Emirates

Updated Oct 26, 2014

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Emirates in September 2014.

I applied online and was invited to participate in an interview at a hotel in a major city. The trip was costly and time-consuming, but I felt it was an opportunity not to be missed.

Interview Questions
    • The questions that the applicants were given were superficial and unimportant (e.g. give a nontraditional use for a common item, like a paper bag.)

The real job assessment was based on their observations of how the applicants reacted to the situations that the employers set up.

For example:

Before the first round, the organizers set out fewer chairs than needed for the number of applicants involved.

The applicants were all given a number. When the first round of applicants were called to take seats by number, some realized there weren't enough chairs.

The clever ones went to get more chairs for those who were standing. Others found their seats quickly and stayed seated. Once everyone was seated and ready, they were asked to answer silly questions, not realizing that that the organizer had already decided who was to be cut.

Those who graciously gave up their seat were allowed to go the next round - only 5 of the 20. Those who sat ahead of others, or were oblivious to the shortage of chairs, were cut.

The entire interview process involved these kinds of tricks.

This so-called interview does not seem a very professional, or effective way, to vet the best applicants.

It's a lot to invited applicants to travel far distances for an interview, and then to dash their hopes without actually providing a fair and honest assessment of the applicant's skills, knowledge and abilities for the job.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Emirates in July 2014.

Long, long process
    On the INTERVIEW DAYS(FIRST DAY/CV Submission) :

When the clock tick till 8.45 am, the interviewers will be entering the room to check the crowds and try to arrange the queue( depending on the crowds and separate it into batches)

Then, the interviewers will introduce themselves, explaining the SCHEDULE and what to wear/ to bring if you’re shortlisted on the next day. They will distribute a summary of the emirates cabin crew in paper form and an application form which we just have to fill in some common details (e.g names, highest qualification, languages, phone number and etc.)

Make sure you fill it in a BLACK PEN and BLOCK LETTER, also make sure the phone number is accurate as they will call you once you’re shortlisted. Write your reference ID for your ONLINE APPLICATION ID on the top of the right corner column.

They will then start collecting the CV/Resume(ONLY CV/ Resume * others are not require and they will not accept on the day), both of your passport size and full-length photo also the small paper they gave to you. (tips : though they might say it’s okay not to have the photos or if you did not complete the ONLINE APPLICATION, but trust me, these are essential! So make sure you completed all!)

After the submission, you are free to go and wait for the call.(They will let you know by when before the submission starts). The call is about 15seconds length and they will INFORM you about the candidate number you hold for the next day. If there is no call, I’m sorry to say that “Please TRY AGAIN!”

On the ASSESSMENT DAY (SECOND DAY):

At 8.50 am, the interviewers will gather all of us and distribute the name according to the numbers and make sure you’re there! They will then ask you to enter the room where they will explain the process of the day and do some briefing regarding with living in Dubai and Emirates Airlines.

Once you’re in the room, they will begin the day with a group discussion while doing the arm-reach test (212cm) and asking if you have any visible tattoo or scars. You have to be partnered with your mates who are sitting next to you. They will distribute a card which might be a tree, tomatoes, hanger or anything for you to discuss with your mates. Each of us to come out with an idea. (Mind that for those who fail the arm-reach test will be sent off immediately).

After finishing the arm-reach, they will swap into different group to evaluate our presentation. During the presentation, remember to greet, mention your number and name, as well as your partner and the topic you’re going to present. Make it first, second and third points, be clear and maintain your eye contact as well as your smile.

They will then ask us to wait out there as they try to eliminate some of us. We will receive a letter according to the numbers in which says “Congratulation…” or “Thank you…” For those who MANAGE to go for second stage will have to take the English test and for those who are unsuccessful, please kindly try again after 6 months.

The English test will be an hour long and it has 40 questions of the multiples choice and an essay to write. The essay can be about yourself (weakness and strengths/what was the most regretful thing you have done and etc). Make sure you write the point and it has to be a valid answer. Again, after the test, you will be receiving the letter of “Congratulations..” or “Thank you..”

Each group has to come out with a solution and present it to the interviewers.(The presentation will be done by using role playing method) During the discussion, you have to talk assertively with your mates and contribute some ideas as they will know if you’re not. Also, be a time keeper as time MANAGEMENT is important for a cabin crew when you’re on-board. (tips :Remain calm and be professional.)

