Emerson Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

2.9

Market Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Emerson.

I got this interview because someone passed my resume to the hiring manager and they saw a fit based on my background. So they directly bring me in to the in-person interview without phone interview or sth. Interview was not hard, most conversational. They show you their product and ask for your ideas.

User Interface Test Co-op Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Emerson.

Scheduled this interview a day after the Spring Engineering Career Fair at Penn State. Interview was held on-campus. Interviewed (and spoke with during the career fair) with an engineer from the Marshalltown, Iowa location. Started off with their standard HR form, then had me elaborate on my background, a couple of personality/situational questions, a couple of skills/conceptual questions, then I asked some questions about life at Emerson. Got a request for a second-round interview a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Given two hexadecimal numbers, bitwise and and or them and return the results in hexadecimal.

Write a function that prints the numbers 1 through 100.

Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Emerson.

I was scheduled for an interview immediately but they rescheduled on me twice. I was asked very generic questions and when I asked questions back I was referred to the website although there was no relevance to what I was trying to understand about the position. I was then never contacted back to inform me if there would be a follow up although one was promised. After unsuccessfully attempting follow up contact I came to the conclusion that there was no offer forthcoming.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. Where will you be in 5 years. Why should we hire you. All generic non relevant questions for a senior executive position.   Answer Question

Electronics Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marshalltown, IA
    Anonymous Employee in Marshalltown, IA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Emerson in February 2015.

Spoke with HR over the phone, and was shortly after flown out for an interview. The interview day was very long and tiring. Had 9 1:1 interviews, all of which were the same thing - questions about my resume and experience. Besides the interviews, had a 5 question test in the lab. The test's goal was to check my ability to read schematics, and work with testing equipment.

Interview Questions
    • Given a op-amp, find the Vo as a function of Vin. Had to solve on the board.   Answer Question
    • Write a function that outputs the maximum number in an array. Choose any programming language.   Answer Question

Electrical Design Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Emerson.

My interview was very specific, as the organization on my particular location was just started. I contacted directly the business unit in another country, pass an interview there and then come back in my country for a second interview. So I pass two interviews, one face to face 1:1 with HR manager, plant manager, direct manager, technical director of the business unit I suppose to work for, and then a second interview in my country with HR manager, local organisation director and direct manager.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult working/relationship situation & your attitude towards this situation.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Emerson.

I was interview by the marketing director. The interview questions were not typical HR questions and seemed to be randomly asked. Most of them related to my past working experience and industry experience. The interviewer also gave me opportunity to ask a few questions. I felt my answers were OK but I was not accepted in the end.

Real-time Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Emerson in December 2014.

Had a 1/2 hour phone screen - a little tough, but nothing unusual

Then, the on-site interview - From 8:15 in morning to 4:45 in afternoon. They did take me to a nice lunch for about an hour.

They did a lab/building tour (nice), and overall I interviewed with 7 people each for about 1/2 hour, though with the hiriing manager twice, so 1 hour total with him (Brandon).

Unfortunately, due to the work they do (they require a week long background check if I'd been selected), they wouldn't give me much information on their software except at a very high level.

Lots of technical questions (nothing wrong about that, just *lots* of them). Also, lots of coding exercises, 4 on a laptop, and at least 10-20 on paper. Also, lots of "what's wrong with this code" questions.

The usual people questions like - what's your greatest weakness? When was a bad experience you had and how did you deal with it? What assignment did you dislike the most, and why?

Interview Questions
    • The ones that I struggled with were the puzzle questions Apparently my son said everyone at school (college) knows about one I was asked, but I hadn't heard it.

Another one I struggled with, mainly because of the time pressure was math calculation questions - haven't done this type of stuff since college, long ago.

Also, thought experiment - how to find out X number of things in the US (not something easily researhed or googled).

View Answer

Valve Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Emerson in November 2014.

I went through a headhunting company. Received my first interview with one employee and it went well. Called me for a second interview at their location. Interviewed by four employees at the same time. It was pretty relaxed; they all were really nice. They asked many questions in fast succession about various skills/scenarios. After the interview, I was shown around the facilities.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strong points and/or weak points.   View Answer

Automation Control Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Emerson in November 2014.

Initially was called and invited to second round interviews in Houston. Had a phone screen with one of the technical managers. Second round interview consisted of breakfast, presentation about Emerson, introductions from interviewers, then four individual interviews. Six candidates were brought on site. After the interviews there was a tour of the facility and lunch.
    I was called the next day and not extended a position. The senior recruiter invited me to interview at Baton Rouge, an additional office of the GCEC. I accepted the opportunity and was extended an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What was your favorite class?   View Answer
    • Describe a time you failed and how you handled it.   View Answer
    • What do you like to do in your spare time?   View Answer

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Emerson in November 2014.

Applied online, took around 3 weeks for them to contact me, then they asked me for a group interview wih other engineers of the company. The interview was 45 minutes long, plus I was not the only person that was being interviewed the same day, I had to wait for my turn. The engineers were really nice and friendly, they try their best in order to make you comfortable through the all interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly JAVA questions... what is the name the extension of a java application file?? what it is the difference between a Vector and a Hashmap??? some logical questions like.. if you have two classes in your application and want to read from a file at the same time on both of them how would you do it?? also if you two classes that reads from the same file how would you deal or prevent them to access the same file at the same time?? what would you implement?   Answer Question