessons could be beneficial?   View Answer

Technology Interview

Needlessly long and complicated given the fact that Elon hires based on degree and the ability to manipulate.

Studio Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elon College, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elon College, NC

I applied in-person – interviewed at Elon University in February 2012.

No interview. If there is an opening, supervisor will ask potential candidates if they are interested

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't an interview and the supervisor is very nice   Answer Question
    no interview

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Elon University in September 2010.

Hiring was a breeze. There is a lot of turnover and it seems that they are always looking to fill positions for adjuncts

Assistant Director, Career Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elon, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elon, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Elon University in May 2008.

The job was posted online on the employer's website and on NACEWeb. About 1 month after applying, I received a phone call for a quick 15 minute phone interview with one of the assistant deans at the school who was on the hiring committee. A short few days later, an invitation to come down to the school for a day-long interview was received via email. Upon acceptance, arrangements were made within a few days for an interview date. The interview was a full day from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. It started off with coffee with one of the hiring committee members -- this was just an informal chat about how I got to be interested in career counseling and what the position entailed and what to expect for the rest of the day. This was followed by about 3 more 1-on-1 interviews with the dean, the supervisor I would be working directly under, and the supervisor's direct supervisor. The interviews all went extremely well except for the supervisor I would have been working for -- considering that he was the director of career services, he did a very poor job of interviewing me and I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt as he himself had only joined the school 3 weeks prior. However, I also took his behavior as red flag. He hadn't read my resume, and had to ask me 2-3 times what my name was in the interview. He asked me where I was working...which obviously is also on my resume. Then his cell phone rang and he answered it and proceeded to have a 30-45 second conversation with his wife. Extremely poor etiquette for an apparent "professional" who does career development for a living! Then he kept bragging about what a great director he is and said all these catch phrases like "i don't abdicate, I advocate!" After my interview with him, I interviewed with his supervisor, who was very nice but she ended up saying, verbatim, all the same catch phrases that described her supervising style...exact same wording! I don't know who's words were who's, but my gut feeling is telling me that the director of career services copied them from her. So I left that interview feeling like my prospective direct supervisor was a fraud. These interviews were followed by a group lunch interview with other career services staff and a few professors...this was more easy-going and relaxed, but still there were a lot of questions on what my ideas were for the career services office, how outreach to students could be done better, marketing ideas, etc. After lunch was a campus tour led by one of their students. Then there was a short break to relax, freshen up for a bit. Then a final interview with the chair of the hiring committee. Everything went extremely well and was very easy, it was just unfortunate the the director of career services was such a poor representative for the school and was seemingly problematic in his behavior. But otherwise, the folks at Elon are gracious and pleasant, very easy-going. I would have felt extremely comfortable working their. There was such great hospitality displayed. The director of career services is not from North Carolina...he's from Ohio or somewhere...so he obviously didn't have the hospitable nature like the other southerners that worked there. Elon's campus is also gorgeous and an ideal work environment. It's just too bad that the director of career services doesn't fit the culture and work ethic of Elon. But for anyone looking for better quality of life, keep an eye on this employer...and maybe look for something outside career services, until this director leaves.

Interview Questions
    • The position was focused on the career counseling for students in the college of arts and sciences...a pretty broad field. How would you cater your career counseling and programming efforts to students in the drama or other arts departments? (From the drama professor)   Answer Question
    • How would you go about getting more students involved in career programming?   Answer Question

I got the offer almost a day later...much quicker than I thought, as they had told me they still had one more interview later in the week. Two reasons I turned it down: 1) I was first and foremost concerned about the potential supervisor/director of career services I would be working for. I didn't buy his act. He seemed a little self-righteous and way too much of a kiss-up to the deans (obviously copying their own words to use in his interview with me); and 2) Elon's salary offer was 25% less than what I currently make. Granted I am in a larger city with a higher cost of living, and for that reason, I expected to take a pay cut, but not a 25% pay cut...I would have accepted if it were maybe 10-12% of cut. I don't care what the cost of living is...I worked hard to get to the salary level I am at now and feel that their offer didn't match assistant director title and responsibilties that came with it.

Visiting Assistant Professor Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Elon University in January 2012.

I was called by the chair of the search committee to schedule a date for the interview. After that, there was several back and forth communication about how to get to the campus, what to expect, the schedule for the day of my interview and other information. When I arrived on campus, I was met in the parking lot where a spot had been reserved for me. I was escorted into the building. There were a series of meetings after that. The first with an administrator, then the department chair, then another administrator, followed by an interview with the search committee and a meeting with students. There was lunch on campus with faculty members followed by more meetings, teaching and research presentations, more meetings with administrators and an interview with the dean and finally dinner with department folks from faculty to administrators. The questions focused on how I would assume a leadership position in my field, how I would introduce various concepts throughout the department, and where I hoped to be in 5-7 yrs and then in 10 yrs.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 10 yrs--this is not the most common benchmark that gets asked about in an academic trajectory. It's usually the 5-7 mark when the correct answer is 'tenured, conducting research, enjoying a strong publishing record and teaching and mentoring students'   Answer Question