Again, by the end of the day, you will receive either “Congratulations…” or “Thank you…” Of course for those who are able to make it through, you are honored to attend for the last 1 on 1 interview J For those who are not able to make it, please kindly reminded you are eligible to APPLY after 6 months. Please bear in mind that if you fail the last interview ( 1 on 1), you might have to wait for a year to re-apply it

Interview Questions
    • the group sessions
      we were asked to complete different tasks
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Emirates in June 2014.

I went to their walk-in Open Day.
    You need to prepare:
    One 2''x2'' passport photo ( I took it myself in front of a white wall)
    One full-length photo ( I made it 4'' x 6'', I took it myself too)
    One resume

Most of the ladies there include me wore red lipstick. I've heard the rumor that in some cities there'll be more than 200 people attend, so didn't really anticipate to be selected. But there were only around 70 ppl showed up, which made me think that I might have the chance to get in!! The Open Day started at 9am. I arrived earlier and sat in the front rows in the room. There was only one recruiter for the whole time. She gave us a presentation about Emirates. She then asked lots of questions like : How do you know about Emirates? How do you know about Emirates cabin crew? How do you know about Dubai? This is the time you can raise your hand and impress the recruiter, I didn't expect this section so couldn't come up with answers. Remember to spend time doing research on Emirates and Dubai. The presentation is very detailed and she gave us many time to ask questions.

And then she told us to come to her one by one to give her your resume and photos. She will ask one or two questions. She spent longer time questioning on some people and for some very short. When I walked to her, I took the initiative to shake her hand, which other people didn't do. But I looked rather nervous, she asked about my language skill, and what I am doing right now, do you have any tattoo, and sent me away, my first day interview was very short and I thought that I might not be chosen. After submitting your materials, you are free to go, and she'll call those people who got chosen to attend the second day, which is an Assessment Day. I left around 11am and I got her call around 2 pm !! I was so excited and started to believe that maybe I can really make it!!

The second AD day started at 9am as well. When I arrived the room, there were many people who got chosen were sitting in the first two rows on the first day! The recruiter chose 28 people and 23 people showed up. Everyone got a number from 01~28.

We were divided into two groups and started the first round group interview. We sat in a circle, and the recruiter gave us a picture card for every two people. There're various objects on the card like chocolate, tree, and so on. You and your teammate had to discuss and come up with some ideas to use the object in an unconventional way. While discussing we were walked to have reaching 212cm test one by one, after reaching test, we face the recruiter one on one and she asked a couple questions. My question is: Tell me about yourself. After everybody finished the reaching test and short questions, we stood up one by one in the circle and introduce everyone about the object ideas. There's no right or wrong, they just want to see how you deliver a public speaking.

And then she asked us to have a group discuss: List five things LA can improve for the tourists. We had to come up with ideas and compile them into five clear points while the recruiter observing. So this is the first round. After both two group finished, she had us inside again. Everybody walked out the room with a piece of paper saying "Congratulation" or "Unfortunately". Some people left. I still remained.

The second round is English test for those who didn't have the U.S. high school degree, I am one of them. The test was not difficult. Multiple choices from reading articles and grammars. A couple people got eliminated from this round.

The third round. Now we only had 12 people left and divided into 2 groups. We sat in a circle again, and this time we were giving a scenario: You work in a hotel, because computer errors, there're not enough rooms available while some customers already confirmed their reservation. There are only two rooms and there're 8 customers, we have to choose two customers from 8 to give the rooms. There're various customers like: travel writer, parents with child. After we chose the two customers, the recruiter started to play the roles of other customers who didn't get the rooms. She acted angry customer one by one on us and we had to try to comfort her. This was so difficult! I guess I didn't have that much experience to handle it, and also because of nervous and speaking english as second language, I didn't perform the best communication.

This round is the final round on Assessment Day, candidates who pass this round will go to day 3, which is a final interview!! But I didn't pass this round. I found out that those who passed this round, they came out with some solutions for the situation, while I just tried to apologize and comfort the customer, I guess that's the reason.

While I regret that I was so close to Dubai, I am also glad that I got a such special interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • The role-play part to comfort the angry customer (recruiter) is difficult! If you don't have such experience, should try to practice!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Emirates in May 2014.

I thought I would let you know my recent experience with Emirates for those of you newly applying. It was yesterday in New York (5/17/14) I was invited to the open day.

Open Day 1: They spoke about the company and what will be expected as a FA with emrites and how you will have to move to Dubai. The speech took about a hour and half. After the presentation everyone needed to have a copy of their resume along with a photo. We all waited one by one to hand our resumes to the HR recruitment team member. They asked two question, "Do you have any tattoos" and "Why do you want to
    be a FA?"

