Emerson Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 4, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Emerson.

Interview

First they call and talk to you about your resume for about 30 mins, not any hard questions, they are just trying to get a feel as to what experience you have.

After that screening they schedule an interview.
The interview lasts about 4 hours, they ask a lot of question and ask you to do some basic algorithms, and they want to see how logically you think.
Then they take you out to lunch.

Interview Questions

• If you have an linked list with certain values, how can you tell what the highest value is of the list, whether there is a push or a pull.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Emerson

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

Initial phone interview had basic behavior questions. Why I was interested in working at the company? Why was I a good fit? What was I interested in doing?

Next interview was "technical" with my manager. Mostly asking questions about my resume and explaining specific projects I was on. Some questions pertaining to C# nothing too difficult.

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Emerson (Sunrise, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

Initial interview with recruiter followed by a grueling 6 simultaneous technical and non technical interview done in one afternoon. Questions were random since the 6 interviewers were not in the room at the same time. One coming after the other with a different interview approach. Overall it was very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• We like you but you do not possess the experience we required, are you willing to take a step back and accept a lower position with lower pay?   Answer Question

Pay is too low - 20K off advertised amount.

Anonymous Employee in Binghamton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Emerson (Binghamton, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to schedule an interview about a month later. I met with the head of engineering then three people that worked in the software engineering department. They were all very kind and enthusiastic.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Emerson in November 2013.

Interview

Initial application through the company website. Got an email a few days later with the standard rejection.

Several weeks later got a call from the an emerson recruiter asking if I was interested in another available position. Confirmed interest and arranged a 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager.

Phone screen interview with the hiring manager consisted of some standard behavioural questions, a few about software development processes and a few knowledge based technical questions from the manager - abstract class versus java interface etc. how do you approach chunking up work for a big problem. He went on to describe the role and what they were doing. Got a canned rejection email a few days later .

About 6 weeks later get a call from the recruiter inviting for a whole day onsite interview for the same position (not sure why after getting the rejection email - forgot to ask the recruiter).

Onsite interview was a all day affair. 30 mins meet the with the whole team in a conference room and they ask general questions based on your resume. Then 45-60 min sessions with 4 people and a one hour coding skills interview where you are given a laptop and type out answers to a lot of questions - no discussions, just code a whole slew of them, find factorial, find N prime numbers, etc.

The 1-1 45-60 min session consisted of people coming in a list of prepared questions. Some of them were pleasant and we had a good conversation about the problem questions that they had on their list. But some of them were trying to get through their list of questions as fast as possible not really trying to have a discussion. A lot of it was mostly knowledge based questions about networking. Some were odd ball ones like puzzles. Question about implementing a function call in assembly, virtual memory mapping to physical memory, OOD questions etc. in general all over the map.

4 weeks later still no feedback about candidature - no rejection email either. Tried pinging the recruiter - no response. Have moved on and accepted another position in the meanwhile.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult. Lots of knowledge based questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Marshalltown, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Emerson (Marshalltown, IA) in September 2011.

Interview

Interview was set up at a Career Fair, gentleman I talked to led me to believe that the interview would be with the Emerson parent company. Interviewed with a different gentleman working for Fisher explicitly (control valves). Interview started off well, I had experience with the line of TI micro controllers he used (MSP valueline).

Interviewer was dressed in casual attire, Polo and slacks. Prompted me for questions about the company multiple times. Took approx. 30 min. Not a lot of technical questions. More interested in previous project experiences than technical knowledge.

I inquired about opportunities outside of Fisher, and he seemed to become upset. He told me he was recruiting for Fisher only.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes an array as the only parameter, and returns an array of the same values in reverse order. Any language, must compile.   1 Answer
    • Talk about a time when you worked in a group with one or more people when they didn't complete their independent objectives.

Followup was how did you handle it.

Answer Question

Didn't get an offer from the area I was applying for.

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Emerson (Sunrise, FL) in June 2010.

Interview

Set up a phone interview through email. Took about 2 days between email and phone interview. More informal technical questions with the main concern being domain design. The position was responsible for designing a multi user domain for a new product that was a merger of two companies by Emmerson, their parent. Described my experience with user domain design and other projects.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Emerson in November 2014.

Interview

it was a campus recruitment...written test containing aptitude java and pl/sql..mostly aptitude 20 questions from rs aggarwal.. after a week they called for interview in the company..three rounds of interviews each time two persons to interrogate..they ask u very basic database queries and hr at the same time..30 students were shortlisted after written test and 7 were selected.. i was not selected :)

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I have registered through NAUKRI. I got directly call from Emerson Network Power .

Interview process has below process:-
    One Telephone
    Two F -F Technical interview
    One HR Round

Techincal Round:-
    Bit Manipulation
    Structure Padding
    Linked list programming

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It looks like they don't care for their employees. At the first interview I was told they work long hours and whether this is OK for me. Once I asked what it means , there was no clear answer. It looks like the management measures their success with the hours that made their employees stay extra at the office.