Elsevier

Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Sales Manager Interview

Product Sales Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Elsevier in April 2010.

Interview Details – Took 6 weeks. Negotiated higher salary to later learn I was underpaid.

Interview Question – Be prepared to answer off the cuff questions from your personality assessment.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hiring manager quit a week before my start date. Ended up being reshuffled around with no clear direction.

QA Analyst Interview

QA Analyst

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Elsevier.

Interview Details – Interview was via phone. One of the more "techie" folks was a bit overzealous. Most of it was talking about previous experience, tools used, etc... If you know your stuff, you won't have a problem.

Interview Question – There really wasn't any difficult of unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Multimedia Developer Interview

Multimedia Developer
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Elsevier in June 2010.

Interview Details – I applied and got a call within a week. I then panel interviewed with the potential manager, director, and potential co-worker. Interview was pretty easy. Describe my job history and how I would fit in.

Interview Question – none.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really negotiation just that they wouldn't go over a certain amount.

Multimedia Producer Interview

Multimedia Producer
Maryland Heights, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Elsevier in January 2014.

Interview Details – Elsevier reached out to me out of the blue. I had done contract work for them several years earlier and they were looking to fill a position similar to what I had done. I am currently employed but agreed to a phone interview with their recruiter out of New York. The recruiter then scheduled me to interview in person with the multimedia department. The Director of this department is the one who originally contacted me. I interviewed with two individual hiring managers, one of which I had previously worked with. The interview went well and I was told several times that I was a very strong candidate and they were glad their boss had reached out to me. At the interview conclusion I was told they would be in contact shortly to set up a time for me to meet with their boss. Again, that was who originally contacted me. A week went by with no word so I followed up. The response was that things were moving slower than expected but they would be in touch soon. Another week went by with nothing. I sent another follow up with no response. Yet another week went by. I sent another email and again no response. Three weeks later and multiple attempts to contact them, I finally received an email from the recruiter in New York that simply said......Oh, sorry for the delay in responding. We have offered the position to someone else. Thanks for your time.... I attempted to call the person who originally reached out to me about for feedback about what happened and nothing. No response. No phone call, email or even a simple acknowledgment to my messages. It was very frustrating and disappointing to say the least. Extremely rude and unprofessional. They contacted me, not the other way around.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Elsevier.

Interview Details – Pretty easy process - I had applied a few times before and I finally got an interview. Met with the Hiring Manager and the department VP.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Elsevier in June 2013.

Interview Details – The process started with a phone interview with the current program/project manager. After winning his trust, I was asked to speak with his team in-person at their office in downtown Philadelphia. I arrived, and no one knew where I was to be and the security desk was very unhelpful. Once I was sent in the right direction, I waited nearly 30 min past my appointment time for someone to acknowledge I had been sitting there. The interview was help with the the hiring manager, the current program/project manager, a potential colleague who was the development manager, and finally a developer.

Interview Question – How would you handle decision making when a your team is unavailable to help?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was pre-negotiated.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Elsevier.

Interview Details – Submitted resume and was contacted for a phone interview. Within a week I was called back for a face to face interview. I met with one person, the hiring manager, and spoke to that person for about an hour. It was very relaxed and conversational, with none of the less meaningful or trick questions - more just what have you done and how would that apply to this role. Within a week, I had an offer letter.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. This was more conversational, so some stuff about where I grew up, personal experiences, though nothing unprofessional.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We had already discussed salary and benefits, so there wasn't any negotiation at the offer stage. I already had a good idea of salary range for the job, so no surprises. Keep in mind that raises can be hard to come by here, so get what you can up front.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Miamisburg, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Elsevier.

Interview Details – Usually a phone screen with some basic technical questions. My job uses J2EE so the questions will be Java and Java-stack oriented. Followup in-person interview will be more detailed technical questions. They usually only hire Senior engineers so be prepared to answer broad questions related to design patterns, performance and scalability, various J2EE-related tools (Struts/Stripes, Hibernate, Tomcat, etc.).

Interview Question – Was asked to do pseudo-code to solve a math-based problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They are slightly flexible on pay but not on benefits.

Senior Developer Interview

Senior Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Elsevier.

Interview Details – Two interviews, one very professional, the other haphazard. The first interview was with a knowledgeable manager with whom I discussed the overall product and what they were looking for. The second interview was with a less experienced tech lead, who came prepared with off-the-shelf tech interview questions. The second interview didn't seem necessary, and was not a good use of our times.

Interview Question – "Describe a difficult problem and how you solved it." Although this is an unoriginal and dull question, it is still presents a challenge to answer. Difficult problems and their solutions rarely can be described in a few sentences.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Not a good fit.

Product Sales Manager Interview

Product Sales Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Elsevier in May 2013.

Interview Details – First interviewed with HR, then hiring manager. Then came back with a couple more interviews with senior people. Finally third round involved a presentation and meeting the VP. Rounded off with an assessment test.

Interview Question – Fairly standard questions, was asked about authors that I liked to read, which was unusual   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Had a week of negotiations to get a slight increase on the base pay and holiday

Worked for Elsevier? Contribute to the Community!