They told us they will be scanning over our resumes and will give the candidates a call before 6pm if they want to see them back on 5/18/14.

I received a call and went back the next day at 9:00a. There was 20 people in my group of call backs.

Assessment Day 2: In this round of interviews they put us in two groups of ten. We were asked to sit in numerical order in a circle and section us off in pairs of two. They handed the pairs of two one index card.

The cards were either a object or a city. We had to discuss what ways we would use the object or what kind of things there was to do in the city. For example one was a apple or the city London. While we were discussing what we could do with the card given they called upon us one by one for the reach test and asked us one
    question if we had any visible moles are scars. After the reach test we gave our answers in pairs.

After all this they explained they are going to send us out and call us back in and we will receive a paper whether we were chosen or not for the 3rd round. They called out our numbers one by one and handed each of us a folded piece of paper which we had to exit the room and we read our papers "Congratulations" or "Unfortunately"

I was not chosen and they told us they will not tell us why we were not chosen.

Some say they think it was maybe a mole or a scar they have. Who knows I do have a scar on my face but it's not noticeable at all unless I point it out.

I was not going to take the job if they offered because I didn't want to move to Dubai. I only went to experience the process because I do want to apply to airlines within the U.S. So I was very relieved I was eliminated.

Hope this helps everyone who is wanting to apply.

Human Resources Temp Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Emirates in April 2012.

Fairly straightforward interview process. Basic interview with their HR dept. It was a group interview. No surprises. I met with their HR employee and ask fairly easy questions about my experience and knowledge. It was a very quick job offer since it was for a temp job.

Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Emirates in May 2009.

My interview at Emirates was the most thorough experience I've ever had. The online application takes a long time, be ready! I was asked to do online personality tests which were easy and not that complicated to figure out what makes you a good employee (answer: I like to work on my own vs I am really good at working with a team). When I was asked to come to meet the managers, I had to prepare a presentation, meet with people separately and work on an assignment on the spot. It felt good overall.

Interview Questions
    • tell us what you think about a specific program. (something the company had clearly approved and endorsed).   View Answer
    Do your research upfront and if salary is important stand up for what you want. They will try to get the lowest salary possible from you. You will not get a raise later, except for the minimal cost of living increase. Promotions are really tough to obtain. Bonuses can be really good but only based on companies results.

Senior Airport Services Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Emirates.

it all started with an open day in my home country , then we had an english test and psychometric test
    the next day we were invited for 1to1 interview ,where they asked the usual questions

Interview Questions
    • as its a customer service position , i was asked to give the most challenging situation i've enountered an d how did i solve it   View Answer
    all terms are negotiable except the leave days , as its a country rule

Sales Executive Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Emirates.

Competency based interviews asking for examples from past experience and previous positions. Plus at a second interview I was asked to do a short presentation on market conditions and the emirates brand

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a difficult negotiation   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

interviewed at Emirates in November 2013.

There were 4 rounds on Assessment Day, which starts with a group discussion alongside a brief conversation with the recruiter, an English test, another round of group discussion, and finally, a one-to-one interview. I didn't get past the first round, during which candidates had to discuss and come up with suggestions for a one-day tour around the city. The recruiter would observe the discussion before deciding which candidates could go onto the next round. During the one-on-one chat which is part of the first round, the recruiter collected our CVs and asked us questions based on that. The recruiter looked neutral during the process so it was hard to judge how she decided which candidates could go through.

Cabin Crew Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kowloon (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kowloon (Hong Kong)

interviewed at Emirates in August 2013.

Open Day Walk-in Interview in Hong Kong:
    1) Arm reach check
    2) Sit in the waiting room
    3) Wait to be called in groups
    4) Asked to discuss in a group the importance and ranking of " love, happiness, money, fame, appearance"

Be warned that these interviews has nothing to do with how well you speak or your language ability - Your admission to the second round/ assessment day depends on whether your face and height matches with the candidate they have in mind

The venue and the staff Emirates chose to choose did not match up to the standard they are famous for on their flights - staff were unprofessionally dressed and mannered, no presentation or introduction speech was given regarding the company, the venue was run down (they made no effort to show that it was an open day for Emirates - no banners, logos, signs whatsoever)

Interview Questions
    • N/A - it doesn't what they ask you at this stage because they are not looking at your answer. They are looking at whether your face fits in what they are looking for; and in this case it was the typical HK girl look   View Answer