Emerson Process Management

Updated Feb 5, 2015
Updated Feb 5, 2015

2.9

I applied online – interviewed at Emerson Process Management.

I was scheduled for an interview immediately but they rescheduled on me twice. I was asked very generic questions and when I asked questions back I was referred to the website although there was no relevance to what I was trying to understand about the position. I was then never contacted back to inform me if there would be a follow up although one was promised. After unsuccessfully attempting follow up contact I came to the conclusion that there was no offer forthcoming.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. Where will you be in 5 years. Why should we hire you. All generic non relevant questions for a senior executive position.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Emerson Process Management.

I was interview by the marketing director. The interview questions were not typical HR questions and seemed to be randomly asked. Most of them related to my past working experience and industry experience. The interviewer also gave me opportunity to ask a few questions. I felt my answers were OK but I was not accepted in the end.

Real-time Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Emerson Process Management in December 2014.

Had a 1/2 hour phone screen - a little tough, but nothing unusual

Then, the on-site interview - From 8:15 in morning to 4:45 in afternoon. They did take me to a nice lunch for about an hour.

They did a lab/building tour (nice), and overall I interviewed with 7 people each for about 1/2 hour, though with the hiriing manager twice, so 1 hour total with him (Brandon).

Unfortunately, due to the work they do (they require a week long background check if I'd been selected), they wouldn't give me much information on their software except at a very high level.

Lots of technical questions (nothing wrong about that, just *lots* of them). Also, lots of coding exercises, 4 on a laptop, and at least 10-20 on paper. Also, lots of "what's wrong with this code" questions.

The usual people questions like - what's your greatest weakness? When was a bad experience you had and how did you deal with it? What assignment did you dislike the most, and why?

Interview Questions
    • The ones that I struggled with were the puzzle questions Apparently my son said everyone at school (college) knows about one I was asked, but I hadn't heard it.

Another one I struggled with, mainly because of the time pressure was math calculation questions - haven't done this type of stuff since college, long ago.

Also, thought experiment - how to find out X number of things in the US (not something easily researhed or googled).

View Answer

Quality Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Emerson Process Management in November 2014.

Two initial phone screenings. Once they narrow down 6-12 final candidates, they will do in person interviews. Competition is fierce, but company is reputable for the area and very desirable. I interviewed with five different people. The first four took it very serious and were detailed with many scenario specific questions. The final interviewer appeared to have somewhere else he needed to be, so didn’t take the interview serious. However, this was close to lunch time and may have been a scheduling issues with HR. Even though I did not land this position, the interview process at this company was very educational and good window into how they preform day to day business.

Valve Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Emerson Process Management in November 2014.

I went through a headhunting company. Received my first interview with one employee and it went well. Called me for a second interview at their location. Interviewed by four employees at the same time. It was pretty relaxed; they all were really nice. They asked many questions in fast succession about various skills/scenarios. After the interview, I was shown around the facilities.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strong points and/or weak points.   View Answer

Automation Control Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Emerson Process Management in November 2014.

Initially was called and invited to second round interviews in Houston. Had a phone screen with one of the technical managers. Second round interview consisted of breakfast, presentation about Emerson, introductions from interviewers, then four individual interviews. Six candidates were brought on site. After the interviews there was a tour of the facility and lunch.
    I was called the next day and not extended a position. The senior recruiter invited me to interview at Baton Rouge, an additional office of the GCEC. I accepted the opportunity and was extended an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What was your favorite class?   View Answer
    • Describe a time you failed and how you handled it.   View Answer
    • What do you like to do in your spare time?   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Initial phone interview had basic behavior questions. Why I was interested in working at the company? Why was I a good fit? What was I interested in doing?

Next interview was "technical" with my manager. Mostly asking questions about my resume and explaining specific projects I was on. Some questions pertaining to C# nothing too difficult.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Emerson Process Management.

I had an initial phone screen with the hiring manager for a senior software engineer position. He called me in for onsite. When I got there I was told that 2 different groups decided to interview me (pleasant surprise). I liked both groups. Met with 2 managers, 6 team members of which 2 guys took me to lunch. Most interviewers (1-on-1 interview) started with questions about background and then went into some technical details there on. There were few questions about dual core processors SMP, AMP, semaphores, mutexes etc. Another person asked some questions about C++ Object Oriented design (pseudo code - he didn't care much about actual coding). The HR promised to call and let me know in a week's time but it got delayed a bit because some people went on vacation. They finally came back with a better pay rate than I expected and higher position than I had originally applied for (I had to go an submit application for another position).

Interview Questions
    • None that I remember. I was honest if I didn't know any answer.   Answer Question

Marketing Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Emerson Process Management in August 2014.

I knew someone that worked inside the company and they passed my resume along. I think that really helped me to secure an interview. I did have a solid resume for the position as well. I interviewed with the marketing managers, marketing director, and the engineers. Most of the people were very laid back. Some of the managers were polar opposites on how they gave questions to me. It was overall a decent interview process. It did take a half of a day.

Interview Questions
    • Each different interviewer gave me a different question. Nothing was difficult for me to answer because I spent about 8 hours prepping for all the interviews. I nailed a lot of the questions with solid experience stories.   Answer Question
    They claim you cannot negotiate here. I left my previous salary blank and then when she called and asked me questions about it, I was then able to just ask her the range. I was much higher at my previous company, so I was able to leverage that into the offer they did give me. So they did give me an offer ont he high end of the range plus a sign on bonus. So that was nice. They will not negotiate any additional vacation time.

Engineer I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Emerson Process Management.

Applied on-line and received a phone call to set up an interview with HR. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes. Most of it was HR explaining the position and what the company does, and questions about me and my resume. A few "HR" type questions, as well (name a time when .... ). At the end, was told the time frame they were working with and I would hear back on a certain day if I was selected for the next round of interviews.