Emmis Communications Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.6

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Austin, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I met with the head of the Intern Program at a career fair held at my university. I spoke with the head of the intern program and the current HR intern who was also at the event helping recruit. After speaking I received both of there emails and was told to email my resume. After I emailed my resume I was sent an Intern Packet (which describes in detail what your responsibilities at each intern position would be) and an application to fill out after you looked over which intern position you're interested in. After sending the email with my application I was contacted and asked to do an interview with the intern supervisor and their intern. After the interview I was contacted a week or 2 later and offered the internship

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions, give an example of yourself overcoming a difficult situation, tell us about a time you worked with a group, give us an example of how you overcame an argument/disagreement with a co-worker/group work and etc.   Answer Question

Digital Brand Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Emmis Communications in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward, but communication via e-mail was short and information provided was very vague. When asked to finally come in was told to just show up at 3pm on Friday. No information was given to where to go, who to ask for, where to park (it's downtown Indy) so I found that a little frustrating. Took a half day off and went on a Friday to meet at 3. The person I interviewed with showed up about 15 minutes late...so wasn't very impressed so far. Interview was pretty standard as I've been doing exactly what they required for the past 3 years and had more than enough experience. Thought it went well and was told be in touch next week to maybe show a few examples of some of my work. Followed up with e-mail after interview, and after not hearing anything for a week followed up again. Again...nobody responded with anything. Seems to be the status quo for companies to not follow up and allow job searches to take our valuable time off from work and pay parking, etc to not even get a response that you didn't get a job.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Austin, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

Fairly easy - but a lengthly process. Lots of waiting to hear back, being passed between different interviews. I was interning at the company at the time, so that made waiting more difficult. In the end, it was worth it.

Interview Questions

• If you had an issue with someone on the team, how would you address it?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Austin, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

For the phone screen, the questions were basic but sounded planned, mostly general questions. For the bench test, it's a nasty piece of work. The manager seems proud of the fact this bench-test has taken up to eight hours for junior developers (even saying repeatedly that it made a developer cry). The irony is the bench test is an utterly ridiculous and complicated gotcha that no decent front-end developer would ever allow to run on the front end, which unfortunately smokescreens the real goal of just showing a basic framework architecture.

Interview Questions

• Using a 9,000-line json file, get some math value for each child-property, then show it in a sortable table.   1 Answer

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

We had one phone interview with the promise of a 2nd, the second never happened. In fact no phone call or email at all. Even after the manager claimed to be impressed. They never hired anyone for the position. I think they were on a fishing expedition. I feel I gave them too much information and I could hear them using my advice.

Interview Questions

• If you were hired, what is the first thing you would change.   1 Answer

Radio Personality Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (New York, NY).

Interview

I was extremely fortunate, as an Emmis employee heard me on the air in another state while they were travelling through...They called me and urged me to apply to their NYC station. The provided me the appropriate PD's name to apply to. This individual told me to send my best audio demo and resume, as well as a professional photo. The individual highly recommended me to the PD at the particular radio station. I received a phone call from the Program Director, who did a brief interview over the phone, and tried to ascertain my level of interest in possibly relocating or how difficult a commute I might have if I were not to relocate. He set an in person interview a month later. The day I interviewed, I was in his office for 10-15 minutes before I was offered a job on the spot. There was nothing difficult about the interview.

Negotiation

Negotations were not possible, because as a union member (AFTRA), salary rates were already set by the union, and they were excellent anyway, so there was no need for me to want to negotiate.

Account Executive Interview

Interview

2 in person interviews and a two hour phone call

Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Emmis Communications in June 2013.

Interview

Started with a standard phone interview. Not too much information given about the role except that it needed to be fulfilled quickly for their growing media team. I was asked to come in for a an in-person interview. The interview was short. No upper management was available to see me. So I was stuck to be judged by 2 current planners. They had no clue of what they were doing and barely had any real questions for me pertaining to the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Do you have any experience in video or social?   Answer Question

Digital Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Saint Louis, MO) in December 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview with Annie Frey. Followed up by an in-person interview. During this interview I was asked question for the job and brought my portfolio work.

Interview Questions

• Who do you listen to from Emmis Communicaitons radio stations? Which Stations?   1 Answer

Promotions Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Emmis Communications (Austin, TX) in June 2012.

Interview

Easy going, vera directo and to the pointer. There were no hard questions. Toka about one week to find out weather or not i was moví g forward. Once hi red THE trainning procesos was very simple and fast. Its a sido Job at most.