Emmis Communications Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2014

2.5

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Emmis Communications in February 2012.

Applied via snail mail because they didn't have an online career website. Initially got an email from direct supervisor asking to schedule an on-site interview. When I went on-site for my interview I checked in with the receptionist to inform the manager I was there. Had to wait 30-45 minutes to before I finally was able to interview.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you had to facilitate yourself into a leadership role?   Answer Question
    Unpaid internship.

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Emmis Communications in November 2013.

We had one phone interview with the promise of a 2nd, the second never happened. In fact no phone call or email at all. Even after the manager claimed to be impressed. They never hired anyone for the position. I think they were on a fishing expedition. I feel I gave them too much information and I could hear them using my advice.

Interview Questions
    • If you were hired, what is the first thing you would change.   View Answer

Programming Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Emmis Communications in June 2010.

Group interview, but everyone is given an equal opportunity to speak.

Radio Personality Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Emmis Communications.

I was extremely fortunate, as an Emmis employee heard me on the air in another state while they were travelling through...They called me and urged me to apply to their NYC station. The provided me the appropriate PD's name to apply to. This individual told me to send my best audio demo and resume, as well as a professional photo. The individual highly recommended me to the PD at the particular radio station. I received a phone call from the Program Director, who did a brief interview over the phone, and tried to ascertain my level of interest in possibly relocating or how difficult a commute I might have if I were not to relocate. He set an in person interview a month later. The day I interviewed, I was in his office for 10-15 minutes before I was offered a job on the spot. There was nothing difficult about the interview.

Negotations were not possible, because as a union member (AFTRA), salary rates were already set by the union, and they were excellent anyway, so there was no need for me to want to negotiate.

Account Executive Interview

2 in person interviews and a two hour phone call

Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Emmis Communications in June 2013.

Started with a standard phone interview. Not too much information given about the role except that it needed to be fulfilled quickly for their growing media team. I was asked to come in for a an in-person interview. The interview was short. No upper management was available to see me. So I was stuck to be judged by 2 current planners. They had no clue of what they were doing and barely had any real questions for me pertaining to the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. Do you have any experience in video or social?   Answer Question

Promotion and Marketing Intern At Hot 97 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Emmis Communications in May 2011.

The process took about two months. I emailed my resume and received a phone call for a in-person group interview. The interview was very simple and enjoyable. I was called in for a second in-person interview a few weeks later. I did not hear from them and so I decided to follow up with a phone call. I received an offer.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Emmis Communications in June 2008.

Interview process wasn't bad, interviewed with National Sales Manager and then four of the General Sales Managers for each station and finally the Market Manager.

Interview Questions
    Wasn't too much negotiating. I asked for a salary and it was granted.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Emmis Communications in February 2012.

I applied on a Thursday and was called a few days later on a Tuesday to interview on Friday of the same week. When I arrived I was asked to fill out an application, redundant as I had already filled one in completely online, but the interview went well. I was asked about previous employers and told I had a lot of experience and asked if I would also be interested in a sales position later down the road. I wasn't sure if I was being interviewed for the sales assistant or sales executive position. After that I was asked what salary I'd like to make, and I asked what they were offering someone with skills like mine. Overall the interview went well but they filled it internally.

Los Angeles Magazine Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Emmis Communications in August 2010.

Generally easy. Reviewed resume and discussed various skills. The portfolio presentation took the majority of time followed by meeting a series of people and editors

Interview Questions

Worked for Emmis Communications? Contribute to the Community!